Food & Drink

What's with the steep rise in basic grocery prices ??

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2016 7:21 pm
Tags:
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough

What's with the steep rise in basic grocery prices ??

Just noticed a 3lbs Onions bag is now $3.49 at freshco(it was $1.99), $2.97 at NoFrills in the flyer.

Garlic already up from 67cents to like $1.50 for a pack of 5 bulbs. (chinese garlic, not even local)

What's the excuse now all of a sudden to increase price by more than a dollar? Employees are not getting raises at all and still.

What else is going up without any genuine excuses?
64 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
You do realize that produce prices fluctuate every single week and store to store,often by more than a dollar, and neither garlic nor onions are in season domestically?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
I agree, Groceries are so expensive these days. I'm spending so much every week now just for a few bags of food. A small pack of lunch meat (four slices) is over $6 just an example. That's only enough for one sandwich., cheap hotdogs over $6. Sometimes I think it's cheaper just to eat out.

BTW, it's better to buy the loose garlic from California, than the five pack from China. You don't know what's in their soil.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
I get 2 2lb bags of onions at the Asian store for $2. Have noticed it went up to $2.50 last time I bought.

I usually buy the peeled Chinese garlic.

Usually as low as $2.99/lb but last I checked it was $5.99/lb.

I ended up buying a three pack of unpeeled chinese garlic for 79cents recently from No Frills.

Might be a shortage? I know certain seasonal stuff are always expensive or non existent at some stores.

Long Beans and Fresh Okras for example.

Las time I bought fresh Okras think the guy at the Asian store made mistake with the pricing on his labels and I got it for $1.99/lb instead of the $3.99/lb.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
559 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
I buy quantity packs at Costco. They get the best, largest bananas, apples, oranges, etc at prices often lower than the rest.
All prices have gone up. Blame the low Canadian dollar, Wynne's Ontario Hydro rates, and gas prices that have not come down much without more pipeleines. It costs grocers a lot to do business here, and there is no end in sight

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
Yeah its a huge difference between an Asian grocery store and the regular stores. Sweet melon at Loblaws is $5, Oceans only $2.99. Papaya at loblaws $2.49; Oceans - $1.29.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
Raggie wrote: I agree, Groceries are so expensive these days. I'm spending so much every week now just for a few bags of food. A small pack of lunch meat (four slices) is over $6 just an example. That's only enough for one sandwich., cheap hotdogs over $6. Sometimes I think it's cheaper just to eat out.

BTW, it's better to buy the loose garlic from California, than the five pack from China. You don't know what's in their soil.
I do cringe every time I buy Chinese garlic as I try to avoid all edible stuff originating from China.

Hypocritically I do eat Chinese food sometimes. :)

you don't always get non Chinese garlic and when you do, it's really expensive.

I don't eat much cold cuts but used to like the schneiders packaged fat free chicken slices.

Used to be $2.49 per pack. Not sure weight.

Now that they've discontinued the fat free chciken and with their new country Naturals line, prices have skyrocketed.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
Schneiders/Maple Leaf had all those $2.50 coupons on pack - I have been getting great deals on lunch meat $1/pack, bacon $1/pack, ham $4/800g, and so on.

At this time of year distributors are running out of the last N. American onions in storage from last year. Peak price - prices will bottom out again in August/September when this year's crop comes in.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4128 posts
946 upvotes
Sask.
Sure, most things have gone up in price over these past months - but interestingly, I've found the same two as you have - unusual that they are pricey - onions and garlic. Here, potatoes are also crazy expensive, compared to 'normal'.
Not having onions isn't an option in this house, I cook with them daily. Same with garlic - though I have been using some jarred, and some garlic powder - though for some recipes, one definitely needs real garlic. I want my 1kg pack of cheap garlic back!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
Garlic surprises me, as the bulbs in my garden are nearly ready.
Somewhere a farmer likely got a head start on me (as with any produce, likely southern states) and has some being harvested right now.
But I guess that's not the cheap stuff from China, so it may very well cost this much anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
8086 posts
3872 upvotes
I buy my produce in Chinatown...it's usually very cheap compared to large grocery stores.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote: I buy my produce in Chinatown...it's usually very cheap compared to large grocery stores.
Kensington market is also pretty good.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2712 posts
678 upvotes
Burlington
If you have dirt, grow your own onions and garlic. About the easiest things to grow. They thrive on neglect :) . Plant garlic in October, dump leaves on top...harvest early July
Not your standard VoIP. Different and novel options & advice for my RFD friends.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
transitguy1 wrote: What's the excuse now all of a sudden to increase price by more than a dollar? Employees are not getting raises at all and still.
It may depend on where it comes from. Google the words "price increase" and "Onions and Garlic" and there is news from various places about an increase.
Here's one place: http://bdnews24.com/business/2016/02/19 ... luctuating
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7950 posts
3610 upvotes
lecale wrote: Schneiders/Maple Leaf had all those $2.50 coupons on pack - I have been getting great deals on lunch meat $1/pack, bacon $1/pack, ham $4/800g, and so on.

At this time of year distributors are running out of the last N. American onions in storage from last year. Peak price - prices will bottom out again in August/September when this year's crop comes in.
I am SO stocked up on bacon from those coupons!! when RCSS had it for $2.50 and $3.50.

Interesting about the price of onions, thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9404 posts
5374 upvotes
Raggie wrote: I agree, Groceries are so expensive these days. I'm spending so much every week now just for a few bags of food. A small pack of lunch meat (four slices) is over $6 just an example. That's only enough for one sandwich., cheap hotdogs over $6. Sometimes I think it's cheaper just to eat out.

We have actually had much success growing garlic in our garden. I believe it goes in the ground in the fall and then takes about nine months to grow. It doesn't need a lot of attention and the garlic is absolutely amazing. Not like store-bought and I agree with you about avoiding garlic from China. When you can grow this yourself, that is the ultimate.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
It doesn't matter. The inflation calculation says we are at historical lows. So just don't pay attention to food prices.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
16073 posts
910 upvotes
Stouffville

where are you shopping for this $6 lunch meat and hot dogs? seems way too much..

if you want luncheon meat, go to a deli and buy fresh cold cuts.. for that $6, u can get like 300 grams of black forrest ham, which is enough for like 6 sandwiches... and i see 6-8 packs of hot dogs on all the time for $3

and considering what the minimum wage is right now.. id say still being able to get 4L milk for $3.99 and 12 eggs for $2 is pretty good... Milk was the same price back 20 years ago, when the minimum wage was half of what it is now..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)