• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2018 8:31 am
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada

When to replace garage door opener?

How do you guys decide when to replace your garage door opener? When it stops working? Or proactively based on expected lifespan? If the latter, what is the expected lifespan of a garage door opener?
19 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
3293 posts
988 upvotes
when it stop working, garage door openers are on sale every week at either Lowes, CT, HD and Rona
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
I do not think there is a working life. My neigbour has on that is over 20 years old and works fine.
I changed mine when it got too noisy. I lubricated, adjusted and tightened everything but it kept getting noisier and noisier so, failure was in the cards. Sale came up for a very quiet model and I bought it.
Then again, if you want new technology like DC motor, belt drive, battery back up, Home link, cell phone app etc, then you can change for the upgrade alone.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
When it fails.
Jan 7, 2006
763 posts
503 upvotes
Toronto
My parents have a 25 year old Chamberlain, I've replaced one of the gears and the rpm sensor in the past 10 years, cleaned the chain once in its life.

Parts were pretty cheap and available (under $50 each if I remember). But I guess you can say for about another $200 I could have upgraded to a belt driven model with apps, wifi and stuff.
Jan 7, 2013
855 posts
526 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
My house has an old Sears craftsman that didn't work when I was moving in (known issue from inspection). Ordered new replacement gears kit online for like $20 and it's working great again.

But belt drives are much quieter than chain drives if that matters to you. Also could get some with new bells and whistles like wifi and home automation.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2472 posts
1906 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
LOL why would you replace it if it still works?
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
BeapChastard wrote: LOL why would you replace it if it still works?
Because there’s some Hot Deals around. And if it breaks when there’s no hot deal it’ll cost me a couple hundred bucks more.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2472 posts
1906 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
gbill2004 wrote: Because there’s some Hot Deals around. And if it breaks when there’s no hot deal it’ll cost me a couple hundred bucks more.
Nope, regular price of a garage opener is like $170-400 depending on model. Besides, there are deals on them all the time, between Lowes, HD and CT there are at least a few models on sale at any given time.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
BeapChastard wrote: Nope, regular price of a garage opener is like $170-400 depending on model. Besides, there are deals on them all the time, between Lowes, HD and CT there are at least a few models on sale at any given time.
Actually yes. If there’s no sale on the one I want when mine eventually breaks, I will end up paying $100-200 extra.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
gbill2004 wrote: Actually yes. If there’s no sale on the one I want when mine eventually breaks, I will end up paying $100-200 extra.
Just wait for the sale and manually open your door.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Buy it on sale and have a back-up. How's that for a solution? Mine is still fine but only the one remote works...thankfully the one car has built-in garage door opener capability.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: Just wait for the sale and manually open your door.
+1

You only need to have a back up ready if it's physically a lot of work for you to open/close the door manually. For most people who drive to/from work, you'll only need to manually open it twice a workday. On weekends or when running to/from your house a lot, you can park on the street or driveway and just put it back in the garage at night.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2008
1615 posts
945 upvotes
Toronto
Door opener is definitely a run-to-failure item. Even then, you can usually find a fix on Youtube. The drive gear in my 20 year old Sears Craftsman had to be replaced last month - part was only 10 bucks from Amazon.

Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2472 posts
1906 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
gbill2004 wrote: Actually yes. If there’s no sale on the one I want when mine eventually breaks, I will end up paying $100-200 extra.
Why do you have to buy a specific one? They all work, if one isn't on sale then buy a different one.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
BeapChastard wrote: Why do you have to buy a specific one? They all work, if one isn't on sale then buy a different one.
I like the app and wifi capable ones.
Mar 6, 2017
76 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto, ON
A related question - one of my garage door openers started "acting" on its own. What I mean is, it will randomly turn the light on or partially open the door by itself. I've noticed it and promptly unplugged the beast. I've tried it several times since and it is still behaving this way. Any idea what the reason might be? I am using my garage as a workshop, so don't need to open the door often, but I am wondering if I should get a new unit or if there is a way to reset the one I have.
Thanks!
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
ThereAndBackAgain wrote: A related question - one of my garage door openers started "acting" on its own. What I mean is, it will randomly turn the light on or partially open the door by itself. I've noticed it and promptly unplugged the beast. I've tried it several times since and it is still behaving this way. Any idea what the reason might be? I am using my garage as a workshop, so don't need to open the door often, but I am wondering if I should get a new unit or if there is a way to reset the one I have.
Thanks!
You posted no information on the unit itself. No one will be able to help you with out that.

Someone probably has set their remote to the same code as your opener.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1528 posts
325 upvotes
Grimsby
tebore wrote: You posted no information on the unit itself. No one will be able to help you with out that.

Someone probably has set their remote to the same code as your opener.
Yes indeed. I have a friend with a remote ceiling fan and at times during the night his fan is activated :) Or was until he turned the thing off at the wall.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
ThereAndBackAgain wrote: A related question - one of my garage door openers started "acting" on its own. What I mean is, it will randomly turn the light on or partially open the door by itself. I've noticed it and promptly unplugged the beast. I've tried it several times since and it is still behaving this way. Any idea what the reason might be? I am using my garage as a workshop, so don't need to open the door often, but I am wondering if I should get a new unit or if there is a way to reset the one I have.
Thanks!
How about resetting the unit and re-program the remotes?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)