Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3566 posts
1038 upvotes
Ontario, Canada

When is it really time to retire tires?

A few months ago I bought new tires for my 2001 Corolla because one had a slow leak, i was at 100,000Km, and I got a good deal on new ones. After reading a few forums and websites it seems that getting 100,000km on the OEM tires is unusual. They're michelin MX4 175/65/r14. But the treadwear indicators show that i still have about 2mm before it hits them. So I have a couple of questions. The tires are 4 years old, have 100,000km on them, show no signs of cracking or anything on the sides.

Does having 2mm left before hitting the treadwear indicator mean I could have kept driving without worry or were they already past when you 'should' replace them and the treadwear indicator is more of a 'HAVE' to replace them indicator?

Are OEM tires like mine supposed to last 100,000km? Judging by the prices of tires and how long their warranties are it doesn't seem so.

I guess i'm wondering if these tires are worth driving on again (either temporarily or if anyone else could use them) or can i use them for tire swings :-).
20 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3566 posts
1038 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
And here's a separate question.

I could use a few more useless tires for a landscaping project. Do tire stores ever give away they're completely used up used tires for free?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
1674 posts
4 upvotes
2/32nds of an inch is the legal limit
that's how tire tread depth gauges are measured, in 32nds of an inch
anything below that is not exactly legal, even DOT approved compounds should be above 2/32nds of an inch when driven on the street. nobody really takes it into consideration but if popo stops you and wants to be an A-hole and measure your tread depth, he can deep your car unsafe for the road and tow it off
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
2040 posts
526 upvotes
'sauga
Tread depth is only one measure of the ability of a tire to be driven on. Over time, temperature and normal driving conditions stress the tire in ways that aren't always visible.

But the true test of a tire is how it feels when driven. Are the sidewalls getting soft? Do they stop within an adequate distance? Any unusual road noise, bulges or rythmic thumps that might indicate a slipped or broken belt? Do they handle adequately in wet weather? Cold weather?
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
1362 posts
toronto
Getting 100K on oem tires (or any tire) is good. Ones rated for 120K or something close to that is an overstatement just like your gas milage as given by EnerGuide. If you got that much out of it, you got your money's worth. You really aren't saving much by driving a bit longer on tires that are almost down to the legal limit, just replace them (as I think you did).
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2001
3625 posts
97 upvotes
Tires have wear bars - they look like black stripes across the face of the tire - you see those, get new ones, quick.
What the H E double hockey sticks have I done now?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3356 posts
62 upvotes
Ontario
If you have to ask, you should probably be replacing them soon. Why play games with the only thing holding you to the road?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7079 upvotes
West GTEH!
Michelin MX4 were great tires because I had a set.
Too bad Michelin doesn't manufacture them anymore. They were replaced by the Harmony.
100K is very good, but you're pushing your luck because as mentioned, over time the rubber compound hardens and the grip just isn't as good. I was in the same situation and it was hard to let go of the MX4's, but better safe than dead.
😎
Nov 12, 2003
492 posts
11 upvotes
Webhead wrote:Michelin MX4 were great tires because I had a set.
Too bad Michelin doesn't manufacture them anymore. They were replaced by the Harmony.
Are you implying that Harmony are not so good? The tire place I went to is suggesting a Michelin off-brand (Cavalier Primera?) which they claim is as good as the Harmony.
Banned
Mar 21, 2003
3085 posts
1 upvote
The tread mark guide is not telling you that you should NOW change your tires, it's saying you should have already changed them.

As others have said, if you are questioning it, just replace them.. you got 4 years and a ton of km on this set.. they are done! Just because you haven't hit the legal minimum tread doesn't mean the tire won't hit a nice piece of debris on the 401 and completely disintegrate.

Would you rather replace them today at your convenience or replace them next week when one tire is destroyed while enroute to work?
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2003
4250 posts
155 upvotes
Cambridge
On the car we use just around town I let them ride pretty much to the wear bar. The one that gets serious highway usage has tires replaced where yours are now.

If you think about it, there is probably about $10 worth of wear left on a tire that has 2mm compared to buying a new one today.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3566 posts
1038 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Did only a few people read my first sentence where I said that I just bought new tires? Seems like it :-)

Thanks for all the information though. I won't bother trying to keep these old ones and will use them for that landscaping thing I wanted to do.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3356 posts
62 upvotes
Ontario
Kevinck wrote:Did only a few people read my first sentence where I said that I just bought new tires? Seems like it :-)

Thanks for all the information though. I won't bother trying to keep these old ones and will use them for that landscaping thing I wanted to do.
I think everyone read it. I'm sure most of us are just saying what should be done in general, and for next time.

Tires and landscaping....that's so 1989. I just dug those out of my backyard in '95 :lol:
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
you throw them away when you drift at every corner turn!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7079 upvotes
West GTEH!
Gevaltech wrote:Are you implying that Harmony are not so good? The tire place I went to is suggesting a Michelin off-brand (Cavalier Primera?) which they claim is as good as the Harmony.
Imply?? No way. if you reread my post, IMO the MX4 were great tires. Excellent traction on dry/wet roads.
Michelin replaced these tires with the Harmony, which I have never bought or used so I don't know how good the Harmony's are.
😎
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2003
1850 posts
9 upvotes
I have a similar question but it relates to truck tires.

I've still got my OEM tires on my Toy Taco 4x4, there's still lots of tread left..these tires are beasts, but considering the truck just turned 10 years old but with only 90,000 km's on her.... are the tires done just based on 'length of use'. I know when I bought the truck new, the dealer had told me they see lots of trade ins come in 10+ years old with OEM tires still on them in good shape...but I'm thinking even big truck tires would have a 'time rating' on them wouldn't they.

The sidewalls look fine, there are some cracks along the dread but nothing that seems too deep.

Any truck guys out there??
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2695 posts
591 upvotes
North York
rc51 wrote: I've still got my OEM tires on my Toy Taco 4x4, there's still lots of tread left..these tires are beasts, but considering the truck just turned 10 years old but with only 90,000 km's on her.... are the tires done just based on 'length of use'.

The sidewalls look fine, there are some cracks along the dread but nothing that seems too deep.

Any truck guys out there??
Cracking in the tread or sidewall indicates the tires are done and should be replaced if you concerned about yours or others safety.

10 years is a long time for a set of tires, I have read that you should replace tires every 4-5 years because the rubber will degrade over time, and won't stick as well to the road, something very valuable when trying to avoid an accident.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
you should replace your tires, all it takes is a puddle on the highway and you hit it and hydroplane and crash. you can skimp on a lot of things on a car but definitely not tires. you can even get away with skimping on some maintance, but tires are your most important safety equipment on your car.
Banned
Mar 21, 2003
3085 posts
1 upvote
Kevinck wrote:Did only a few people read my first sentence where I said that I just bought new tires? Seems like it :-)
I read that you bought new tires, tho didn't read it good enough to notice you had them installed too.

I thought you were just waiting to get them put on... and asking as in when you should put them on.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11548 posts
5376 upvotes
Moving target
gilboman wrote:you should replace your tires, all it takes is a puddle on the highway and you hit it and hydroplane and crash. you can skimp on a lot of things on a car but definitely not tires. you can even get away with skimping on some maintance, but tires are your most important safety equipment on your car.
good advice. I kept telling my buddy to get winter tires instead of his crappy worn out all seaons. 4 months ago he wrote off his car when he smashed into a parked car. :cry:

get new tires, you'll enjoy the extra grip
Autocorrect sucks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)