• Dec 21st, 2015 10:28 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8550 posts
1437 upvotes
Toronto
betamaxman wrote: Head lettuce grown year round in canada? Sure.
I was of the impression Iceberg was grown in greenhouses using hydroponics so possible.

Romaine is growable this way too but sometimes I see lots of soil on Romaine.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2024 upvotes
Nowhere
Inflation for fresh fruits and vegetables is over 10%. They are warning that prices will be even higher in the new year. Overall inflation is low due to the price of gas but Canada has one of the highest rates of inflation for food. Meat is another one that is way up. Buy now and freeze them.
May 31, 2008
778 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto
ambujakshi wrote: I found this weeks price of tomatoes too expensive. 2.99 per lb almost everywhere.
No Frills wrote: The produce market tried to compete with the US dollar for many months I'm surprised they lasted this long

I was expecting even greater produce prices as they resorted to southwestern US and Mexico produce for the winter months
For what its worth- its the same price at Wegmans in the US.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18014 posts
1817 upvotes
Space for rent
gh05t wrote: I was of the impression Iceberg was grown in greenhouses using hydroponics so possible.

Well, at least now I don't feel stupid like that guy tried to make me feel by suggesting it's common knowledge.
The thing is I never saw price fluctuation in Iceberg lettuce before so I assumed it was grown year round.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2024 upvotes
Nowhere
Supercooled wrote: Well, at least now I don't feel stupid like that guy tried to make me feel by suggesting it's common knowledge.
The thing is I never saw price fluctuation in Iceberg lettuce before so I assumed it was grown year round.
Lettuce prices go up and down all the time.

Years ago when I worked in a grocery store, the price of peppers and grapes were sky high at Christmas time. Every cashier had bags of them by their register to go back after the customer saw the price. Some cashiers would just ring them in quickly so the customer wouldn't see the price, while others would actually tell the customer the estimated cost beforehand and let them decide to avoid having to do another void. I was really good at estimating the price. Our void sheets were full of these items. Don't take it out on the cashiers, they don't set the prices.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5634 posts
1786 upvotes
Cornwall PE
gh05t wrote: I was of the impression Iceberg was grown in greenhouses using hydroponics so possible.

Some varieties of leaf lettuce, and bib lettuce are grown hydroponic.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309