When does CRA update TFSA room?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2018 6:48 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2009
1783 posts
779 upvotes

When does CRA update TFSA room?

It's March 14 already and CRA haven't still updated the TFSA contribution room on my account. It seems very late already. Any idea when this might happen? By now, I am sure all financial institutions would have reported their numbers.
Why do you want to climb Mt. Everest, Sir? - Because it is there.

— George Leigh Mallory
5 replies
Feb 1, 2010
872 posts
173 upvotes
It takes a long time in my experience. You absolutely must track your own contributions and withdrawals on a basic spreadsheet IMO.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
2115 posts
1929 upvotes
Ontario
ruchir wrote: It's March 14 already and CRA haven't still updated the TFSA contribution room on my account. It seems very late already. Any idea when this might happen? By now, I am sure all financial institutions would have reported their numbers.
My experience is that you have to keep your own records as CRA does not keep on top of the TFSA contributions or withdrawals.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2009
1783 posts
779 upvotes
profile wrote: My experience is that you have to keep your own records as CRA does not keep on top of the TFSA contributions or withdrawals.
I do track on my own but I transferred some position to TFSA during the year. I just want to make sure the 'in-kind' contribution was properly valued at market close on the day of transfer.
Why do you want to climb Mt. Everest, Sir? - Because it is there.

— George Leigh Mallory
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
9356 posts
2211 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
This depends on when the banks send the info to the CRA. I am not sure what the deadline is for banks to report, but I have seen it go until the end of April before some things show up. So best to keep track yourself.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
Mine is already there for 2017.