What's the wait time on your EV?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 9:01 am
[OP]
Dec 23, 2015
24 posts
4 upvotes

What's the wait time on your EV?

Personally, I'm interested in buying a Chevy Bolt. After contacting Budd's in Oakville today, the sales told me that all 2017 were sold out and the current wait time for 2018 model is 6-8 months, I'm hesitated to pull the trigger as I'm trying to see if there are other dealers that might have a shorter wait time or if there are other contenders coming out in the coming 6 months.

Curious about the EV model and order wait time that everyone else might have?
32 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4413 posts
2756 upvotes
Montreal
If it's a Tesla Model 3, around 2022
[OP]
Dec 23, 2015
24 posts
4 upvotes
I've seen both threads but didn't find a comprehensive answer as to the wait time of different EV models, hence the OP.

I'm glad to see people are getting more into EV, but how is the supply catching up with the demand across different brands?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9048 posts
588 upvotes
Mississauga
Hyundai Ioniq Electric, wait times typically around 3-4 months
Feb 6, 2017
192 posts
67 upvotes
JPTN wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 6:33 pm
:facepalm:

Another thread instead of searching the two existing ones...

chevy-bolt-383km-charge-30k-plus-2040416/30/#p28415569
everything-about-evs-1515791/206/
Your wait time on the Bolt could also depend on the dealership. My advice would be to go to a Chevy dealer not in the city but in a rural area where it's not as popular. For instance if you visit Dealer A in the City which already had 15 presales of the Bolt and you'd be #16, you may be waiting a long time for them to get to you. Dealer B has a lot less traffic and only have 3 people in the queue, you'd have a better shot at being a part of the next allotment, see what I'm saying? It's also the luck of the draw when the allotments are allocated to the different dealers, like in December they would likely shut down production for a couple of weeks. I'm thinking of putting a deposit down on a Bolt myself at a less busy dealership, was told could be by delivered by 4-5 months, perhaps a bit sooner as well.

With the Nissan Leaf, I was told around February and with the Chevy Volt, many dealers have them in stock right now.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9048 posts
588 upvotes
Mississauga
RedStrikeCa wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 9:45 pm
Yeah but it's a Hyundai...
Is there something you know that others don't?

I could say the same to you, "Yeah but it's a Ford..."
Jul 4, 2017
89 posts
87 upvotes
I think it’s a good idea to have a thread focusing on wait times, what with the impending election in June in Ontario and an uncertain future for the EVIP rebate.

What’s the wait time on a Volt now? I notice GM is offering a ~$1000 rebate.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1479 posts
591 upvotes
Toronto
Breezinga wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 12:05 pm
I think it’s a good idea to have a thread focusing on wait times, what with the impending election in June in Ontario and an uncertain future for the EVIP rebate.

There's no need for this. If only a fraction of 1% of car buyers today are looking at EVs due to the rebate, what do you think will happen when the rebate is yanked if a new government is voted in? No one will be looking at EVs. What do you think the car manufactures will be forced to do? Raise prices? The sooner the rebate are yanked the better it is for everyone looking to get an EV.

Tesla may be the big looser here as they can't really drop their prices. As other ICE car makers can, as their ICE cars sales can subsidies their EV sales. But I guess for the small amount of you looking to get EVs now will create an artificial demand until the orders are filled.
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
[OP]
Dec 23, 2015
24 posts
4 upvotes
ottofly wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 6:43 pm
If it's a Tesla Model 3, around 2022
That's a lot longer than what I expected... "12 - 18 months" is what shown on their website. Tesla is my dream, "end goal"... Model 3 is too much of wait and longer range would certainly shot up the price above 50K.
Feb 6, 2017
192 posts
67 upvotes
Breezinga wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 12:05 pm

What's this ~$1000 rebate that you speak of? I see on their website up to $1500 on selected vehicles when you apply for a GM card. The Volt is not part of that offer.

I think some dealers may have the Volt in stock as of now, I know my local one just got in 2.
[OP]
Dec 23, 2015
24 posts
4 upvotes
radeonboy wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:19 pm
Hyundai Ioniq Electric, wait times typically around 3-4 months
Ioniq Electric is an amazing car! I've test driven a few months back, best MPG and warranty, if it wasn't for the range, I would have bought an Ioniq.
Feb 6, 2017
192 posts
67 upvotes
Absence wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 5:49 pm
That's a lot longer than what I expected... "12 - 18 months" is what shown on their website. Tesla is my dream, "end goal"... Model 3 is too much of wait and longer range would certainly shot up the price above 50K.
I think he was being sarcastic but definitely pushed back well into 2019 which does not bold well for them. By then there will be cars out with similar ranges for much cheaper.
[OP]
Dec 23, 2015
24 posts
4 upvotes
HN12345 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:32 pm
Your wait time on the Bolt could also depend on the dealership. My advice would be to go to a Chevy dealer not in the city but in a rural area where it's not as popular. For instance if you visit Dealer A in the City which already had 15 presales of the Bolt and you'd be #16, you may be waiting a long time for them to get to you. Dealer B has a lot less traffic and only have 3 people in the queue, you'd have a better shot at being a part of the next allotment, see what I'm saying? It's also the luck of the draw when the allotments are allocated to the different dealers, like in December they would likely shut down production for a couple of weeks. I'm thinking of putting a deposit down on a Bolt myself at a less busy dealership, was told could be by delivered by 4-5 months, perhaps a bit sooner as well.

With the Nissan Leaf, I was told around February and with the Chevy Volt, many dealers have them in stock right now.
Talking about Leaf, their second gen looks soooooooo much better than gen 1, but still with 40kwh battery? I'm not waiting until 2019 for a 60kwh Leaf. On the other hand, Volt is an excellent choice and good looking, but I decided to say the f word to gas stations :)