Home & Garden

What's up with open concept kitchens??!!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2009 11:55 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3314 posts
182 upvotes
Thornhill

What's up with open concept kitchens??!!

Seems like these days it's impossible to find a closed kitchen. Why would anyone want that? Do people like smell of food in their living room? When your guest come in, you always have to make sure everything looks clean. While in a closed kitchen, it's away from everyone's eyes and no smell. And there's always smell. Garbage,food leftovers, some food stuck in the sink,etc,etc,etc.
I talk to my friends and they all agree it's stupid,and they also can't find a closed concept kitchens anymore.
Doesn't make any sense!!!
14 replies
Sep 28, 2009
333 posts
1 upvote
London
dazz wrote:
Dec 10th, 2009 3:38 pm
Seems like these days it's impossible to find a closed kitchen. Why would anyone want that? Do people like smell of food in their living room? When your guest come in, you always have to make sure everything looks clean. While in a closed kitchen, it's away from everyone's eyes and no smell. And there's always smell. Garbage,food leftovers, some food stuck in the sink,etc,etc,etc.
I talk to my friends and they all agree it's stupid,and they also can't find a closed concept kitchens anymore.
Really? All your kitchens stink? That's gross.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2005
1584 posts
66 upvotes
I'm not a fan either, but they are popular because they make both spaces (kitchen/living) feel much bigger. Our newer build has a somewhat open plan... the fact that the kitchen is sort of around the corner from the living room partly attracted us to the plan we went with..

I have a vivid memory of when I realized that I hated open concept kitchens. At a friends fancy new house for a dinner party, someone was chopping away at some veggies on a glass cutting board in the "kitchen" which was about 12 inches from my head on the couch in the "living room". I got super annoyed, couldn't hear a damn thing anyone was saying, and left the party early with a big headache.
Oct 31, 2002
996 posts
30 upvotes
Waterloo
Most closed concept kitchens don't have a door to prevent smells from cooking escaping into the house anyways so what's the diff? Open concepts make the house look roomier. If you have a island people tend to gather around there to drink during parties and I find it makes the home feel more inviting. With a good range, I find that when I cook my house usually doesn't smell all that much and if it does, I leave the fan on for an hour or so and it removes most of the odour.

As for your kitchen garbage and sinks stinking, I don't know what to say but maybe take out your garbage more often and clean your dishes & sinks more frequently?
Oct 26, 2006
660 posts
3 upvotes
home design has made the kitchen a major focal point in a home for both cooking and entertaining.

given a fixed square footage, builders will opt for open concept kitchens in order to appeal to the masses.

assuming you are looking for new development, try looking for builders who offer 'country-style' floorplans. it might be a good start:

http://www.newhomesreviews.com/builders.htm

as far as smell is concerned, i would invest in a good hood range.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
97 upvotes
What you want is copy the kitchen design from James Earl Jones' West Vancouver waterfront home. The entire kitchen is mounted on a wheeled platform on rails - the doors to the patio can be opened and the entire kitchen rolled outside. :lol:
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2005
14656 posts
1457 upvotes
dazz wrote:
Garbage,food leftovers, some food stuck in the sink,etc,etc,etc.
Ewww... do you live in filth? Disgusting...

At least now you'll be forced to clean your kitchen!
Aug 7, 2001
535 posts
253 upvotes
Chatham
We actually had the builder close the space between the kitchen and the family room
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6157 posts
239 upvotes
Depending on the type of house but I have company, I am usually preparing stuff, cleaning or bringing food out etc it's nice to have everyone int eh same room so I can chat while I do this. I wouldn't want to have to step away and into a separate room for long.

Also I usually like to watch TV while preparing for food and if everything is in one room then it's all good.

And nothing should smell, I have no food in the sink, nothing dirty and my kitchen is usually super clean anyways.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1870 posts
149 upvotes
Ancaster
I really like the open concept kitchen. That's why we picked a design that had one. To each his own I guess.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2008
1177 posts
29 upvotes
Sarnia
It depends on how the open concept is done whether I like it or not. I don't care for open concept kitchens where you can see the kitchen from the front door as soon as you walk in the front door of the house. I like them when they're somewhat but not totally shielded from the living room, not totally open. I kinda like my kitchen,, the house is a 50's modern with cathedral ceilings and the walls separating the kitchen from the living/dining room only go up about 9 ft then it's open space to the ceiling from there. so the kitchen is sort of closed off but you can still hear and yap to people in the livingroom etc. and you don't feel totally cut off when you're in there. plus there's two sliding doors you can open to the dining area and livingroom.
Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding. Proverbs 17;28
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11058 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
When deciding on a new floor plan for my home, I insisted on removing the walls between the kitchen, dining room, and mudroom. This allows a ton a natural light into the space in the winter. I also had an island installed where I can talk to my guests while preparing food. When I have a party, I want to be a part of the party rather than its chief cook and dishwasher.

I don't have a problem with kitchen odours but that may because I love the smell of home cooking.
May 22, 2006
305 posts
14 upvotes
Montreal
i don't have an open concept but would love one. I find it hard not to see what the baby/children are up to when i'm cooking. Baby always crawls towards the kitchen to be with me, and i find that a hazard while i'm cooking. I would prefer the baby stay in the living where he can still see me and not feel the need to be in the kitchen.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
7742 posts
3648 upvotes
dazz wrote:
Why is it stupid? Regardless of the layout, you are still going to smell the food that's cooking. My parents don't have an open concept and the smell still travels, even upstairs.

As far as everything looking clean goes, its all up to the individual. It doesn't take much to clean up after yourself and leave your kitchen the way it should be; clean. If you are one of those that likes to pile up everything in the sink/on the counter top then open concept layout definitely does not work for you.

I recently installed tiles in a house where EVERYTHING was open. As soon as you open the front door, you see the kitchen, dining room, family room. The only thing you can't see are the bed rooms.

I took this pic from the front door .... def not my cup of tea, but it goes to show you that people like this and other type of open concept layouts.

Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10003 posts
924 upvotes
Brampton
mwan wrote:
Dec 10th, 2009 5:14 pm
We actually had the builder close the space between the kitchen and the family room
Hope it does not affect the resale value of your house when it's time to sell.

This is how kitchens are designed these days & looks great IMO. It's especially convenient when you have people over, everyone can talk & see each other.
When we were building our house, we opened up the entire wall between the kitchen/family room & looks so much better now :)
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"