[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2005
3243 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto

What's Your Lens Cleaning Fluid?

Hi all,

In the past, I purchased whatever was in those little bottles from stores but am now tempted to simply use isopropyl alcohol.

So, what do you clean with?
34 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12036 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto
I would not use isopropyl on a lens.

Lens pen.
Deal with it.
Apr 30, 2008
426 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
I use Monster ScreenClean. It is sold in computer stores usually, like Sony, BB and such. It does not have alcohol in it and is safe for lots of surfaces. It is meant to clean displays, but is actually a very versatile little kit. I use it for lenses, laptop screen, even my sunglasses. The cloth that comes with it is awesome, large, convenient, soft, no lint. It lasts quite a bit too. I am still using a bottle I bought 2 years ago and plenty left.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2018 posts
257 upvotes
Canada
Is it ok to just use a micro-fibre cloth (that is free of particles)? I tried a lens pen (a while ago) and it left my lenses with smear marks.
Apr 30, 2008
426 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
zoomzoom wrote:
Sep 11th, 2008 9:08 am
Is it ok to just use a micro-fibre cloth (that is free of particles)? I tried a lens pen (a while ago) and it left my lenses with smear marks.
Micro-fiber cloth is the best thing. If the surface is not very dirty, I often use it without even the cleaning liquid.

The best place to get them by the way, is in Canadian Tire, they sell nice large blue cloths in sets of three, in the car cleaning section. Let's see, one for your car, one for your laptop screen, one for your lenses. ;)
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2217 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
zoomzoom wrote:
ive only ever used microfibre.... i would never use any liquids on my glass but thats just me. never had problems before with cleaning by using just the cloth.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Lens pen. Anything alcohol does not touch my lens.

Except that one time when I was shooting a wedding, and this happened...

[IMG]http://www.mattvphotography.ca/gallery/ ... .sized.jpg[/IMG]

I freaked out after and had my assistant shoot for the next 30 minutes while I cleaned up the camera and the lens. I anticipated the moment, just did not expect the groom to shake that sparkling wine bottom like half a dozen times. I used a damp cloth first to clear the wine stains, then use a lens pen for the front elements.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12036 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto
zoomzoom wrote:
I tried a lens pen (a while ago) and it left my lenses with smear marks.
Either your lens pen is too new (excess compound) or depleted (dirty).
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2217 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
CSAgent wrote:
Sep 11th, 2008 12:29 pm
Lens pen. Anything alcohol does not touch my lens.

Except that one time when I was shooting a wedding, and this happened...

[IMG]http://www.mattvphotography.ca/gallery/ ... .sized.jpg[/IMG]

I freaked out after and had my assistant shoot for the next 30 minutes while I cleaned up the camera and the lens. I anticipated the moment, just did not expect the groom to shake that sparkling wine bottom like half a dozen times. I used a damp cloth first to clear the wine stains, then use a lens pen for the front elements.
its all about weather sealed lenses+bodies :cheesygri
what were you using?
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
4909 posts
208 upvotes
Toronto
I use an LCD cleaning gel (no alcohol); it is anti static, anti run, and leaves no smears.