None
[OP]
Jan 19, 2009
124 posts
8 upvotes

When to tell an employer you're quitting

Cliffnotes:

- Currently in a coop position
- during the interview employer stated if I was a good fit personality and performance wise I will be asked to return for the rest of my coop terms + after graduation
- throughout the term they've made it clear that they do want me back
- i do not want to go back
- i dont want to be pigeon holed in a small company with limited growth
- i dont want to be pigeon holed in a particular industry, i do want to explore different jobs through the coop process

My coop term ends in April. I've spoken with my co-op coordinator and she told me to be very careful because by accepting this position i did implicitly agree to return for the rest of my co-op terms. However, I do not want to return and I'm pretty firm on this.

When should I tell my supervisor? Immediately or wait until the end of April/coop term?
4 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13794 posts
1304 upvotes
I don't think that there is any implicit agreement that you will stay working for the same employer for every co-op term.

If employers and employees are to be on equal footing, there has to be equal power on both sides in deciding whether to stay or leave.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
1798 posts
393 upvotes
hybridfx2 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2012 7:56 pm
Cliffnotes:

- Currently in a coop position
- during the interview employer stated if I was a good fit personality and performance wise I will be asked to return for the rest of my coop terms + after graduation
- throughout the term they've made it clear that they do want me back
- i do not want to go back
- i dont want to be pigeon holed in a particular industry, i do want to explore different jobs through the coop process

My coop term ends in April. I've spoken with my co-op coordinator and she told me to be very careful because by accepting this position i did implicitly agree to return for the rest of my co-op terms. However, I do not want to return and I'm pretty firm on this.

When should I tell my supervisor? Immediately or wait until the end of April/coop term?

I'd wait until the end of the term. If you tell your supervisor now, it might be an awkward last few weeks. Try to frame your reason for leaving in a positive manner rather than saying, "I don't want to be pigeon holed in a small company with limited growth." Maybe you can say you want to explore different types of roles/industries so that you are more well rounded when you graduate.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2009
2307 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
hybridfx2 wrote:

At least in Waterloo you dont exactly decide (or sign) whether or not you are going back to the employer for the next term until your final co-op evaluation with your supervisor. At the end of the form, there's a part with checkbox that say whether or not you are coming back for the next term, so you dont need to decide (and there's no such thing as implicitly accept) until the end of the term.
hybridfx2 wrote:
You should explore as many possibilities as you can during co-ops.
BUT - I just want to take note with your point above - small company has great potential for growth, depending on the company of course. But if you get the chance to start from the ground with a start up / small company and really be part of the company, it would give you awesome opportunities because you are likely to get a chance to work with a lot of things, get a lot of responsibilities and do things that you won't get to do with bigger companies.
[OP]
Jan 19, 2009
124 posts
8 upvotes
Yeah i think i will tell my boss this week or next, whenever I hand in my work term report and we go over the final evaluation process.