• Dec 17th, 2014 2:25 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
5156 posts
1315 upvotes
London
DoughHead wrote: If you get hired anytime between October and December, you will be fired in the first week of January. No matter what they tell you, you absolutely will be fired. They hire a ton of people for the Christmas shopping season (boxing day specifically) and let them all go afterwards. My location had no problem lying to 15 new workers, promising them all they'd have full-time jobs.

The job itself was pretty enjoyable. You get a lot of pressure to sell product service plans (Future Shop warranty), but that's the only downside. The base pay is minimum wage, so I guess that sucks as well. But honestly, it's such a relaxing and chill job. Because they hire so many people around this time, most of your shift is spent standing around and maybe interacting with 2 or 3 customers per hour. The day goes by so fast.

If you like electronics, you'll love the job. Just don't expect to make good money or be with them past January 10.
Anyone applying at those times of the year are aware that these positions are seasonal as that's what it says in the postings when you apply online. I doubt they promised 15 people full-time jobs as everyone is part-time except for the management team a handful of non-management people. There is a chance of some seasonal people being offered permanent positions as our store retained about 8 seasonal people. Turnover is relatively low compared to other retail stores so you're not going to be seeing 15 new people added to the team when the slowest seasons in retail approaches.

And seeing as how you were "chill and relaxed" and "stood around talking to 2 customers an hour", it's no surprise they didn't keep you. At least pretend that you're somewhat engaged.
Nov 8, 2014
161 posts
31 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
spham wrote: Anyone applying at those times of the year are aware that these positions are seasonal as that's what it says in the postings when you apply online. I doubt they promised 15 people full-time jobs as everyone is part-time except for the management team a handful of non-management people.
Frankly, it doesn't matter what you think. You have no idea what you are talking about. I was in the training rooms when everyone was told (multiple times) they had room for all of the new hires and were looking to keep them after the holiday season. They lied. Period. We all knew they were lying, but they had no problem doing it. The reason(s) why they lied are obvious; they want people to take the job seriously and, most of all, they want people to show up on boxing day.
spham wrote: There is a chance of some seasonal people being offered permanent positions as our store retained about 8 seasonal people. Turnover is relatively low compared to other retail stores so you're not going to be seeing 15 new people added to the team when the slowest seasons in retail approaches.
What location? If turnover is low, you wouldn't have room for 8 new hires. Sounds like total BS.
spham wrote: And seeing as how you were "chill and relaxed" and "stood around talking to 2 customers an hour", it's no surprise they didn't keep you. At least pretend that you're somewhat engaged.
Strike 1: I found another job 2 weeks into my stay and told them I'd be leaving to work full-time with the other company in January. I left. They didn't let me go.

Strike 2: What is expected of you and your co-workers at your fictional Future Shop location when the store is empty most of the day? Sales associates are instructed to stand and be ready for customers. If there aren't customers, you wait. Cleaning is completed pre and post shift. You are to be ready and able to assist customers during your shift.

Wanna make another dumb comment so I can watch you whiff at the ball again?