Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 7, 2010
375 posts
4 upvotes
Brampton

Whats the quality of Costco gas?

Had to buy a few large items from Costco the other week, so I finally sold my soul and got a card. Was thinking about filling up at their gas bar, but not to sure, sometimes when I see something for too cheap makes me wonder why. I drive a Mercedes so I only put in premium 91 or 94 octane, but I was wondering whats the quality of Costco's gas, is it on par with Shell, or is it more like the no name pumps Tru value and the like?
62 replies
Dec 23, 2010
112 posts
6 upvotes
I was told a few yrs ago Shell is not that good & that was when I loved Shell because I get airmiles & so forth, I been using costco gas for a while now & it seems pretty good have had no problems with it
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2006
4150 posts
151 upvotes
North York
I get the best mileage with Costco gas but I am not willing to drive to Warden/Ellesmere and wait half an hour or more. I waste as much as I save!
Korean girlfriends? Learn to Google? Save money?
What RFD can do for you?

If you drive dangerously I hope you get caught and lose your license/car/dignity! :twisted: :twisted:
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24879 posts
2466 upvotes
Ottawa
As a past MB and BMW owner, I ways got Shell premium gas as I knew there was no ethanol in it. The only 91 octane that had no ethanol. There was a clear mileage advantage as well as a performance advantage. The car ran way better using Shell than any other gas (Sunoco was OK too).
So, gas at Costco? Costco gas is gas from whatever refinery sells to them cheaest. Same as CT/Superstore or any other independant gas stations.
It’s not how far you fall that counts. It’s how high you bounce that counts! General G Patton
Jan 10, 2008
495 posts
24 upvotes
Frankly, I would love to fill up with Costco but I'm not willing to line up with 10 cars in front of me!
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
527 upvotes
Rocky03 wrote:
May 27th, 2011 10:10 am
Frankly, I would love to fill up with Costco but I'm not willing to line up with 10 cars in front of me!

yes same here, firstly there is no close by costco gas station by my home and the one downtown is usually like 10 car line up, they only got like 6 pumps and the people there fill up like asses too. just fill pay and go, geez.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2104 posts
102 upvotes
Regina
I remember reading something about this previously. I can't remember if it was on RFD or another forum I'm a member of. Anyways, the answer was Costco gas comes from Shell or Esso depending on pricing.

I've had no issue with the quality of gas at Costco.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
5784 posts
1387 upvotes
When the wait wasn't ridiculous,I was getting excellent mileage.
Its cheap because Costco isn't adding the extra 7c+ every other station adds to their pocket at our expense. Drive 30-45 min from the city and stations are selling (and still profiting) at the same price as Costco.
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2009
4999 posts
526 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
antichrysler wrote:
May 27th, 2011 11:11 am
I remember reading something about this previously. I can't remember if it was on RFD or another forum I'm a member of. Anyways, the answer was Costco gas comes from Shell or Esso depending on pricing.

I've had no issue with the quality of gas at Costco.

I read that other RFD forum; I remember the email from Costco to the RFD member said the gas comes from PetroCan.
Apr 5, 2010
743 posts
20 upvotes
I tried their gas one time when there wasn't a line. I filled up and when I idled it would start to stall and then jump back to a higher rpm. I knew it was the gas. The gas bar was maybe 2 or 3 weeks old at most so it could have been the tank contaminents.

Well, I reset the PCM and the problem was gone. My thoughts is that the gas wasn't up to par with the Shell/Petro gas I was using, so the PCM was used to that setting, got some costco gas in and ran like crap.

Well, these are just my thoughts, dont flame, it may be different now.
[OP]
Jan 7, 2010
375 posts
4 upvotes
Brampton
Well, I know the Petro is using Sunoco, now that Sunoco have shutdown their corp locations. I've been using mostly Shell, as have been told about the Ethanol. So I'm just wondering about Costco, is it Shell, is it Sunoco, Esso, or is it like the no name gas bars we see on some corners.

Really don't want to damage my car jus to save a few cents/litre.
[OP]
Jan 7, 2010
375 posts
4 upvotes
Brampton
qaz393 wrote:
May 27th, 2011 5:33 pm
it smells better than petro canada

lol, as funny as that is, its sooo tru. I can't stand the smell of petro canada's gas.
Dec 12, 2009
200 posts
33 upvotes
used to get my gas from costco untill the lineups were 1/2 hr long. i had absolutely no problems with costco gas.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 25, 2003
5025 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
according to my car fuel economy calculator on my Altima.

With the same driving i tested it out...

I get the best economy from Petro at 9.1 L /100km
Shell/Esso/Costco come in roughly at 9.4/9.5 L /100 KM
Perfect 80-0 Heatware

Pickup only from Victoria Park and 401 area.
× < >