Fashion & Beauty

What's your opinion on your favourite slim dress shirts?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2013 2:30 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2006
2398 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Ebay is really the only place, or smaller ebay stores. Just make sure you get the Italian ones for the Italian market. The ones for the US market are cut rather wide.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2008
1331 posts
1060 upvotes
Hamilton
Be aware that the new Borrelli shirts you see for $150 new on the internet are not the same as ones from years ago. These shirts are machine sewn in factories.

The company went into receivership a few years ago, it was purchased by investors who kept the name.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2006
2398 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
there is really not that much difference between the pre 2010 and the new stuff. I have bought both and I think it was a lot more of a scare than anything else. Also button holes and sleeves are still done by hand. I don't have a good enough eye to tell if anything else is.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
7556 posts
6834 upvotes
Frank & Oak FTW. $45 shirts and they fit like a glove. Canadian (err, made in china) company, too.

(invites available if you want to bypass the wait period..)
Aug 18, 2009
32 posts
3 upvotes
I got some them through Ebay (4-5 years ago). My tailor was shocked at the delicacy and complexity of the stitches (she was orgasmic actually). So I think they were good then. I haven't gotte any now since my laziness has induced me to wear mostly non-iron shirts :D plus I am traveling a lot and I hate ironing things on the go.

I gotta say.... I love BB extra slim non-iron shirts. If you wait until Boxing week or a BB sale, GET THEM, at 50% off, they are a great deal. My only grip is they have a chest pocket.... but if you wear a suit, it'll be covered.
Nov 9, 2012
1 posts
I just got some shirts from http://www.customizeddressshirts.com and they fit incredibly. It is next to difficult to discover tops that fit effectively around my throat, shoulder area, system, appropriate sleeve duration, etc etc etc. The only disadvantage is that it can take a while to get the tops, especially if you need a check clothing.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2012
1441 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone tried Scott Weiland shirts made by English Laundry? They actually fit really well. The sizing is a bit off, but are very slim fitting IMO. The designs are also quite interesting.

Any thoughts?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9598 posts
2225 upvotes
Somewhere
Question:

If I buy an Off the Rack shirt with a pocket, but I don't want the pocket, can a tailor take off the pocket without damaging the shirt too much?
:confused:
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
1862 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto
iEyeCaptain wrote: Question:

If I buy an Off the Rack shirt with a pocket, but I don't want the pocket, can a tailor take off the pocket without damaging the shirt too much?
I tried undoing the darts on the back of a shirt, took mother f-ing foreverr! maybe because i didnt have the right tools but yeah, it took long. i would assume the samething goes for the pocket. it's do-able you might see some holes but you can stretch the area where the pocket/holes is and it'll go away.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9598 posts
2225 upvotes
Somewhere
n3o321 wrote: I tried undoing the darts on the back of a shirt, took mother f-ing foreverr! maybe because i didnt have the right tools but yeah, it took long. i would assume the samething goes for the pocket. it's do-able you might see some holes but you can stretch the area where the pocket/holes is and it'll go away.
I'm willing to pay to have it done.

I just don't want my shirt full of holes where the pocket used to be!
:confused:
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2004
1149 posts
57 upvotes
I have a few of the pocketless Brooks Brothers slim fit shirts but unfortunately they all require ironing.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
1056 posts
111 upvotes
Express for the price are good shirts.

BR depending on line are good bit hit and miss when it comes to slim fit.

I have a bunch of Hugo boss and
Wow compared to express, BR,
Mexico,
Etc
Leaves them in the dust. Fabric and quality is remarkable.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2010
1033 posts
391 upvotes
+1 on express cut/fit. too bad atleast the ones Ive bought which are supposed to be $60-70 reg price, aren't non-iron. For Banana, I have all 3 colors of their royal oxford french cut line and I am very pleased with the quality. Fit of their slims could be just a bit slimmer optimally.

how much are BB's when they go on 50% sale?
Oct 29, 2012
5 posts
TORONTO
I wear primarily Banana Republic slim fit large shirts.
I have a friend who works at BR and she told me to get them at the BR Outlet stores.
She said they are the exact same quality as the regular stores, however they don't have the frills (i.e. fancier buttons, nicer looking label, patterned lining inside the shirt). The rest of the shirt is essentially the same, but at a reduced price. I've bought many from there since.
As for quality, I've never really had a problem with BR. I don't think they are ever worth the regular price ($90-110) but I'll gladly pay discounted pricing for them.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2005
1919 posts
562 upvotes
Calgary
I find RW&Co slim fit in smalls to be pretty good as far as my fit goes.

Banana Republic slim fits aren't slim at all. These things hang off of me.
Zara's quality is crap.
Apr 29, 2007
103 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
How much do you guys pay usually for alterations?

I just buy CK/Jones New York/Kenneth Cole on sale and have my tailor take them in about 3" on each side. He charges $10 a shirt.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
4413 posts
1557 upvotes
Brooks Brothers Black Fleece or Golden Fleece for me
(cheap plug: these can be acquired for a rather inexpensive price if you know where to look)

I do have some older CK shirts that I love

I bought a clearance shirt from GotStyle that I enjoyed the fit of (although I wouldn't pay their normal prices because there is better out there)

Maybe it's just me, but I've given up trying to find a shirt that fits how I want it directly off the rack. When I was younger I was all about Mexx, H&M, BR because of the fact that they were decent shirts that were already slim, but i was never fully satisfied with the fit.
Now that I'm a little older, I'd rather pay the $20 to get it tailored and enjoy a better quality shirt that will usually last longer.
Ebay - 340 - 0 - 0 | Heatware - 56 - 00 - 0
BST Feedback - 82 - 0 - 0 | Grailed - 126 - 0 - 0
Poshmark and Styleforum Feedback as well
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6565 posts
2095 upvotes
FYI, BB is having 50% off on selected shirts... I know for a fact that the store on Bloor has a lot of extra-slim fit non-iron dress shirts. You can just buy 1 shirt as well and don't have buy the bundle to get the discount.