Off Topic

What's stopping postal workers from discarding/stealing small packages?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2019 3:09 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2009
1060 posts
667 upvotes
39.0392° N, 125.7625…
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 9:02 am
lol why would a postal work ...risk the huge wages...great benefits, great vacation times and stat holidays...and lastly a huge pension to steal a pc of $1 junk from China.

In the Montreal, St. Laurent sorting depot there was a rash of suicides a few years ago. The workers there were under tremendous pressure to increase their output. It's not like the old days when a door-to-door delivery mailman could finish his route in 3 hrs. Some used to farm out the route to a buddy for $10/hr and work at a second job.
There is now a 2 tier system of pay: the older guys get the great pay and pension, the new hires are paid a lot less and have a defined contribution pension.

As for lost mail, there was a Quebec postal worker who had years' worth of mail (packages, envelopes..all unopened) stashed at his cottage in the Laurentians. He was either mentally ill or lazy, I forget which.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
1636 posts
469 upvotes
RSole wrote:
Sep 9th, 2019 7:57 pm
In the Montreal, St. Laurent sorting depot there was a rash of suicides a few years ago. The workers there were under tremendous pressure to increase their output. It's not like the old days when a door-to-door delivery mailman could finish his route in 3 hrs. Some used to farm out the route to a buddy for $10/hr and work at a second job.
There is now a 2 tier system of pay: the older guys get the great pay and pension, the new hires are paid a lot less and have a defined contribution pension.

As for lost mail, there was a Quebec postal worker who had years' worth of mail (packages, envelopes..all unopened) stashed at his cottage in the Laurentians. He was either mentally ill or lazy, I forget which.
probably both, but unfortunately smart thieves will never be caught. Just like some murder cases never got solved. Alot of times stuff from China never arrived but I get money back for that from dispute so that is not an issue. The only annoying thing is you have to dispute it.
Life is tough but so are you
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
4681 posts
577 upvotes
Ottawa
Keep in mind that if you're ordering something from China and it gets stolen, it could have been stolen before it ever arrived in Canada.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
1974 posts
991 upvotes
Are these packages from China or another Asian country? If yes, there's your answer....often stuff especially stuff with low value comes via ship that can take months...perhaps even lost/stolen en route. Not cool to blame Canada Post workers when you have no proof.

Also there are a lot of low lifes who still stuff from mailboxes, front porches.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5489 posts
872 upvotes
Toronto
In the olden days, postal workers were taken care of with great pay and pension just for this purpose.

These days, we all know what the near-retirees make compared to the new hires.

However, there is greater surveillance, tracking, and ways to investigate internal package theft.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2009
1060 posts
667 upvotes
39.0392° N, 125.7625…
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 9:50 pm
Keep in mind that if you're ordering something from China and it gets stolen, it could have been stolen before it ever arrived in Canada.

...or never shipped. I ordered about 5 single dose black ink refills for about a buck each, all separate eBay orders from different seller names (probably all the same seller) and never got them. They may say they shipped but hoping that you won't bother for one dollar, and just not ship it. I don't trust them, their government sanctions theft, especially of technology that furthers their quest for world dominance.
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
13864 posts
2961 upvotes
Markham
From 2008
Canada Post worker charged with mail theft
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/na ... le1349995/

Canada Post postal worker fired after mail goes missing
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal ... -1.2576826

Probe launched after Canada Post worker seemingly steals package
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/probe-launched-af ... -1.3174172

there are probably more
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23967 posts
9506 upvotes
Keigotw wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 9:15 pm
there are probably more
No one says it doesn't happen, but considering there's 3 reports (probably more, but not like several orders of magnitude more) from 2008 to 2016 that's not bad.

I was recently in a UPS AMA thread where someone told stories of crafty package stealing.
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ ... e/ezibrox/