• Nov 26th, 2012 11:09 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 28, 2011
131 posts
31 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA

What's up with Staples.ca?

Lots of threads posted about really good deals on hard drives, cameras, and some other items, where staples would let you purchase the order have the order show in your order history, but no confirmation e-mails were sent (I ordered some 2TB hard drives at $13.99). Apparently someone inside of Staples has said these items are discontinued and no stock is available, and the site was only recently changed (at about 5:30PM) to prevent new orders. Most people who have ordered still haven't received an e-mail saying the order is confirmed or cancelled.

So many great deals were posted online without stock at a price that is absolutely unbeatable to generate traffic, and then at the end of the day all of these items are retracted. How is this an acceptable business practice?
5 replies
Dec 28, 2011
541 posts
190 upvotes
One of the marketing guys needed to hit his traffic goals. Mission accomplished.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2012
3473 posts
609 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Yeah I really don't know, it doesn't seem like it should be something they could legally do. If I had ordered anything I would be pretty po'd to find out they never actually had any stock in the first place.. ANYWHERE (like that $24 camera).

Apparently it's something that's pretty common since it has it's own "phantom stock" term too lol.

Someone else posted something about possibly using it as a way to screw with competitors that price match, seems like a possibility but why they do it could be a combination of things, who knows.
[OP]
Dec 28, 2011
131 posts
31 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Jimboski wrote:
Nov 26th, 2012 8:36 pm
Staples Is always OOS, Why bother.
Out of stock is one thing. Having zero stock and allowing you to order is another. I (and most others) still haven't been told they won't complete the order.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
1257 posts
229 upvotes
Oakville
They do this to get people to complain and bash BB and FS instead for not honouring their PM policy and refusing to match Staples prices for items that would never be fulfilled, or put BB/FS out of business when they actually PM these prices...Art of War...LOL.
× < >