Automotive

When is the best time to buy new car... end Quarter 28,29 or 30th or end year?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 2nd, 2012 12:25 am
[OP]
Oct 31, 2009
85 posts
59 upvotes

When is the best time to buy new car... end Quarter 28,29 or 30th or end year?

When is the best time to buy a new car.

As most most dealer are under end quarter pressure.

Any thoughts...ideas?
12 replies
Nov 12, 2011
267 posts
17 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Right now.

By the way, the "buy used" mentality is no longer relevant. Buy a car that's 2 or 3 years old and save a few grand. It's just not worth it. You're better of getting it new, have peace of mind, warranty, no previous problems, etc. You don't know how the previous owner drove the car or what they did to it. Save yourself the frustration and headaches of buying a used car and just finance a new one. Buying a car is never a frugal or smart purchase in the first place. So, the people kidding themselves thinking they're smart for buying used, the cost to own that car will always be more than what you paid to purchase it.

When I was looking at buying a new Lancer, I first checked Autotrader for used cars. The MSRP on Mitsubishi's website for a new Lancer was only 2-3 grand more than some of the used listings I was seeing for 2010 or 2009 Lancers. So you know what I did? I went to Mitsubishi a few weeks ago and haggled for 3 hours and got the car new (2012) and cheaper than the used listings on Autotrader.

Oh, and when you buy new from a dealership, just say no to all the extended warranties, rust-proofing and all the other extra crap they try to sell to milk more money from you. Question all the fees in the breakdown when they show you how much you pay for freight and a bunch of other stuff. A lot of that stuff is not mandatory like wheel locks and security engravings.
[OP]
Oct 31, 2009
85 posts
59 upvotes
Thanks... you mean today as this is Quarter end?

I agree with coopercold as well but agree more with gibguitar that we don't know how one used/abused the car/.///
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
3960 posts
577 upvotes
Markham
gibguitar wrote:
Sep 29th, 2012 12:36 pm
Right now.

By the way, the "buy used" mentality is no longer relevant. Buy a car that's 2 or 3 years old and save a few grand. It's just not worth it. You're better of getting it new, have peace of mind, warranty, no previous problems, etc. You don't know how the previous owner drove the car or what they did to it. Save yourself the frustration and headaches of buying a used car and just finance a new one. Buying a car is never a frugal or smart purchase in the first place. So, the people kidding themselves thinking they're smart for buying used, the cost to own that car will always be more than what you paid to purchase it.

When I was looking at buying a new Lancer, I first checked Autotrader for used cars. The MSRP on Mitsubishi's website for a new Lancer was only 2-3 grand more than some of the used listings I was seeing for 2010 or 2009 Lancers. So you know what I did? I went to Mitsubishi a few weeks ago and haggled for 3 hours and got the car new (2012) and cheaper than the used listings on Autotrader.

Oh, and when you buy new from a dealership, just say no to all the extended warranties, rust-proofing and all the other extra crap they try to sell to milk more money from you. Question all the fees in the breakdown when they show you how much you pay for freight and a bunch of other stuff. A lot of that stuff is not mandatory like wheel locks and security engravings.[/QUAOTE]

Actually IMO, buying used is the smarter choice today more so than before as vehicle quality is so much better. Cars with proper maintenance can last a long time with not much in the way of repairs other than what you expect. Yes you don't know history of the used vehicle but if you take the car to your mechanic and have them check it out, you can get a reasonable feel for condition and how the car was driven. Added to that, if you get a vehicle off lease, you know maintenance has been done and you can ask for vehicle service records (if from the same dealer which quite often it is).

With the exception being high resale type cars with little age, there's a lot of depreciation once the car becomes used. If you work as hard looking for used as you do for new and you're patient, you should find a 4 yr old car for roughly half what it is new. Example - I bought a four year old Toyota Matrix (off-lease) for half what it was new...saved roughly $12k => that's a lot of repairs over the ten years I'm likely to keep that car. Barring something crazy like my motor dying or tranny blows, I'm 100% certain I'm going to be ahead a lot of $$ at the end. I also bought a two year old Dodge Grand Caravan before that... Saved 40% vs new. Still driving the Van today..it's now 14 yrs old.

For a 2 yr old car, I figure you should save roughly 25-30% more or less. 3 yr old, maybe 30-40% vs what you pay for new. 4 yr old you save 40-50%.

When you said that you bought a new 2012 for less than used...it's impossible. Dealers get the used cars back on their lot (off lease, trade ins etc) and they have to price them to resell reasonably or no one would ever buy them...it's all supply and demand at the end of the day. People aren't stupid and that asking price of only $2k less than new when it's two years old will never fly. Dealers can ask for $2k less than new, people would never pay it...don't forget you also have to pay freight, air tax, PDI etc. when you buy new as well.

Enjoy your NEW Lancer.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1674 posts
68 upvotes
Southern ontario
if you buy a small car and probably japanese, you are better of buying new if the used car is between 1-2 years old. the cost of the depreciation vs warranty and wear and tear is not worth it in my opinion. if the car is worth $40k plus new, then it is very much worth while looking at a used car since the depreciation on them is typically higher. Why do you think cars like LS400, S class, 7 series etc take a huge hit in depreciation after 3 years?

If you compare that to a honda fit, civic, corolla etc. If i was in a market for a small car, i would go the new route.
gr8dlr wrote:
Sep 30th, 2012 7:29 pm
gibguitar wrote:
Right now.

Oh, and when you buy new from a dealership, just say no to all the extended warranties, rust-proofing and all the other extra crap they try to sell to milk more money from you. Question all the fees in the breakdown when they show you how much you pay for freight and a bunch of other stuff. A lot of that stuff is not mandatory like wheel locks and security engravings.[/QUAOTE]

Actually IMO, buying used is the smarter choice today more so than before as vehicle quality is so much better. Cars with proper maintenance can last a long time with not much in the way of repairs other than what you expect. Yes you don't know history of the used vehicle but if you take the car to your mechanic and have them check it out, you can get a reasonable feel for condition and how the car was driven. Added to that, if you get a vehicle off lease, you know maintenance has been done and you can ask for vehicle service records (if from the same dealer which quite often it is).

With the exception being high resale type cars with little age, there's a lot of depreciation once the car becomes used. If you work as hard looking for used as you do for new and you're patient, you should find a 4 yr old car for roughly half what it is new. Example - I bought a four year old Toyota Matrix (off-lease) for half what it was new...saved roughly $12k => that's a lot of repairs over the ten years I'm likely to keep that car. Barring something crazy like my motor dying or tranny blows, I'm 100% certain I'm going to be ahead a lot of $$ at the end. I also bought a two year old Dodge Grand Caravan before that... Saved 40% vs new. Still driving the Van today..it's now 14 yrs old.

For a 2 yr old car, I figure you should save roughly 25-30% more or less. 3 yr old, maybe 30-40% vs what you pay for new. 4 yr old you save 40-50%.

When you said that you bought a new 2012 for less than used...it's impossible. Dealers get the used cars back on their lot (off lease, trade ins etc) and they have to price them to resell reasonably or no one would ever buy them...it's all supply and demand at the end of the day. People aren't stupid and that asking price of only $2k less than new when it's two years old will never fly. Dealers can ask for $2k less than new, people would never pay it...don't forget you also have to pay freight, air tax, PDI etc. when you buy new as well.

Enjoy your NEW Lancer.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1674 posts
68 upvotes
Southern ontario
if you buy a small car and probably japanese, you are better of buying new if the used car is between 1-2 years old. the cost of the depreciation vs warranty and wear and tear is not worth it in my opinion. if the car is worth $40k plus new, then it is very much worth while looking at a used car since the depreciation on them is typically higher. Why do you think cars like LS400, S class, 7 series etc take a huge hit in depreciation after 3 years?

If you compare that to a honda fit, civic, corolla etc. If i was in a market for a small car, i would go the new route.
gr8dlr wrote:
Sep 30th, 2012 7:29 pm
gibguitar wrote:
Right now.

Enjoy your NEW Lancer.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2008
1383 posts
53 upvotes
I think that quarter end/month end stuff is coming to an end with people knowing what invoice price and all incentives are. Just find out what the cost of car is and
Find a rep that deals, should be easy to find online.
Sep 30, 2001
25772 posts
4967 upvotes
Swarez99 wrote:
Oct 1st, 2012 12:21 pm
I think that quarter end/month end stuff is coming to an end with people knowing what invoice price and all incentives are. Just find out what the cost of car is and
Find a rep that deals, should be easy to find online.
I agree. I think dealers are under pressure year 'round to make sales targets. The one time it is advantageous to wait is during model clear out events, more so if the it's an unpopular make. right now there are incentives on the previous gen Altimas and Accords now that the models have been released, for example. A good time for a budget conscious consumer to pick those up.
Oct 20, 2009
170 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know anything about BMWs if its a good time to buy?
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
27000 posts
4218 upvotes
Buy after the 2013s arrive in the showroom. Then buy a 2012.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2009
2422 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
Best time to buy is during a recession.
[OP]
Oct 31, 2009
85 posts
59 upvotes
One of my friend got $5000 on Honda CRV discount 3 days before year end...
Jan 16, 2011
262 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
gibguitar wrote:
Right now.

Oh, and when you buy new from a dealership, just say no to all the extended warranties, rust-proofing and all the other extra crap they try to sell to milk more money from you. Question all the fees in the breakdown when they show you how much you pay for freight and a bunch of other stuff. A lot of that stuff is not mandatory like wheel locks and security engravings.
Which Dealer did you buy from?

I am in the Market for Lancer this week....
× < >