• Jan 17th, 2019 8:48 am
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2018
4258 posts
4261 upvotes
callernamet wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 11:30 am
This headline is nuts
She's going to be a worse steward to that $70 billion than Jeff, if that's the award. That invariably has economy-wide consequences.
Jul 31, 2008
281 posts
94 upvotes
Markham
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 1:02 pm
She's going to be a worse steward to that $70 billion than Jeff, if that's the award. That invariably has economy-wide consequences.
That is no way to speak about my future wife.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1428 posts
758 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 1:02 pm
How so? Presuming its Amazon stock, its not too hard to find companies that have much greater earnings per dollar invested.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2018
4258 posts
4261 upvotes
burnt69 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 10:01 pm
How so? Presuming its Amazon stock, its not too hard to find companies that have much greater earnings per dollar invested.
Owning stock is a lot more than sitting on it when it's a strategic stake. She simply doesn't understand the company and it's operations anywhere near as well as Jeff, and this forced re-allocation from Jeff threatens his influence against other strategic institutional investors. If the ex isn't totally aligned with Jeff, or does not give him proxy voting rights on her shares, this adds an immediate instability risk from a managment and strategic control perspective.

Matrimonial law is such a mess.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1428 posts
758 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 10:21 pm
Owning stock is a lot more than sitting on it when it's a strategic stake. She simply doesn't understand the company and it's operations anywhere near as well as Jeff, and this forced re-allocation from Jeff threatens his influence against other strategic institutional investors. If the ex isn't totally aligned with Jeff, or does not give him proxy voting rights on her shares, this adds an immediate instability risk from a managment and strategic control perspective.
I'd suggest that its very dangerous to have so much power over such a large enterprise concentrated in the hands of a single person. A single person who has yet to guide the company to meaningful profitability.

Maybe if she gets a seat on the board, Amazon can be reformed into a firm that is efficient and profitable. Instead of the very poorly performing mess that it currently is.

And I wouldn't underestimate the intelligence of this lady. Its quite possible that not only does she understand the company, she may understand it even better than her former husband. Your comments unfortunately appear to be rooted in some misogynistic view that women are not capable of understanding business. Obviously he doesn't, as he's run the business for 20 years and has yet to produce a meaningful return on invested capital and actual returns for investors.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
3916 posts
414 upvotes
Ottawa
burnt69 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 11:13 pm
I'd suggest that its very dangerous to have so much power over such a large enterprise concentrated in the hands of a single person. A single person who has yet to guide the company to meaningful profitability.

Maybe if she gets a seat on the board, Amazon can be reformed into a firm that is efficient and profitable. Instead of the very poorly performing mess that it currently is.

And I wouldn't underestimate the intelligence of this lady. Its quite possible that not only does she understand the company, she may understand it even better than her former husband. Your comments unfortunately appear to be rooted in some misogynistic view that women are not capable of understanding business. Obviously he doesn't, as he's run the business for 20 years and has yet to produce a meaningful return on invested capital and actual returns for investors.
99.9% of people, be they man or woman, would not know how to run a company like Amazon efficiently. Simply being married to someone who is able to do so does not mean that they would be able to do it themselves.

As for being unsuccessful or unprofitable, by just about every useful measure the company has been a significant success. Does it provide actual returns for investors? It does not pay dividends, but they have made it clear that they do not intend to for the foreseeable future; it's a viable strategy and one that investors were well aware of. Considering how the stock prices have risen, it seems to work out quite well for the investors.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
4671 posts
251 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:40 am
I've been around enough businesses to know that the luck factor isn't as big as people think. A lot of things came together in Amazon's favor: forward planning, timing, hard work, brilliance, sheer persistence, and yes some luck.
How many businesses have you been around that were created by founders who are now billionaires? It's nothing special for a brilliant and determined person to start a business and run it successfully - there are plenty of these around. But as you said, a lot of things have to come together in the right way to make the founder a billionaire, and many of these things are beyond the control of the founder - i.e. he needs to be very lucky among other things. If Bezos had been born 10 years later, do you think he would still have been able to build Amazon to be what it is?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2018
4258 posts
4261 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 3:21 pm
Stupid question but what the h*ll is SO?
SO is the sexually neutered term for wife (or husband), it means significant other.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
10095 posts
1897 upvotes
Montréal
Talk about a topic going off the rails. The spouse gets half, deal w it unless/until you can get the law changed. All this talk about whether she deserves it, can manage the co, fulfilled Jeff's sexual needs (or not), etc, is just ridiculous.

No one commenting on Jeff's sexts? Now *that's* a topic, talk about cringe lol. Alive girl lmao.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
1254 posts
341 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 4:20 pm
Talk about a topic going off the rails. The spouse gets half, deal w it unless/until you can get the law changed. All this talk about whether she deserves it, can manage the co, fulfilled Jeff's sexual needs (or not), etc, is just ridiculous.

No one commenting on Jeff's sexts? Now *that's* a topic, talk about cringe lol. Alive girl lmao.
People acting like a bunch of homers in here. It’s not even their money. The dude is a billionaire and will be just fine.
Mar 6, 2014
446 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
Marriage laws in North America is just ridiculous, but I don't even care if MacKenzie Bezos take half of Jeff's money.

My concern with this divorce is that she would become a major controlling shareholder of Amazon. At a 8% stake, she can exert her influence on the board, and I don't think she has the business experience, background or acumen to take on such an important responsibility.

At 8% stake, this would also dilute Jeff's commitment on growing the biggest internet company in the world. If I were Jeff, I would feel violated for losing half of my wealth and will question myself why I want to be working so hard anymore to grow that bitxh's wealth. I would consider just saying F this and walk away. Time to sell Amazon and buy Alibaba.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
1254 posts
341 upvotes
Statistics101 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 5:06 pm
Marriage laws in North America is just ridiculous, but I don't even care if MacKenzie Bezos take half of Jeff's money.

My concern with this divorce is that she would become a major controlling shareholder of Amazon. At a 8% stake, she can exert her influence on the board, and I don't think she has the business experience, background or acumen to take on such an important responsibility.

At 8% stake, this would also dilute Jeff's commitment on growing the biggest internet company in the world. If I were Jeff, I would feel violated for losing half of my wealth and will question myself why I want to be working so hard anymore to grow that bitxh's wealth. I would consider just saying F this and walk away. Time to sell Amazon and buy Alibaba.
Why are you concerned about another person’s marriage that you have no connection to?
Mar 6, 2014
446 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
MyNameWasTaken wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 5:12 pm
Why are you concerned about another person’s marriage that you have no connection to?
Because I own AMZN.

I'm concerned about the board's dynamics with MacKenzie in the picture and Jeff's commitment to continue as CEO.

8% is still a lot. I recall Jack Ma's stake on BABA is only 7%.

Maybe I should have posted on the finance forum instead.