• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2018 6:10 am
[OP]
May 7, 2008
556 posts
182 upvotes
Toronto

What's the scam here - Free TV off a back of a truck

I was approached in Flemingdon Park by two young guys in broad daylight in the afternoon, who were trying to give away free Samsung 50" screen TVs.

I didn't engage them much but their story was that they had just won some lottery and they were going to deliver these TVs and now they don't care anymore and just wanted to get rid of them

Wanted to find out what the scam was - but was in a rush and didn't want to be scammed!

For weeks, I've been trying to figure out how they would have scammed me - anyone come across this one before?
13 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1802 posts
286 upvotes
m4r 1k8
antihero wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 1:10 am
I was approached in Flemingdon Park by two young guys in broad daylight in the afternoon, who were trying to give away free Samsung 50" screen TVs.

I didn't engage them much but their story was that they had just won some lottery and they were going to deliver these TVs and now they don't care anymore and just wanted to get rid of them

Wanted to find out what the scam was - but was in a rush and didn't want to be scammed!

For weeks, I've been trying to figure out how they would have scammed me - anyone come across this one before?
tv is preloaded with microphones to see when owner is home etc? get a good enough schedule going and ... not such a free tv
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
15540 posts
12054 upvotes
Toronto
Box full of rocks
An earlier version of this article incorrectly described a behavior of crows exposed to crow corpses. Live crows only touch, attack and attempt intercourse with crow corpses, they do not scavenge them. (Actual NYT correction)
Penalty Box
Feb 11, 2015
979 posts
13061 upvotes
Toronto, ON
they high story you over to somewhere where there are a few more lottery winners gathered. they steal your underpants.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18863 posts
3986 upvotes
Thornhill
There's a dude hidden inside the TV. They have enough rations to last a week, and once the coast is clear, they'll exit the TV, and open your doors for their friends to come Netflix and chill.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9187 posts
3588 upvotes
Toronto
If it's too good to be true, usually is.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Oct 18, 2007
289 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto
hidden camera. becareful
antihero wrote:

Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5364 posts
1141 upvotes
Whitby
fuzionx23 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 6:37 am
hidden camera. becareful
So he would get a free camera and a free tv?
Dec 12, 2017
96 posts
36 upvotes
coriolis wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 8:42 am
There's a dude hidden inside the TV. They have enough rations to last a week, and once the coast is clear, they'll exit the TV, and open your doors for their friends to come Netflix and chill.
If this is to be the legit answer, then the TV should be a TUBE TV lol No wonder they wanted to give it away for free
Jan 3, 2018
22 posts
3 upvotes
Well this is my first post...
The scam works something like this...
- guy in truck is normally looking for customers in places like Best Buy or Home Depot or Canadian Tire...in my case I have seen these guys in Canadian Tire many times.
- once someone shows interest in their offer, they take you in one empty corner of the parking lot and show you the goods...say the TV
- you then negotiate the price.
- then you pay them and one of them will load the TV in your car
- you go home and unbox the TV
- you will find a TV in the box...just that it won't even turn on...because it is broken from the inside...looks good from outside but it doesn't work.
I was able to catch the scam as my friend's shop was opposite the CT and asked him to go to his shop...plug in the TV and prove that it is working fine...the guy in truck said NO and drove off. The next time there was another guy in same CT and ready to turn on the TV but it didn't work at all. He then offered the TV for $20...now no one approaches me in the CT parking lot any more... :)
Just ask the question...don't worry what people will think...they are the same idiots who made you ask this question !!!
Apr 25, 2017
60 posts
23 upvotes
North Vancouver
girikiti wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 1:22 pm
Well this is my first post...
The scam works something like this...
- guy in truck is normally looking for customers in places like Best Buy or Home Depot or Canadian Tire...in my case I have seen these guys in Canadian Tire many times.
- once someone shows interest in their offer, they take you in one empty corner of the parking lot and show you the goods...say the TV
- you then negotiate the price.
- then you pay them and one of them will load the TV in your car
- you go home and unbox the TV
- you will find a TV in the box...just that it won't even turn on...because it is broken from the inside...looks good from outside but it doesn't work.
I was able to catch the scam as my friend's shop was opposite the CT and asked him to go to his shop...plug in the TV and prove that it is working fine...the guy in truck said NO and drove off. The next time there was another guy in same CT and ready to turn on the TV but it didn't work at all. He then offered the TV for $20...now no one approaches me in the CT parking lot any more... :)
But the OP says they were giving the TV's away for free.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1844 posts
547 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I was approached by these people at my local TD Bank branch. Dude approached me as I was getting to my car and simply asked me if I wanted a TV.

I politely refused. Both men were white, looked to be in their 40s, and seemed Italian...
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2005
1803 posts
732 upvotes
Ottawa
antihero wrote:

Maybe they'll ask you to pay the enviro fee or the sales tax or something like that before they give you a dead TV.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7145 posts
514 upvotes
antihero wrote:

Lot of wrong info on this page....this is a twist on the traditional "White Van scam". They won't be free, for sure, but that delivery line, "going to deliver and now don't care" is pretty close to their SOP. They are no name televisions, but they will have printed materials trying to convince you they're high end, and it's basically a haggle game. Google the scam and you'll see.
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.