Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1863 posts
1368 upvotes

When someone is banned...

would it be possible for the mod to indicate what was the reason? This way other posters could learn from other people's mistakes and try to make sure to avoid such missteps.

Sometimes it is obvious why one was banned, but in other cases it is not so clear. And since we would like to be able to keep on posting it would be nice to have as much info as possible.

Thank you.
Physical pride is amusing. Mental pride can be annoying. But spiritual pride can be dangerous.
Share:
43 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
11036 posts
19504 upvotes
Scarborough
Similar to the infraction system, reasons for user bannings have always been kept private to respect the personal privacy of the individual user. Select times we have provided reasons for bannings when it possibly involved user safety (e.g: being banned for scamming other users).

More often than not we try to inform users of any problems through edits/warnings/private messages before we'd issue an infraction. There's plenty of room for error before any account would become banned (in most cases). If you read and follow the rules and practice common sense, it's very unlikely you'll end up banned.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2203 posts
730 upvotes
I received a PM from a friend of a user, who was on the receiving end of personal attacks in the now locked New Zealand thread. He says the user who was receiving personal attacks, was shadow banned. I told him to contact you for explanation. I'm not sure if OP is referring to the same user.

M
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
11036 posts
19504 upvotes
Scarborough
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Mar 18th, 2019 12:14 pm
I received a PM from a friend of a user, who was on the receiving end of personal attacks in the now locked New Zealand thread. He says the user who was receiving personal attacks, was shadow banned. I told him to contact you for explanation. I'm not sure if OP is referring to the same user.

M
We're still in the process of reviewing everything that happened in that thread (a lot of rules were broken by many). It's very possible that accounts have been suspended and/or users have lost access to select forums.

Anyone with account questions are always welcome to contact us.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2203 posts
730 upvotes
Sounds good with me, Tom. That's what I did, I directed them to you. Thanks.

M
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Jan 23, 2019
4 posts
North York
Hi TomRFD I was sent an e.mail from Shan username Taurus Judge with pictures of not being able to access forum to post or send private mesage. Here is the pictures.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
7772 posts
3982 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
What exactly is RFD (@TomRFD) doing in terms of preventing previously banned users from making new accounts?

Let's just say I find it odd that so-called newbies immediately jump into Off-Topic and begin posting comments (even trolling) as if they're already familiar with the RFD environment.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
11036 posts
19504 upvotes
Scarborough
chimaican wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 3:34 pm
What exactly is RFD (@TomRFD) doing in terms of preventing previously banned users from making new accounts?

Let's just say I find it odd that so-called newbies immediately jump into Off-Topic and begin posting comments (even trolling) as if they're already familiar with the RFD environment.
I won't get into specifics (because it would make it easier for people to circumvent our tactics) but we do whatever we can to try to prevent this from happening. You're not wrong in that new users don't typically jump head first into Off Topic.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4736 posts
641 upvotes
Information

You are not authorised to read this forum.
so I am one of the chosen ones Winking Face

who did I offend ?
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4736 posts
641 upvotes
TomRFD wrote:
Mar 18th, 2019 12:25 pm
We're still in the process of reviewing everything that happened in that thread (a lot of rules were broken by many). It's very possible that accounts have been suspended and/or users have lost access to select forums.

Anyone with account questions are always welcome to contact us.
any more info on that pls.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
11036 posts
19504 upvotes
Scarborough
lubmar wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 11:30 am
any more info on that pls.
If you have a question about your account please send me a PM or use our contact us page.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18444 posts
3114 upvotes
GTA West
TomLafinsky wrote:
Mar 18th, 2019 11:10 am
would it be possible for the mod to indicate what was the reason? This way other posters could learn from other people's mistakes and try to make sure to avoid such missteps.

Sometimes it is obvious why one was banned, but in other cases it is not so clear. And since we would like to be able to keep on posting it would be nice to have as much info as possible.
The RFD staff are smart to never reveal the reasons. If they did do, it would build up a body of 'case law,' creating a standard and expectations against which future moderation actions would be judged. For example:

Guy 1 got banned because they did X, Y and Z.
Guy 2 did X, Y, Z three times over, and did not get banned.

RFD users: Why didn't Guy 2 get banned? WTF is this double standard?! Were is the staff accountability?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
3774 posts
2321 upvotes
Burnaby
chimaican wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 3:34 pm

TomRFD wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 11:34 am

If you have a question about your account please send me a PM or use our contact us page.
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 10:22 pm

The RFD staff are smart to never reveal the reasons. If they did do, it would build up a body of 'case law,' creating a standard and expectations against which future moderation actions would be judged. For example:

Guy 1 got banned because they did X, Y and Z.
Guy 2 did X, Y, Z three times over, and did not get banned.

RFD users: Why didn't Guy 2 get banned? WTF is this double standard?! Were is the staff accountability?
Lots of wonder newbies lately, particularly in the OT-PRC subforum. One-track minded and baiters. Definitely not your bonafide regular RFD member.

Perhaps a solution to this annoying problem would be to grant access to the Off Topic forum in stages after the user proves they aren't up to mischief, for example granting access to the Off Topic general forum (but not to the PRC subforum) ONLY after a minimum number of posts in non-OT forums, say 100-200 or a direct PM request to the admins (if it's for an urgent and worthy matter) and granting access to OT-PRC long after that (only after let's say 300 posts outside OT -- or even a larger threshold).

Pretty unusual and contorted seeing a user not taking care of their issue directly (through the contact-us well-known and well-established channel for reporting issues or exceptionally by creating a disposable account) but doing so through other RFD members as middle-men. Not a good practice at all.
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
11036 posts
19504 upvotes
Scarborough
aviador wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 3:25 pm
Perhaps a solution to this annoying problem would be to grant access to the Off Topic forum in stages after the user proves they aren't up to mischief, for example granting access to the Off Topic general forum (but not to the PRC subforum) ONLY after a minimum number of posts in non-OT forums, say 100-200 or a direct PM request to the admins (if it's for an urgent and worthy matter) and granting access to OT-PRC long after that (only after let's say 300 posts outside OT -- or even a larger threshold).
This is actually something we're in the process of doing right now. We know some of these new accounts are returning banned members and/or second/third accounts of people who don't want to get in trouble with their main account. I expect it to be ready by next week.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11752 posts
1631 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Setting up parameters based on post count doesnt work. What happens on other forums that employs this is the user just make comments like "How are you.. I'm a newb here.", "Thanks", etc. as a reply to 50 - 100 posts. Thus, allowing them access to the debate forums where they show their real online trolling personality. A better more stringent way is based on "upvotes". Someone receiving a threshold of 100 upvotes with zero infractions is a much better measurement of a contributing member than some troll based on 100 post count.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING