Automotive

When making a right turn, do you wait for all pedestrians to cross the road?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2018 10:23 pm
[OP]
Aug 24, 2014
242 posts
14 upvotes
North York

When making a right turn, do you wait for all pedestrians to cross the road?

It's a green right and you're trying to make a right turn.

There are no pedestrians blocking your way, but there are pedestrians crossing the road from the other side.

They haven't yet reached the half line.

Should you wait for all of them to cross the road? Or can you make a right turn in this case?
Images
  • 1.jpg
34 replies
Apr 7, 2003
117 posts
33 upvotes
Newmarket
I believe the Law now states that there must be NO pedestrians in the intersection for you to make a turn. Is this realistic or even possible in most cases, no of course not, but the law is written by the government and they are the masters of idiocy.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2591 posts
1918 upvotes
Yes, you should wait. All pedestrians are to be out of the intersection before you proceed, not simply out of your lane.
Oct 18, 2005
397 posts
126 upvotes
skeet50 wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 7:10 am
Yes, you should wait. All pedestrians are to be out of the intersection before you proceed, not simply out of your lane.
Now, do you treat that law the same way on a bigger intersection with island and 3 lanes each way. Personally I would not wait if I see a person just step on the road on the opposite side and it is clear on my side. I'll take my chances just like going 20 over speed limit on the highway.
Feb 2, 2018
349 posts
297 upvotes
Montreal
Depends where and how big the intersection. In th suburbs where I live, sure I'll wait. Downtown, there are small, busy intersections where each green may only allow 2-3 cars to turn right because of the constant stream of pedestrians (who often cross when they're not supposed to). I'm not waiting when I get a chance there.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4883 posts
4035 upvotes
merauder69 wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 6:53 am
I believe the Law now states that there must be NO pedestrians in the intersection for you to make a turn. Is this realistic or even possible in most cases, no of course not, but the law is written by the government and they are the masters of idiocy.
I'm pretty sure the new bylaws you're talking about only apply to pedestrian crossways - the ones with flashing lights and signs.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1740 posts
1029 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
+++++ 1 - That is correct for Ontario, however the correct name is Pedestrian Crossover and the law also applies when there is a school crossing guard.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11410 posts
1643 upvotes
Mississauga
skeet50 wrote:
So if a pedestrian is crossing the street and walking away from your car with no one else approaching, you wait until they have cleared the entire intersection? Expect to get honked at then.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4049 posts
4348 upvotes
Toronto, ON
merauder69 wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 6:53 am
Government are masters but so are you for misinterpreting the law... time to read up the law again.
skeet50 wrote:
Not for intersection crossings unless there is a flag waving pylon lady there.
Jun 20, 2015
505 posts
124 upvotes
Place
I wait. For safety reasons.
Good luck!
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11720 posts
2703 upvotes
Montréal
Ya, I was always taught in lighted intersections as long as the walkers are before the halfway pt, you can turn right. Let's not confuse w the relatively new crosswalk law.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20298 posts
4280 upvotes
Poormond Hill
If no police seen nearby, go!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Nov 7, 2012
962 posts
409 upvotes
TORONTO
Let me know how much waiting you do at busy intersections along Spadina. You would have to wait til rush hour is over to get through.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4049 posts
4348 upvotes
Toronto, ON
akswun wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 10:04 am
Let me know how much waiting you do at busy intersections along Spadina. You would have to wait til rush hour is over to get through.
Just wait till you get the entitled teenager who drags his body across the intersection all while staring down at his phone, and just decides to start crossing when the countdown is at 3.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5933 posts
1399 upvotes
???
The new law is for designated pedestrian cross walks. Like those in Toronto with the overhang and flashing yellow lights. Does not apply to stop sign intersections or regular light controlled intersections.