Off Topic

What's stopping postal workers from discarding/stealing small packages?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2019 3:09 pm
[OP]
Oct 30, 2010
238 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto

What's stopping postal workers from discarding/stealing small packages?

It's a serious question because I really think my small/cheap packages are being discarded/stolen by Canada Post workers. I mean what's stopping them from just bagging it since it's usually untracked? If some ******* sees I ordered a mouse for example, what's stopping him from just taking it while doing a delivery route? I've ordered ~20 small, untracked parcels, and so far ~12 of them have still not been delivered after 3 months, I'm 99% sure they're never gonna get delivered. That's a 60% undelivered/loss rate, absolutely ridiculous. Fortunately I'm successfully getting refunds on pretty much every single one, but the seller is also taking a loss here.
38 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2061 posts
1092 upvotes
Umm, lets see. Most Canada Post delivery workers could never find another job that they get to exercise all day long at, and get paid for it. They face criminal prosecution if caught, not just getting fired from their job. They deliver so many parcels every year of varying values that opening up little packets from China simply isn't worth it. If they open the wrong one up, they potentially face exposure to very dangerous substances like Fentanyl which is probably incorporated surreptitiously into those mountains of trinket packages that come from China.

Even if the package was properly declared, a 'mouse' could just be a synonym for a dildo or something. Its not like a Canada Post employee can just go 'shopping' from the mail. Sure, they might deliver a package here and there for which the contents are obvious and verifiable, but stealing them?? Most CP thefts apparently have been diversions because the employee in question is either lazy/mentally ill, or physically not up for the demands of the job anymore. So a lot of mail gets thrown into a garbage dumpster or secretly hoarded.
Nov 25, 2015
7 posts
6 upvotes
York, ON
WAIT, YOU TOO?

I'M MISSING QUITE A FEW PACKAGES TOO AND SMALL ITEMS.

WHAT AREA ARE YOU IN? IM IN ETOBICOKE.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11443 posts
458 upvotes
I don't think I have ever had anything lost in the mail before, so that is quite a track record you have.

Is this stuff coming from China? Stuff from China can take months to arrive. How do you know it's Canada Post's fault?

One of the things that stops people doing things they're not supposed to do is a conscience. They don't ask "what's stopping me from..." they just know that it's wrong because they were born into a good culture, had a good upbringing, and aren't a piece of human garbage.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33279 posts
7392 upvotes
Ottawa
mbg wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 8:32 am
I don't think I have ever had anything lost in the mail before, so that is quite a track record you have.

Is this stuff coming from China? Stuff from China can take months to arrive. How do you know it's Canada Post's fault?

One of the things that stops people doing things they're not supposed to do is a conscience. They don't ask "what's stopping me from..." they just know that it's wrong because they were born into a good culture, had a good upbringing, and aren't a piece of human garbage.
I used to order stuff form EBay that originated in China. It took months to get, if I got it at all. I stopped ordering anything coming from China.
Blaming Canada Post may be wrong, it could very well be China Post.
I don't argue....I educate. Anonymous Best line I have heard in a very long time LOL
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24217 posts
1463 upvotes
Markham, ON
lol why would a postal work ...risk the huge wages...great benefits, great vacation times and stat holidays...and lastly a huge pension to steal a pc of $1 junk from China.

Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2281 posts
316 upvotes
In another world
I buy small and cheap stuff from China too, and I'm conscious items may get lost on their way, but never blame the postal office (it could happen in any postal office in China too, not just in Canada).

It's a gamble, so I check first the seller's reputation, to see if the seller offers good communication/refund or resend items.
Mostly, a good seller is aware of his/her reputation and instead of having a bad review and lose a customer, they offer a refund or to re-send another item for free.

The items can take more time than 3 months.

For example:
An item took almost 3 months, I contacted the seller, he offered another item. Both items arrived. I was supposed to return the extra item but the seller told me not to bother and to keep it.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
3631 posts
935 upvotes
Ottawa
Nothing other than the fear of getting caught but I think any issues you see are far more likely from the far end. Out of all the items I've ordered this year, 4 have failed to arrive and all 4 have been sent via SunYou Economic Air Mail. Coincidence?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4608 posts
1411 upvotes
Toronto
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 9:02 am
lol why would a postal work ...risk the huge wages...great benefits, great vacation times and stat holidays...and lastly a huge pension to steal a pc of $1 junk from China.

Exactly, if anything, I think potential thieves would avoid small packages shipped economy mail from China. They would probably go after things that look like greeting cards in case there's cash or gift cards in them.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2009
1734 posts
409 upvotes
Montreal
This could be done by the sellers as well.
There is a way to create fake tracking numbers.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5434 posts
1627 upvotes
Aurora
On the other hand, what's stopping you from stealing stuff from your own place of work?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5026 posts
2078 upvotes
it might be fun opening then stealing little packets. But how many bike bells would a postal worker want or need? It just gets tedious after a while.