• Oct 22nd, 2009 1:44 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Sep 7, 2006
13952 posts
87 upvotes
Kuala Lumpur, MY
I like it when it's done on purpose to be dramatic, photo art in a sense, kind of like cell shading. It just caters to different tastes, but some HDRs do turn out nasty.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3684 posts
201 upvotes
Mississauga
mk5gti wrote:
Oct 19th, 2009 11:31 am
i never did anything from HDR yet, but i have a few questions:

1: is 3 pictures in different exposure require? or i can do that in 1 pic?

2: if 3 is require, how do i determine what exposure to use? any reference? should i just use Tv mode?

3: I understand HDR is a add on progrm to the photoshop, does it work in photoshop portable version too? (that i can install on a usb sticks)
1) You CAN do it with one picture with limited success, but that kind of defeats the purpose of HDR. One picture can't contain the entire dynamic range, so you take multiple shots exposing different sections of the range then combine them.

2) Whatever you do, you need to ensure the aperture value is the same for all your pictures. I usually have it on Av mode and use auto-bracket exposure with -2/0/+2 EV.

3) Photoshop actually has a built-in HDR tool:
http://backingwinds.blogspot.com/2006/1 ... mages.html

However, if you're the kind of person who likes halos galore, the easiest way to achieve that is to use a stand alone program called Photomatix.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7267 posts
1006 upvotes
Toronto
What is exciting about HDR is that it is an old difficult photography technique made easy by digital photography and software. The desirability of a high dynamic range However, like a lot of stuff made easy, the results are often mediocre unless the photographer has a clear idea of what they are trying to achieve. Many examples of HDR could be achieved much more simply with brightness/contrast adjustments , IMHO.

As Michael Reichmann writes on his www.luminous-landscape.com site:
With properly shot and processed files it (HDR) allows photographers to easily create images that were previously impossible, or at least very difficult to accomplish. But, good as it is, like a gun or nuclear power, it can be a force for evil as well as good.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
4924 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
Well I think more people like it for the ability to process tones than the actual ability to bring out the full range of the picture. You can do a very unoticable HDR merge in Photoshop which does just that or go crazy in photomatrix to create an effect (which you could do with further PP in Photoshop).