None
[OP]
Banned
Apr 13, 2009
3874 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto

When is an insult an insult?

So, I just got reprimanded for calling people "noobs" in this forum. I use this word as a term of endearment to all my fellow RFD'ers.

So my question to all you...umm...people is: Would you be offended if someone called you an insult, but is meant in the most friendly way.

Discuss.
Share:
6 replies
Aug 21, 2009
64 posts
Richmond Hill
diggler649 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2012 5:52 pm
So, I just got reprimanded for calling people "noobs" in this forum. I use this word as a term of endearment to all my fellow RFD'ers.

So my question to all you...umm...people is: Would you be offended if someone called you an insult, but is meant in the most friendly way.

Discuss.
different people have different interpretation on which kinds of words are insulting or not, some people are very sensitive, anything can make them feel insulted, just watch their reactions and eye color you will know
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2968 posts
78 upvotes
personally I take people saying "discuss" as insulting. Are we under your command?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6364 posts
193 upvotes
It's all in how it's said, and why it's being said and in some cases, who is saying it.

My husband is Italian and often his buds will jokingly call him a W*P. He couldn't care less and he goes along with it and does it himself. No harm done. When he was a kid, he was called that by kids who were just being little creeps and so he got into a lot of fights when he first came to Canada. It eventually ended.

A few years back, while playing a game of squash, a guy he was playing (not a buddy, just some random guy) was peeved because my husband was beating him and he yelled at him and called him a W*P. THAT was an insult, as opposed to the other examples.

Words can change their meaning depending on how they are said, and how they are intended.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2009
5391 posts
103 upvotes
diggler649 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2012 5:52 pm
So, I just got reprimanded for calling people "noobs" in this forum.
LAWL. What a n00b.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
973 upvotes
Niagara Falls
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/home-gar ... -2011.html

Escalation Process

- If you would like to clarify, get more information or challenge a post removal/edit or thread removal or closure, please PM the mod that did the action. (If you do not want to communicate with them, then you can PM oranr)
- If you do not agree with the mods explanation, then you can PM oranr
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!