Home & Garden

When to stop watering the lawn and prepare it for winter?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2008 7:46 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2004
4765 posts
225 upvotes

When to stop watering the lawn and prepare it for winter?

I'm still watering these days and applied some seeds a few days ago. Plan to lay fertilizer in another 2 weeks. Is that the right thing to do to prepare the lawn for winter?

I know there's a thread for general garden advice but I guess many new home owners would like to know the answer to this question.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5669 posts
161 upvotes
GTA
golden wrote:
Oct 6th, 2008 3:24 pm
I'm still watering these days and applied some seeds a few days ago. Plan to lay fertilizer in another 2 weeks. Is that the right thing to do to prepare the lawn for winter?

I know there's a thread for general garden advice but I guess many new home owners would like to know the answer to this question.
I don't beleive lawns are too thursty this time of year, especially after all the rain we had lately and the morning dew that you see on your lawn.

I plan on just applying a winter fertilizer within the next coming weeks and thats about it!!!!

sk
Apr 22, 2007
802 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
golden wrote:

You actually watered your lawn this year? My grass only yellowed once on me and that was when I was on holiday for 1 1/2 weeks but as soon as I came back, it started to rain again and it turned green in a few days.

My next door neighbour has an automatic sprinkler system that seems to kick in anyway for this entire season. I only watered my lawn once this year and that was a mistake because it rained hard the next day.

This year, my lawn is as green as my neighbour that watered. Last year was a different story.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14316 posts
91 upvotes
Mississauga
If it helps, irrigation companies start shutting down sprinkler systems in November. Thats when mine will be done. And no, I didn't use it much this year, but last year was another story.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
3955 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
golden wrote:

If i were you I would only water on warmer days and only because you said you applied seed to the lawn a few days ago. If no seed was applied then you could turn of the water works. There will be only a few warm days that may seem like you should water but remember that the ground is getting cooler and staying damp longer with just the dew that happens overnight.

Dave
You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something sometime in your life!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2004
4765 posts
225 upvotes
Thanks! I'll wait a couple weeks, apply the fertilizer and be done this year.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2001
1049 posts
I watered my lawn today, I put seed down about a week and half ago and nothing has sprouted yet.
Not planning to put on winter fertilzer until mid nov.
× < >