Careers

What's your scale? Anonymous stats!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2010 7:03 am
Tags:
Dec 13, 2009
42 posts
Waterloo
licious wrote: I was just waiting for someone to say something like that. Pharmacy definitely isn't for everyone but I actually really enjoy what I do. I like interacting with patients and I do find my job interesting.

Besides, how is that any different from spending most of your life in a cubicle (or wherever)?

where do you have to work (location and company) to get $110K pretax. We (my husband and I) have just moved back to Canada and he is going to be taking the exam in May. I heard that pharmacists make more money outside of GTA. Right now we are in the Kitchener/Waterloo area (good place for me to find a job).
Nov 29, 2007
839 posts
81 upvotes
Victoria BC
ppcuser wrote: 1. Degree(s)/Diploma(s) (2 yrs, 3 yrs, 4 yrs, more?)
2. Current line of work (i.e. type of job)
3. 1st job/line of work + annual pay (pre-tax)
4. 2nd job/line of work + annual pay (pre-tax) + how many yrs after 1st job you got it.
5. 3rd, 4th, 5th jobs etc... + annual pay + how many yrs after previous job you got it.

1. Comp Sci/Business (4th year, never actually finished :o )
2. IT
3. During school: various call center/retail/office jobs
4. Computer retail manager ~30k
5. IT Help Desk: ~40k - 1 year
6. IT Analyst: ~40k (TA at the same wage) - 1 year
7. System Admin: ~70k - 1 year
Sep 26, 2010
108 posts
1 upvote
BURNABY
hi-everyone wrote: I hope that I am not going way outside the bounderies here, but may I ask which company you are working at?

Or if you don't feel comfortable answering that, do you mind telling me which companies are most likely to offer better salaries?
According to my pharmacy friend in my class (another professional program), Save On treats their employees the best and the pay is good as well. There's quite a few perks like company dinners, hockey games, vacations. I think in general, the more rural you go, the higher the salary. Alberta also pays really well. One of the pharm grads relocated to a small town in northern alberta and makes around 75$/h. Also, weekends are paid at 90$/h and overtime is 1.5x pay. Stat holidays are 2x pay. Not bad for a low stress job requiring 5 years of post secondary schooling.
Jan 21, 2007
296 posts
10 upvotes
Graduated with B.A. Honors in Communications with minor Economics while working PT as a student for the federal government.

Hired after graduation to ~50k. 4 years later at ~65k. Policy analysis work throughout work as a student and now indeterminate employee.
Dec 18, 2008
665 posts
4 upvotes
waterloo
After looking through many pages...many of you here got a raise of 10-15k after 2-4 years. (ie. from 40k to suddenly 60k or 50k to 75k or 62k to 76k). I am more curious if you guys/gals stayed within the organization or found a job at another organization.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
8455 posts
2000 upvotes
Smog wrote: After looking through many pages...many of you here got a raise of 10-15k after 2-4 years. (ie. from 40k to suddenly 60k or 50k to 75k or 62k to 76k). I am more curious if you guys/gals stayed within the organization or found a job at another organization.

90%+ of people more than likely jumped. no company will give you a 10k to 15k raise without a very major bump in responsibility (aka going from a senior to a management position)
Sep 26, 2007
846 posts
20 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote: 90%+ of people more than likely jumped. no company will give you a 10k to 15k raise without a very major bump in responsibility (aka going from a senior to a management position)

That's correct. I got an 18k increase by switching jobs. At my first employer for my first two years there I only got 6k, 3k/year (not including bonuses).
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2007
1143 posts
86 upvotes
1. B. Eng.
2. Engineering Services
3. Control Systems Designer, 50k base
4. Control Systems Designer Designer, 58k base, 18 months after 1st job. (different company)
5. Control Systems Designer, 68k base, ~2 years after 2nd job. (same company, different job)
6. Safety Analyst, 80k base, ~2 years after 3rd job (same company, different job)

I suck.
Nov 29, 2007
839 posts
81 upvotes
Victoria BC
Smog wrote: After looking through many pages...many of you here got a raise of 10-15k after 2-4 years. (ie. from 40k to suddenly 60k or 50k to 75k or 62k to 76k). I am more curious if you guys/gals stayed within the organization or found a job at another organization.

I applied for my current position from the organization's internal job postings which helped as the area already knew me and the job I was coming from.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2002
1619 posts
227 upvotes
Mississauga
Immortal wrote: Gee, I'm starting to feel a bit underpaid....

1. B.Comm (4 yr), MSc, Certificate and Diploma (3 in 1 year)
2. Analyst
3. Process Analyst, 45k
4. N/A
5. N/A

Just finished my first year... well, 9 months in now. We just started the annual review. I hope there's a pay raise coming. Now I really think I'm being underpaid. I do like what I'm doing and the people I work with but I don't feel so good now.

That salary is just the base salary as potential bonuses is not included. It could be nothing, 5K or more.
I guess I'll update too. Not much of a raise and the bonus was a yawn that is not worth mentioning. So, switched companies and now we're at #4

4. Business Analyst, 60k (1 yr , 10 month after job #3)
I've been in this job for about 10 months now. Looking to stay around for another year before i look again. I hope I have something to update then as well. ;)
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2009
2085 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
B0000rt wrote: Who says to live in the heart of downtown?

The same can easily be said about NYC, 100k goes nowhere when you live in Downtown Manhattan, but there are many places to live around the metro NYC area, LI, Westchester County and NJ.
Who says it just DT SF? Unlike NYC, the whole area is full of rich people, many of whom are MUCH MUCH richer than the ppl in NYC.

1. B.Sc. / Dip in Accounting
2. Accounting
3. CA Student, low 40s for 1 year
4. Accountant, high 40s
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1286 posts
355 upvotes
1. B. Comm Economics
2. Category Analyst mid 40's
3. Category Manager mid 70's
4. looking to move up to director level now... 120-140k?