• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2008 2:44 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 21, 2007
389 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
just use you good old microfiber cloth and if your lens is very dirty got some brush to get that stuff of.

I have not tried lens pen but I hear it may leave some marks on your lens
Dec 31, 1969
euua wrote:
Sep 11th, 2008 9:35 pm
just use you good old microfiber cloth and if your lens is very dirty got some brush to get that stuff of.

I have not tried lens pen but I hear it may leave some marks on your lens

I have been using Lens Pen's since they came out, I haven't experienced any "marks" on my lenses. I wouldn't be using it on $2000+ lenses if it did! :lol:
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1466 upvotes
Pickering
I use a microfibre cloth and the cleaning solution I use on my Maui Jim sunglasses. They have pretty much the same coatings anyway. For maintenace between wet cleanings, I use a lenspen and the microfibre cloth dry.
Dec 31, 1969
AudiDude wrote:
Sep 12th, 2008 1:17 am
I use a microfibre cloth and the cleaning solution I use on my Maui Jim sunglasses. They have pretty much the same coatings anyway. For maintenace between wet cleanings, I use a lenspen and the microfibre cloth dry.
LOL! I wish Maui Jim would make a Circular Polarizer... (I would be lost without my Kahuna's!)
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1466 upvotes
Pickering
selpats wrote:
Sep 12th, 2008 1:24 am
LOL! I wish Maui Jim would make a Circular Polarizer... (I would be lost without my Kahuna's!)
When I see nice clouds and deep blue sky, I comment to my friends and snap away. They tell me the sky is just as plain and boring as ever. I loan them my MJs for a few minutes.They shut up immediately. Since I got a pair, my immediate family have all acquired MJs as well (they requested me to get them christmas/birthday presents in the shape of MJs). I use a set of Maui Jim Mauis every day because I work outside and I have another set of Whalers for weekends or when I am in Arizona or Nevada. Once you get MJs it is hard to use anything else...
Dec 31, 1969
AudiDude wrote:
Sep 12th, 2008 1:45 am
When I see nice clouds and deep blue sky, I comment to my friends and snap away. They tell me the sky is just as plain and boring as ever. I loan them my MJs for a few minutes.They shut up immediately. Since I got a pair, my immediate family have all acquired MJs as well (they requested me to get them christmas/birthday presents in the shape of MJs). I use a set of Maui Jim Mauis every day because I work outside and I have another set of Whalers for weekends or when I am in Arizona or Nevada. Once you get MJs it is hard to use anything else...
I agree, the finest optics/coatings on the market, next to my Carl Zeiss T* lenses of course! :lol: I always have my MJs with me, great for driving, fishing, skiing etc. I think I might get a pair of prescription MJs soon... Next to my Carl Zeiss lenses of course! :lol:

Speaking of which, OP, if you don't feel comfortable using a Lens Pen look for these in your local camera store. (I know London Drugs Camera Dept. sells these locally). I used them a couple of times when I got some motor oil sprayed on a lens.

[IMG]http://www.photodon.com/zeiss250x266.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
3363 posts
23 upvotes
Ordered a lens pen and some microfibre cloths from DX :D
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10472 posts
4134 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Eyies wrote:
Sep 12th, 2008 9:49 am
Ordered a lens pen and some microfibre cloths from DX :D
Could be fake... I would be careful about the lens pen.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
3363 posts
23 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Sep 12th, 2008 2:33 pm
Could be fake... I would be careful about the lens pen.
Fake as in non-original maker of the lens pen sure. Fake as in it'll mess up my lens, not likely.

China knockoffs/products are actually really good. Sure some places cut corners to maximize profits, but often the only corner they cut is in labor wages.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
4909 posts
208 upvotes
Toronto
Eyies wrote:
Sep 12th, 2008 2:43 pm
Fake as in non-original maker of the lens pen sure. Fake as in it'll mess up my lens, not likely.

China knockoffs/products are actually really good. Sure some places cut corners to maximize profits, but often the only corner they cut is in labor wages.
That MF towel it includes is probably of some of the cheapest quality with very little nap to trap anything it gets in contact with; just rubbing it and possible scratching. I wouldn't say only deal extreme; any regular retailer MF is extremely cheap too. I use a korean 70/30 weave buffing towel usually meant for removing wax off a vehicle as my towel.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12036 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto
selpats wrote:
Sep 12th, 2008 1:53 am
Speaking of which, OP, if you don't feel comfortable using a Lens Pen look for these in your local camera store. (I know London Drugs Camera Dept. sells these locally). I used them a couple of times when I got some motor oil sprayed on a lens.

[IMG]http://www.photodon.com/zeiss250x266.jpg[/IMG]
Wal-Mart carries these in their optical departments.
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
1246 posts
9 upvotes
I generally use my breath and a microfibre cleaning cloth. I carry a Lens Pen when I need to. But the best stuff I have used is R.O.R. (Residual Oil Remover) that I bought from B&H.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
3363 posts
23 upvotes
Asad_A203 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2008 4:02 pm
That MF towel it includes is probably of some of the cheapest quality with very little nap to trap anything it gets in contact with; just rubbing it and possible scratching. I wouldn't say only deal extreme; any regular retailer MF is extremely cheap too. I use a korean 70/30 weave buffing towel usually meant for removing wax off a vehicle as my towel.
Well, I'll reserve my judgement till I get it. $2 for 6 cloths is nothing to cry about, and I'm sure my mom would love some table clothes or general use cloths anyways. :)
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
4909 posts
208 upvotes
Toronto
Eyies wrote:
Sep 12th, 2008 9:59 pm
Well, I'll reserve my judgement till I get it. $2 for 6 cloths is nothing to cry about, and I'm sure my mom would love some table clothes or general use cloths anyways. :)
Haha true that; I would do the CD test before you use it on your lens though.