Travel

What's the ultimate way of beating those Airline fees?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2016 1:19 pm
[OP]
Apr 12, 2012
799 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto

I have decided that the best way to go forward is to buy shares of AC.B, WJA, UAL, DAL, AAL, HA
(This is not financial advice; please do your own research thank you)

This is only way that I could make back those unreasonable fees. The unreasonable fees become dividend in my pocket.

Any other suggestions?
The simplest acts of kindness are by far more powerful than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.
- Mahatma Gandhi
9 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32632 posts
6901 upvotes
Ottawa
The cheaper the airfare they offer, the more fees they need to charge.
Airlines need money to keep the aircraft in the air and pay the fees they need to pay to Governments, airports, vendors and authorities,
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4165 posts
1265 upvotes
Moncton
I actually made money with Air Canada way back when. I kept my shares for all of 3 days, checking the price in a panic every half our. Air Canada declared bankruptcy later that year. :)

The fees are annoying as they can be part of bait and switch marketing. But air travel has arguably never been cheaper. I've flown out of the country 6 times this year! And I make less than Canada's 2011 average income of $38,000 a year (but more than the median income of $27,000).

Read the fine print, pack accordingly. I concede capitalism isn't kind on the ignorant, stupid or unlucky. But for everybody else, it can be pretty sweet.

Also, if I hadn't spent it all travelling, Spirit, Ryanair, NewLeaf and Allegiant is where I'd put my money. Less is more in air travel.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32632 posts
6901 upvotes
Ottawa
MonctonMan wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 10:41 am
I actually made money with Air Canada way back when. I kept my shares for all of 3 days, checking the price in a panic every half our. Air Canada declared bankruptcy later that year. :)

The fees are annoying as they can be part of bait and switch marketing. But air travel has arguably never been cheaper. I've flown out of the country 6 times this year! And I make less than Canada's 2011 average income of $38,000 a year (but more than the median income of $27,000).

Read the fine print, pack accordingly. I concede capitalism isn't kind on the ignorant or stupid. But for everybody else, it can be pretty sweet.
Are you saying you did not pay fees when traveling?
Many of the fees are more often than not piled on the airline by others, outside of their control (baggage excepted). Fine print and packing has nothing to do with fees.
Not sure who you are calling "ignorant or stupid"?
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1269 posts
363 upvotes
Oakville
While that strategy may work for banks and telcos I'd avoid for airlines.

Every hear that old adage:
"How do you end up with a million bucks in the airline industry? Start with 10 million."

Long term, historically airlines have been poor investments. Things may be different now but the most dangerous words in investing are: "This time it's different"

I'm OK with this new airline model. No reason why everybody should pay the same price if each places different demands on the airline (e.g. no bags vs bags, meals, drinks, etc.).
The cost of your base ticket is cheaper because of all those extra fees. Airline fees are now very much a-la-carte - pay for what you use.

If only they'd start charging according per total weight, not that that'll ever happen.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4165 posts
1265 upvotes
Moncton
RETD wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 10:53 am

If only they'd start charging according per total weight, not that that'll ever happen.
Getting close:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10 ... -before-t/

Edit: Samoa Air actually makes paying by weight their slogan! http://www.samoaair.ws/
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/02/travel/sa ... by-weight/
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32632 posts
6901 upvotes
Ottawa
MonctonMan wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 11:03 am
Getting close:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10 ... -before-t/

Edit: Samoa Air actually makes paying by weight their slogan! http://www.samoaair.ws/
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/02/travel/sa ... by-weight/
On smaller aircraft weight is important and even more important is where the weight is. Center of gravity on aircraft is critical and just letting those big Samoans sit anywhere is not a good thing :) Even here in Canada, aircraft take off with empty seats because of the weight they are carrying.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4165 posts
1265 upvotes
Moncton
malakijoy wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 11:23 pm
Fly US airlines from US airports.
The US government charges 7.5% tax on intra-USA flights. There is a substantial flat tax for flying into the US in lieu of the 7.5% tax. US based airlines have plenty of fees for everything from changing tickets to bringing luggage on board.
Temp. Banned
Nov 18, 2015
751 posts
166 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
MonctonMan wrote:
Dec 11th, 2016 3:03 am
The US government charges 7.5% tax on intra-USA flights. There is a substantial flat tax for flying into the US in lieu of the 7.5% tax. US based airlines have plenty of fees for everything from changing tickets to bringing luggage on board.
I've flown from Bellingham and Seattle to Las Vegas and Tokyo and made substantial savings in "taxes/fees" compared to if had flown from Vancouver.
Malakijoys points programs tips

Favourite credit cards I have-Amex Business Gold.Amex Business SPG