Students

when is UTAPS?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2014 10:41 pm
Tags:
Oct 2, 2009
572 posts
375 upvotes
I checked ROSI and found a $309.53 credit (lol yes its 309.53 which is exactly what i last paid UT)

Im getting around 8.5k from OSAP yet I'm only receiving $300....
My friend who gets 9.5k from OSAP is getting 6k and another friend who is getting 4k from OSAP got $400 (we are in the same program and it costs 14k for tuition)....HOW DOES THIS MAKE SENSE???

I called admission and the woman just pushed it onto the accounts department lol
Mar 28, 2011
253 posts
13 upvotes
mewko1502 wrote: My friend who gets 9.5k from OSAP is getting 6k and another friend who is getting 4k from OSAP got $400 (we are in the same program and it costs 14k for tuition)....HOW DOES THIS MAKE SENSE???
l
Rotman?
Jan 5, 2011
868 posts
569 upvotes
Scarborough
Yea it's so random -_-. Last year I got 6.2k for a ~12.5k program and this year only 1.4k when the tuition went up to nearly ~14k...
Oct 2, 2009
572 posts
375 upvotes
Temperamental wrote: Yea it's so random -_-. Last year I got 6.2k for a ~12.5k program and this year only 1.4k when the tuition went up to nearly ~14k...
but in my case it doesnt make sense
Isnt UTAPS the difference of what OSAP thinks you need - what OSAP gives you?
Why would my friend who got 4k from OSAP get 400 but me getting 8k (because I need the loan more than my friend ) get 309.53 lol
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
4465 posts
426 upvotes
Toronto
I got like 4k last year. $0 this year and my tuition itself has gone above 10k without residence. Gonna start a protest. Occupy Financial Aid Office.
Buy Bell, and you go to HELL! :-0
Mar 28, 2011
253 posts
13 upvotes
Sounds like (for some reason) you get a hefty amount the first time that you get UTAPS, and pretty much nothing in subsequent years...? Now i'm not so optimistic for next year :(
Oct 30, 2009
57 posts
211 upvotes
Insomniac05 wrote: Sounds like (for some reason) you get a hefty amount the first time that you get UTAPS, and pretty much nothing in subsequent years...? Now i'm not so optimistic for next year :(
I actually got more UTAPS this year then last year.
Mar 28, 2011
253 posts
13 upvotes
I was always [...] that U of T are [...] for having tuition so much higher than other universities for the same programs, but after UTAPS it pretty much levels out. Now to just hope for the same amount next year as well ;)
Nov 16, 2013
554 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto
Hey all, thought we could bump this thread now that November is upon us. Please update if you've received UTAPS with how much you've received so the rest of us can keep a look out. Thanks!
Jan 5, 2011
868 posts
569 upvotes
Scarborough
Received mine on the 8th, got $4700 :D . Now I'm just being greedy and hoping there's another payment around February like last year lol.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
1816 posts
29 upvotes
How do you apply for UTAPS? Is it just automatic if you've applied and received OSAP funding?
Nov 16, 2013
554 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto
Hi all, just wanted to update on receiving UTAPS because maybe my experience will help some of you next year. I didn't receive anything in November even though my financial need was higher than the previous 2 years, so I called Financial Aid to ask if there was still a chance UTAPS was being distributed. They told me my application was waiting to be manually assessed for some reason, along with other students', and that if I was to get anything it would be in December. Through subsequent contact with Fin Aid I learned that the assessment was actually happening in January after the break. Anyway, I received money in late Jan and it looks like I've just received a second amount for February - a huge relief! So if the calculator tells you you should be getting something but you don't receive anything when everyone else is getting theirs, it's worth a shot to call Financial Aid to check if you've been assessed yet.
Aug 30, 2013
258 posts
12 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
"UTAPS funding is based on OSAP methodology as it provides a uniform, verified way of assessing student need. For students who are assessed by OSAP as requiring maximum assistance and whose assessed need is not fully covered by government aid, the University will ensure that the unmet need is met. Students receiving funding from another province/territory or a First Nations band are also eligible for consideration."

This number to check your assessment is also recommended: (416) 978-2190

Good luck!
Jan 29, 2016
2 posts
Toronto
If I did not pay any amount of my tuition fee until late October and then I log in rosi and notice that the balance went down to half of it. Is this deducted amount all the UTAPS that I get this year, or will there be a second half coming in Feb next year? I am asking because, as many other people, I got two halves in Nov and in Feb last school year. I am wondering of UTAPS always is issued in 2 halves, or if your ROSI balance is higher than the total amount of UTAPS then all of the UTAPS grant will be used to deduct this balance at once.
Nov 16, 2013
554 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto
greenlv wrote: If I did not pay any amount of my tuition fee until late October and then I log in rosi and notice that the balance went down to half of it. Is this deducted amount all the UTAPS that I get this year, or will there be a second half coming in Feb next year? I am asking because, as many other people, I got two halves in Nov and in Feb last school year. I am wondering of UTAPS always is issued in 2 halves, or if your ROSI balance is higher than the total amount of UTAPS then all of the UTAPS grant will be used to deduct this balance at once.

It's not always issued in two halves. I think it just depends on the amount. One year, I only got one payment in the fall and that's all I was eligible for. If you call Enrollment Services they will be able to tell you.
Jan 29, 2016
2 posts
Toronto
n31290 wrote: It's not always issued in two halves. I think it just depends on the amount. One year, I only got one payment in the fall and that's all I was eligible for. If you call Enrollment Services they will be able to tell you.
thank you!

Since this amount deducted from my ROSI tuition fee balance almost equals the total of the two halves that I had received last year, I suspect that this deducted amount is all that I will get this year. However, all my classmates said that they received the grant in 2 halves as I did last year, that is why I was wondering. Thank you for your reply.