Off Topic

What's stopping postal workers from discarding/stealing small packages?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2019 3:09 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6162 posts
2499 upvotes
Alberta
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 9:02 am
lol why would a postal work ...risk the huge wages...great benefits, great vacation times and stat holidays...and lastly a huge pension to steal a pc of $1 junk from China.

Most or nearly all delivery people are contracted. We get a new person approximately every 2 weeks.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6162 posts
2499 upvotes
Alberta
williamsauga wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 11:55 am
This could be done by the sellers as well.
There is a way to create fake tracking numbers.
Their tracking numbers never work with CP so it doesn't matter if they give you one or not.
Jul 22, 2019
236 posts
193 upvotes
You're stealing your employers time by posting on RFD during work hours.

A CP employee isn't going to take your aliexpress junk, they don't care what you order. They just do their job and done.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3651 posts
1091 upvotes
Parry Sound
simplypop wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 1:47 pm
You're stealing your employers time by posting on RFD during work hours.

A CP employee isn't going to take your aliexpress junk, they don't care what you order. They just do their job and done.
CP employees have x-ray vision and only steal the finest, most expensive items.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5648 posts
765 upvotes
This year I’ve never once received any free food sample or samplesource package that I’ve ordered. Before that, I’d always receive them. Nothing else has gone missing except that stuff. Now, it’s free so I’m not at a loss; but it’s annoying and does make me wonder what’s changed.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
2070 posts
1053 upvotes
Vancouver
Write down rules on their body
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17807 posts
2439 upvotes
Langley
I used to work at UPS.... there were a few times where employees would steal things. People who steal things don't just do it once. They do it, they get away with it, so they do it again. Eventually a pattern gets noticed, they look at who's always nearby when things are going missing, and an employee gets surveilled and caught. In my 2+ years there, I watched 2 people get led out in handcuffs and heard about an offsite bust of one my former supervisors.

So some people do steal... but for most people, even those without morals, it's not worth it.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2017
1216 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
burnt69 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 12:56 am
Umm, lets see. Most Canada Post delivery workers could never find another job that they get to exercise all day long at, and get paid for it. They face criminal prosecution if caught, not just getting fired from their job. They deliver so many parcels every year of varying values that opening up little packets from China simply isn't worth it. If they open the wrong one up, they potentially face exposure to very dangerous substances like Fentanyl which is probably incorporated surreptitiously into those mountains of trinket packages that come from China.

Even if the package was properly declared, a 'mouse' could just be a synonym for a dildo or something. Its not like a Canada Post employee can just go 'shopping' from the mail. Sure, they might deliver a package here and there for which the contents are obvious and verifiable, but stealing them?? Most CP thefts apparently have been diversions because the employee in question is either lazy/mentally ill, or physically not up for the demands of the job anymore. So a lot of mail gets thrown into a garbage dumpster or secretly hoarded.
Oh yeah stiff penalties and being fired from the job is the reason why no employee has ever stolen anything from their company right?
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17726 posts
1759 upvotes
Space for rent
burnt69 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 12:56 am
Umm, lets see. Most Canada Post delivery workers could never find another job that they get to exercise all day long at, and get paid for it. They face criminal prosecution if caught, not just getting fired from their job. They deliver so many parcels every year of varying values that opening up little packets from China simply isn't worth it. If they open the wrong one up, they potentially face exposure to very dangerous substances like Fentanyl which is probably incorporated surreptitiously into those mountains of trinket packages that come from China.

Even if the package was properly declared, a 'mouse' could just be a synonym for a dildo or something. Its not like a Canada Post employee can just go 'shopping' from the mail. Sure, they might deliver a package here and there for which the contents are obvious and verifiable, but stealing them?? Most CP thefts apparently have been diversions because the employee in question is either lazy/mentally ill, or physically not up for the demands of the job anymore. So a lot of mail gets thrown into a garbage dumpster or secretly hoarded.
I hope you’re being facetious about fetanyl being in packages. I thought that stuff was like crack in rock or solid form? I’d have to question why a factory in China would be lacing small packages with this drug.

Please elaborate on the feasibility of why a factory in China manufacturing trinkets as their business would be doing this. What is their impetus to kill a few random foreigners.

I guess with ops question it’s possible they would be stealing this. Lots of people who work these menial jobs aren’t always caught stealing these small things and as with delivery it’s always a crap shoot. It’s almost design in to the system so some mid delivery is inherently accepted. May be in just naive but that’s been my experience. Who’s going to open an investigation in a -$10 item?
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17726 posts
1759 upvotes
Space for rent
i6s1 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 6:26 pm
I used to work at UPS.... there were a few times where employees would steal things. People who steal things don't just do it once. They do it, they get away with it, so they do it again. Eventually a pattern gets noticed, they look at who's always nearby when things are going missing, and an employee gets surveilled and caught. In my 2+ years there, I watched 2 people get led out in handcuffs and heard about an offsite bust of one my former supervisors.

So some people do steal... but for most people, even those without morals, it's not worth it.
Spot on. I’ve worked with people who said because a company is paying the minimum wage it’s their god given right to take a little off the top. Eat the food, steal the food. Pencils etc. Once or twice you feel invincible and you keep doing it until you’re caught.

I’ve seen cashiers steal or price items lower for themselves and their friends. I was working at one of the chains and the manager came up to a fellow worker and busted them in the lunch room for pricing an item lower than they should. Bam, fired.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2154 posts
1141 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
Sep 7th, 2019 12:13 am
I hope you’re being facetious about fetanyl being in packages. I thought that stuff was like crack in rock or solid form? I’d have to question why a factory in China would be lacing small packages with this drug.
Unfortunately, I'm not. It (and similarly dangerous medications) are powders. They can be ordered from the 'dark web' sort of sources and imported by way of concealment. Heck, even taobao and Alibaba's main websites, for a while, had listings of manufacturers that would ship such drugs, publicly available, right out in the open. Of course the people importing them know who what they are and take precautions accordingly, but there have actually been a few cases of postal workers exposed and the CUPW/CBSA has been demanding (and may very well have received) naloxone training and kits in the mail sorting workplaces.
Please elaborate on the feasibility of why a factory in China manufacturing trinkets as their business would be doing this. What is their impetus to kill a few random foreigners.
Narcotics addicts and dealers in Canada/US import the stuff and either sell it or use it personally for recreational purposes. It gets disguised in the mountains of trinket packages that ordinarily flow through the mail from China. The recipients know the dangers (and their habituation to narcotics is somewhat protective), but a postal worker that is randomly rifling through a bag of trinket packages they stole may not...
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17726 posts
1759 upvotes
Space for rent
burnt69 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2019 1:23 am
Unfortunately, I'm not. It (and similarly dangerous medications) are powders. They can be ordered from the 'dark web' sort of sources and imported by way of concealment. Heck, even taobao and Alibaba's main websites, for a while, had listings of manufacturers that would ship such drugs, publicly available, right out in the open. Of course the people importing them know who what they are and take precautions accordingly, but there have actually been a few cases of postal workers exposed and the CUPW/CBSA has been demanding (and may very well have received) naloxone training and kits in the mail sorting workplaces.

Narcotics addicts and dealers in Canada/US import the stuff and either sell it or use it personally for recreational purposes. It gets disguised in the mountains of trinket packages that ordinarily flow through the mail from China. The recipients know the dangers (and their habituation to narcotics is somewhat protective), but a postal worker that is randomly rifling through a bag of trinket packages they stole may not...
The story is so far fetch your immediate reaction is to dismiss it but if there’s money to be made, you can bet someone somewhere in China will sell it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatl ... le/596254/

I’m surprisingly unsurprised given all the past stories of tainted baby formula and fake eggs and god knows what else that’s manufactured out of there.
Aug 21, 2019
99 posts
76 upvotes
Canada post workers won't steal your small trinkets it's a unionized job. Sometimes mail just gets lost that's why you should get a tracking number for stuff you care about. Or maybe the seller is lying, maybe wrong address, etc.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23985 posts
9515 upvotes
mbg wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 8:32 am
I don't think I have ever had anything lost in the mail before, so that is quite a track record you have.
Assuming that the sender actually sends, technically I've had a couple.
But the more likely explanation (especially ordering from China) is that they never sent in the first place.
If you count this, I'm much much higher. Dozens over the years.

I'm gonna Hanlon's razor this one. It's not Canada Post (and not someone stealing) but rather the sender not sending.
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 1:59 pm
CP employees have x-ray vision and only steal the finest, most expensive items.
Which are also obviously always sent untracked.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2009
1060 posts
669 upvotes
39.0392° N, 125.7625…
mrweather wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 6:50 am
Stop yelling.
yElLinG? he'S jUST usINg aLl uPpeRCAse lEtTeRS.