• Oct 5th, 2004 8:59 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 17, 2003
34 posts
1 upvote

When rebates go BAD!

I think there should be a forum for people who get screwed by manufacturers and their so called "rebates."

I for one am never buying anything again that has the word "rebate" attatched to it. Today I received in the mail, a card from LEXAR MEDIA, stating that I did not qualify for a rebate, and the reason was unclear, but they listed a few things it may have been, all of which I fulfilled. Are there others like me, who get screwed by the so called rebates, making what looked like a hot deal, the most hated purchase you ever made?
14 replies
[OP]
Oct 17, 2003
34 posts
1 upvote
Yes, that's right, people can b!tch, and make others aware of their misfortunes. Maybe even give people a place to meet each other, and organise class law suits against these crooks........ but yeah, a whole forum would probably be overkill, but it doesn't seem to fit in to any of the other catagories.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2004
10209 posts
1138 upvotes
Brampton
sorry to hear that man
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 200+ and counting. RFD Feedback 59-0-0 and counting.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
10970 posts
329 upvotes
Ottawa
Boxing Day is the worst time; so many stores (FS mainly) have most of their deals as rebates. They count on your not mailing it in, missing the due date, or not caring enough to track them down.

I still have to dredge out my photocopies from last year.
- Absolute
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4521 posts
161 upvotes
Austin/Markham
Ya I have a staples rebate problem like that, 4 months after the rebate was sent, they said they mailed it, but I never received it. So I call them and they said they will send out another one, I wait 2 months still no rebate.

I reconfirm the address, and they said they will send it out but I never got it. I finally call them back 8-10 months later, and they said they upgraded their computer system and can no longer "track/record" my rebate. They said they have the record, but cannot access the payment dispensing part, and should go to a B&M Staples with the photocopies and try to prove somehow (they not clear on this) that I did not receive my rebate and get the rebate that way. It didn't work, 2 years later no rebate :(
:cry:
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Jan 31, 2004
281 posts
Vancouver
Microsoft Rebates are just as ********...
i sent in 4 around the same time
i received 1 no problem
the 3...i got back today unopened with a "Return to sender, offer expired" stamp on there...
but clearly...how did the know? and the offer expires on dec. 31
i called and asked...gave me an address to mail again with special handling(send $$ right away after receiving the rebate paperwork)
still no answer as to WHY this "offer expired" happened
Jul 1, 2003
547 posts
1 upvote
Futureshop actually TRIES to scam you when they do the rebates through the rebates centre, I'm thinking about the mail in rebates in regards to hardrives. They give you an address on the receipt which is conveniently missing the postal code, then if you go the website of the rebate company, there is no contact information! I had to do a reverse look up to find their postal code, I also got their phone number and thought I'd call in to confirm the address, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get anyone on the phone. Somebody answers it and they say that they are not the rebate centre, but that they will forward you to the company, and then you get put on hold indefinitely. So I asked the person what company they are and she told me some computer store, I looked up the address for this store and it was teh same as the rebate centre. The end of the story is that eventually I did get the rebate, but what do you think happened to all those people who couldn't get the address?
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2004
1084 posts
86 upvotes
Markham
It's been about 4 months and I haven't gotten my $15 rebate for my Linksys wireless router. This was through Best Buy.

Down with REBATES!!!! :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
6461 posts
3 upvotes
plisk3n wrote:It's been about 4 months and I haven't gotten my $15 rebate for my Linksys wireless router. This was through Best Buy.

Down with REBATES!!!! :twisted:
Heh... bought my Linksys WRT54G with the $15 rebate, and they sent me $30 :) Maybe I should start a forum about when rebates go GOOD!
[OP]
Oct 17, 2003
34 posts
1 upvote
The way I see it is, if Future Shop, and all these other big chains are including these rebates in their prices, then they should be the ones dealing with the manufacturers, not the consumer. You don't have to send off a copy of your receipt to GM when you go buy a new car with a $1000 rebate, so why do we have to mess around with all these manufacturers, when if should be the retailer doing all the work..... after all, it's their sale.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2002
2901 posts
106 upvotes
Oakville
Txiasaeia wrote:Heh... bought my Linksys WRT54G with the $15 rebate, and they sent me $30 :) Maybe I should start a forum about when rebates go GOOD!
I submitted a US$10 MIR with TigerDirect and got a check for US$30. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2002
1680 posts
1 upvote
in gm's case its a pos rebate like those costco coupons.. but even expanded they hance of fraud wil lotuweifght any not sent in rebates. near teh 3-4 yfigures mark rebate submission is nearly 80-100% and you'll be damn sure that people will find ways to make fake invoices, recepts etc. etc. or buy and return and send or something to get a $1000 rebate from GM comapred to a $10 rebate where the scheme will be too difficult for hte pay off (knowing someone inside, buy/return, some creative photoshop etc.)
ChiPPyx wrote:The way I see it is, if Future Shop, and all these other big chains are including these rebates in their prices, then they should be the ones dealing with the manufacturers, not the consumer. You don't have to send off a copy of your receipt to GM when you go buy a new car with a $1000 rebate, so why do we have to mess around with all these manufacturers, when if should be the retailer doing all the work..... after all, it's their sale.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2004
1903 posts
485 upvotes
Toronto
Best thing to do is file a complaint (with full documentation) to the Ministry of Consumer and Business Services (in Ontario - it'll be different for each province / territory). I've heard that if they get 5 or more complaints about a retailer they launch an investigation.

http://www.cbs.gov.on.ca/mcbs/english/2452_3fe.htm