None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
13727 posts
9223 upvotes
Toronto

When selling really expensive items

Meet in a Police station so you don't end up like this guy over a $20K watch. From the pics it looks like the seller thought Thompson Diner would be safe, they were wrong!

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/33748
"Had one yesterday and there was a full slice of onion no thinner than a polio shoe.

I cried out in despair." RFD user Dingus
12 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
2809 posts
574 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
Yea, I would do the same as its too risky to meet even at busy public places. Police station is your best solution
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
3625 posts
812 upvotes
Debtario
Police station, why not a jeweler? I would be suspicious of a buyer just willing to pay that much without any verification of authenticity. A jeweler with security guards and where you need to be buzzed in would be ideal IMO, worst case scenario they are not able to easily exit and not without being on camera.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14182 posts
1533 upvotes
Toronto
What's to stop them from just following you away from the police station and robbing you somewhere else? Or having a friend do it after being informed of your description?
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
3625 posts
812 upvotes
Debtario
Piro21 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2016 4:47 pm
What's to stop them from just following you away from the police station and robbing you somewhere else? Or having a friend do it after being informed of your description?
Likely too much effort required. They'd have to not show up, see you there, follow you, assume you have the goods, and then take it from you. Alternatively, they'd have to show up, pay up, then follow you around the corner and get their money back, but they'd still have to pay the capital up front in that case. Seems easier to just show up, ask to see it, and then YOINK! and run
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
2809 posts
574 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
roggers wrote:
Jan 19th, 2016 6:57 pm
Great idea!

But, would the police allow you to meet there? As in, wouldn't they question what you are doing inside the station lobby waiting for an outsider? Would they facilitate/supervise the exchange?

Anyone have experience?
Yes it has been discussed that even the police encourages deal trades to be done in there.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Banned
Mar 25, 2016
28 posts
Not all new members are scammers. I am new here but I am older adult and not a scammer. It's sad that the few make it difficult for new members. I got my son to set this up for me as I have items to sell. he recommended to list them on here. I am used to doing things the old fashioned way on Ebay.
Banned
Dec 20, 2015
259 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Karma...What goes around, will definitely come around!
Oct 27, 2014
24 posts
18 upvotes
Barrie, ON
lamboman wrote:
Mar 27th, 2016 4:27 pm
Karma...What goes around, will definitely come around!
The problem is that crime pays and too many people know that. Plus it's too easy to steal items if someone is morally flexible.

When I meet my maker I want to have a clear conscience. Plus I like having integrity. Others only care for themselves and whats in it for them. Sad....what the world's becoming. Or maybe it's always been like that and I'm finally seeing it.....
Banned
Dec 20, 2015
259 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto, ON
TheWrightStuff wrote:
Mar 26th, 2016 1:47 pm
Not all new members are scammers. I am new here but I am older adult and not a scammer. It's sad that the few make it difficult for new members. I got my son to set this up for me as I have items to sell. he recommended to list them on here. I am used to doing things the old fashioned way on Ebay.
LOL a new member and he gets banned already! And he quotes "not a scammer" ...REALLLLYYYYYY HAHA