Automotive

When Is Car Insurance Needed For Learner?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2015 1:27 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
675 posts
311 upvotes

When Is Car Insurance Needed For Learner?

New to the automotive thread. I searched but found no answer to my question.

My son has passed the written test. When is it necessary to inform the insurance company that he is using the family car for practice?

Thanks
8 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
26429 posts
12561 upvotes
Ottawa
All drivers holding a drivers license and living in the same address should be listed on the policy.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21262 posts
2086 upvotes
profile wrote:
Oct 18th, 2015 3:57 am
New to the automotive thread. I searched but found no answer to my question.

My son has passed the written test. When is it necessary to inform the insurance company that he is using the family car for practice?

Thanks
Assuming it's Ontario, G2 drivers must be listed. G1 depends on the insurance Co, and are not rated.
Aug 15, 2014
485 posts
132 upvotes
Newmarket
Occasional driver on the policy
Jun 22, 2014
385 posts
82 upvotes
Markham, ON
Kasakato wrote:
Oct 18th, 2015 7:23 am
Assuming it's Ontario, G2 drivers must be listed. G1 depends on the insurance Co, and are not rated.
This is the correct answer assuming you are in Ontario. If your insurer for what ever reason asks, you should tell them, but you won't be rated for a G1 driver.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
675 posts
311 upvotes
Thank you for your answer. I am in Ontario.

Will the cost of insurance be significant? He is over 25 but still a new driver. Does he need to be on the policy if he does not live at the family address which he does at the present time?

Which makes me wonder what if I loan my car to a friend who is in town for the week and needs transportation or a neighbour for the day, do I need to inform the insurance company?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
26429 posts
12561 upvotes
Ottawa
profile wrote:
Oct 18th, 2015 11:14 am

Will the cost of insurance be significant? He is over 25 but still a new driver. Does he need to be on the policy if he does not live at the family address which he does at the present time?

Which makes me wonder what if I loan my car to a friend who is in town for the week and needs transportation or a neighbour for the day, do I need to inform the insurance company?
As stated above, he will not be rated, because he can't drive without a full licensed driver of 5yrs or more sitting beside him.
As for loaning your car to a friend or neighbour, all accidents will be under your policy.
Jun 12, 2008
657 posts
104 upvotes
Ripley
Just did this. G1 we let the insurance company know but our cost didn't increase. G2 they needed his license number, expiry and a copy of his drivers Ed certificate.

If he does not live with you he will have to get his own insurance once he gets his G2. It will be expensive!
Oct 18, 2015
92 posts
30 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
profile wrote:
Oct 18th, 2015 11:14 am

I am a RIBO licensed Insurance Broker, you only need to inform your insurance company of G2 licensed drivers, not G1. The cost will depend on a number of factors, how many drivers are in the household, how many vehicles are in the household, any tickets or accidents, etc... Also, and many people forget this, even if someone doesn't live at the same address but has regular use of the vehicle, they need to be listed on the policy as well.

Lending your vehicle on a "one-off basis" is different, they don't need to be listed. But, keep in mind, that insurance follows the vehicle, not the driver, so if something happens to the car while you lent it, its your insurance that is affected.

Here's a link to an article I did on that very subject:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/would-yo ... le-publish