Beauty & Wellness

Whats your morning/night facial routine?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2018 6:47 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 23, 2013
822 posts
215 upvotes
Scarborough

Whats your morning/night facial routine?

See Tittle
8 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11601 posts
1655 upvotes
City of Vancouver
What is urs?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11601 posts
1655 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Ok, well, I don't do anything to my face in the morning. If I am going to be exposed to outside UV, then I will put on sunblock. I use Cetaphil to remove the sunblock. I use a washcloth during my evening bath to rinse my face, and then i use Vaseline petroleum jelly to moisturize. I also randomly use some Aveeno brightner moisturizer to help even skintone. Once in a while, I use Neutrogena pore refining toner (with alpha hydroxy acid?) to remove dead skin.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
5985 posts
1221 upvotes
My skin gets angry if I don't take care of it.

Morning:
cleanse - water-only (if I didn't use a treatment at night); sometimes Marcelle Gentle Cleansing Gel
serum - vitamin C serum
Avene spring water spray Face With Tears Of Joy (probably useless but our water is hard; I've noticed that my skin is happier in places like Vancouver, western Europe, oceanic Asia so I started using this.)
Laneige Water Bank gel (summer), cream (winter)
Neutrogena sunblock

Evening:
cleanse - Marcelle Gentle cleansing gel
Thayers toner with cotton pad
serum - The Ordinary Matrixyl peptide serum
Avene spray Confused Face
wait 10 minutes
Stieva-A 0.025% cream - sometimes I skip this to give my skin a break and use the plain moisturizing cream
Apr 10, 2011
393 posts
176 upvotes
Morning: nothing, except sunblock if I'm going out.

Before bed:

1) remove eye makeup with soap, and cerave foaming cleanser for the rest of my face

2) apply prescription acne cream (clindoxyl) OR Paula's choice 2% BHA liquid OR skip this step all together, depending on how my skin feels

3) either 100% marula oil (drunk elephant currently, but I bought the Abnormal Beauty Company's one which I will try when the DE runs out) or cerave moisturizing cream, depending on how dry my face feels.

I have horrible cystic acne prone skin with a lot of hyper-pigmentation and scarring. I was cursed with awful skin.... (although everyone says it's not that bad...I think they're just trying to make me feel better).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
5985 posts
1221 upvotes
@lemmiwinks Have you tried The Ordinary's 10% azelaic acid gel? I tried it for its purported anti-inflammatory effects but it's actually a treatment that is more designed for acne or rosacea. It is really cheap...I think it was like $7 for a small tube; I believe there are some azelaic acid creams sold on Amazon as well but I don't know their quality or country of origin.

This is an interesting blogger's review of this ingredient (I haven't reviewed the studies but it's an interesting read):
https://simpleskincarescience.com/azelaic-acid/

The Ordinary also has a cheap, light niacinamide/zinc serum ($7ish) which supposedly can help regulate sebum production (i.e. help some people reduce acne/blemishes), and also help to lighten hyperpigmentation.

So I know you weren't asking for suggestions specifically, but I think it would be pretty risk-free to try using the niacinamide/zinc serum twice daily after cleansing, and azelaic acid gel afterwards once daily in the morning. If they don't work you can return them as long as they are at least still 50% full. I don't work for The Abnormal Beauty Company (DECIEM) but I like this line's simplicity and economical pricing.

Then, thirdly...have you tried any (prescription) tretinoin gel or creams? Using a gradual application schedule--only at night--can further help to prevent acne and if you have a private drug plan, it should pick up most of the tab in which case I heard good things about the Retin-A microgel (0.04% to start...my friend uses the 0.1%.) The generic ones (like my Stieva-A) are very cheap regardless, and they can also stimulate collagen synthesis i.e. prevent wrinkle formation which is what we use it for.

I am reading conflicting reports about marula oil being non-comedogenic...or comedogenic! So it may be contributing to your acne.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2009
4716 posts
779 upvotes
Scarborough
Morning - Water
Evening - Cetaphil Face Cleanser, then Bulldog Men's Face Moisturizer
Apr 10, 2011
393 posts
176 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 3:18 am
@lemmiwinks Have you tried The Ordinary's 10% azelaic acid gel? I tried it for its purported anti-inflammatory effects but it's actually a treatment that is more designed for acne or rosacea. It is really cheap...I think it was like $7 for a small tube; I believe there are some azelaic acid creams sold on Amazon as well but I don't know their quality or country of origin.

This is an interesting blogger's review of this ingredient (I haven't reviewed the studies but it's an interesting read):
https://simpleskincarescience.com/azelaic-acid/

The Ordinary also has a cheap, light niacinamide/zinc serum ($7ish) which supposedly can help regulate sebum production (i.e. help some people reduce acne/blemishes), and also help to lighten hyperpigmentation.

So I know you weren't asking for suggestions specifically, but I think it would be pretty risk-free to try using the niacinamide/zinc serum twice daily after cleansing, and azelaic acid gel afterwards once daily in the morning. If they don't work you can return them as long as they are at least still 50% full. I don't work for The Abnormal Beauty Company (DECIEM) but I like this line's simplicity and economical pricing.

Then, thirdly...have you tried any (prescription) tretinoin gel or creams? Using a gradual application schedule--only at night--can further help to prevent acne and if you have a private drug plan, it should pick up most of the tab in which case I heard good things about the Retin-A microgel (0.04% to start...my friend uses the 0.1%.) The generic ones (like my Stieva-A) are very cheap regardless, and they can also stimulate collagen synthesis i.e. prevent wrinkle formation which is what we use it for.

I am reading conflicting reports about marula oil being non-comedogenic...or comedogenic! So it may be contributing to your acne.
I am skeptical to try tretinoin/retinol creams as they are quite harsh, and I am still breastfeeding and planning on getting pregnant again in the next 6 months. I will definitely look into The Ordinary's niacinamide/zinc serum and azelaic acid gel though. I too love the line and its affordable pricing. Thanks for the suggestions!