Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
1536 posts
1060 upvotes
SAINT JOHN

When do TTC tokens expire?

I have some TTC tokens I've not used in some time that I bought about 2 months ago and recently found some extra TTC tokens. I would like to know if/when the tokens will expire? I heave heard that the Presto Card will be replacing the tokens and personally I prefer the tokens over the Presto Card.
...Location: GTA North

If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.

GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread

[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100). Please let me know if you have one for sale. Willing to part trade stuff or labour.
11 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
30621 posts
7550 upvotes
GTHA
thedealhunter2000 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 3:36 am
I have some TTC tokens I've not used in some time that I bought about 2 months ago and recently found some extra TTC tokens. I would like to know if/when the tokens will expire? I heave heard that the Presto Card will be replacing the tokens and personally I prefer the tokens over the Presto Card.
There is "no definitive date"
TTC will stop selling tokens before they stop accepting them.
You will not be able to get a refund or exchange. It is recommended that you use your tokens.

from https://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/PRESTO/FAQ.jsp

When will the TTC stop selling and accepting tickets, tokens and TTC passes?
Tickets, tokens and TTC passes will be available for sale and use into 2018. We will stop selling these before we stop accepting them. No definitive date has been selected for when tickets and TTC passes will no longer be available. We will provide advance notice before this happens.

I have a lot of tokens. Can get a refund or exchange them?
You will not be able to get a refund or exchange. It is recommended that you use your tokens.
Feb 11, 2009
943 posts
200 upvotes
It's time to get a Presto card.

Use up the last of your tokens. Keep a few as souvenirs.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3654 posts
4854 upvotes
Ontario
4seasonscentre wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 10:56 pm

Actually, due to that highly circulated incident where a kid's Presto Card was 0'd by some random Metrolinx employee (who also did the same to thousands of cards) and he was left on his own at a GO bus stop, Metrolinx reminded people that another fare medium is needed in cases where the Presto card is not working or showing a balance. I'd save the tokens and randomly give some out to folks commuting but keep two or three in case those wonderful readers freeze/malfunction or have one of many weekend server down events.
Happy New Year 2018-where's my win?
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
30621 posts
7550 upvotes
GTHA
Ciel wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 4:28 pm
Actually, due to that highly circulated incident where a kid's Presto Card was 0'd by some random Metrolinx employee (who also did the same to thousands of cards) and he was left on his own at a GO bus stop, Metrolinx reminded people that another fare medium is needed in cases where the Presto card is not working or showing a balance. I'd save the tokens and randomly give some out to folks commuting but keep two or three in case those wonderful readers freeze/malfunction or have one of many weekend server down events.
The bus driver should have let this child onboard. GO staff are specifically trained to accommodate children, young adults and riders with special needs, and are instructed to make exceptions if they don’t have the proper fare.

Anne Marie Aikins, a spokesperson for Metrolinx, conceded that no matter the reason the card was declined, the bus driver should have let Jude board.

“Given the boy’s age, he should not have been denied entry to that bus,” she said.

“Even if you’re not 100 per cent sure why their card isn’t working, you can deal with that after the fact. Let them on the bus … The driver shouldn’t have done what they did”

Aikins said GO staff are specifically trained to accommodate children, young adults and riders with special needs, and are instructed to make exceptions if they don’t have the proper fare.

The bus driver involved has been interviewed by supervisors, but Aikins said that for privacy reasons she couldn’t disclose whether the employee was facing disciplinary action.

The local Metrolinx supervisor reached out to Richardson to apologize, and on Thursday an employee met Jude on his way to dance class and gave him a new Presto card loaded with $120.

from https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/transp ... enied.html
Feb 11, 2009
943 posts
200 upvotes
I actually miss the days when the Presto machines on buses were having problems. I got a handful of free rides. Lately at least one machine has been working :-(

Also, the TTC transfer policy is that you can make one continuous journey, no stop overs, and no turn backs. But this policy requires human judgement so the Presto algorithm allows for many "transfers" which really are new rides.

Plus you get 50% off when connecting to GO Transit.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
30621 posts
7550 upvotes
GTHA
thedealhunter2000 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 3:36 am
I heave heard that the Presto Card will be replacing the tokens and personally I prefer the tokens over the Presto Card.
Irene Mathias is upset that she can't redeem her TTC tokens for cash or have them credited to her Presto card. Cristina Howorun breaks down the rules.

Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
1173 posts
277 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
WHAT THE F---
This is outright theft.

This is the first I've heard of this and I'm absolutely livid.

I have two full rolls of tokens that I bought when I took the TTC regularly (actually bought more than two rolls at the time.. but I still have these left over).
I don't take the TTC anymore.
In all THY SONS command.

Cell phones: Koodo, Fido.
Credit Cards: Amex SPG
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
1173 posts
277 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
tk1000 wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 10:52 pm
Irene Mathias is upset that she can't redeem her TTC tokens for cash or have them credited to her Presto card. Cristina Howorun breaks down the rules.

The excuse here is absolute HORSE S---
A presto refund could be used on other transit systems?! GASP!!

I THOUGHT THAT WAS THE WHOLE F---ING POINT OF PRESTO!!
In all THY SONS command.

Cell phones: Koodo, Fido.
Credit Cards: Amex SPG
Nov 29, 2017
806 posts
537 upvotes
4seasonscentre wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 10:56 pm

Bst trade