Shopping Discussion

When you take the "value" out of Value Village...

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2015 2:05 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 21, 2007
643 posts
65 upvotes
Calgary

When you take the "value" out of Value Village...

The story has been blowing up online, especially on Value Village's FB page.

Castanet: Value Village Takes Heat

Find good deals? No good deals? Let's hear your stories.
:)
73 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3907 posts
1018 upvotes
Toronto
meh, i dont get why people are so outraged. if the price of the item is too high, dont buy it. theyre a business just like any other "charity". majority of the money goes to overhead.
afaic they can charge whatever they want
Feb 27, 2014
289 posts
50 upvotes
For that price, Marks has some good brand new jackets.
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
412 upvotes
Toronto
You people dont get it do you? My GF tells me the same thing.... why buy a shirt for $7.99 at Value Village when I can buy it for the same price brand new at WalMart.

Let me see. The shirt at Walmart is a chinese cheap garment that will shrink and discolor after washing... a feeble shirt made with thin cotton.

The shirt at Value Village was dropped there by a rich guy and it originally costed him $75 or more. Its thick cotton and genuine quality. It was worn by a millionaire who is cleaner than I am so what? Vallue Village is the best value.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
21595 posts
7510 upvotes
While I'm not doubting there's a few gems most of the stuff there is garbage at newer than retail pricing.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
751 upvotes
Vancouver
Gammatron wrote:
Nov 1st, 2015 3:07 pm
You people dont get it do you? My GF tells me the same thing.... why buy a shirt for $7.99 at Value Village when I can buy it for the same price brand new at WalMart.

Let me see. The shirt at Walmart is a chinese cheap garment that will shrink and discolor after washing... a feeble shirt made with thin cotton.

The shirt at Value Village was dropped there by a rich guy and it originally costed him $75 or more. Its thick cotton and genuine quality. It was worn by a millionaire who is cleaner than I am so what? Vallue Village is the best value.

Problem is VV is charging $100 for that $75 shirt, not $7.99.
There is no way that columbia jacket is worth $200 used, was it retail for $1000 when it was brand new??? For $200 you can get decent brand new Columbia jacket.

Also, I'd take $7.99 chinese sweat shop made brand new t-shirt at walmart over $7.99 used shirt at VV.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
751 upvotes
Vancouver
Stuff ppl posted on their FB are tooooo funny rofl!!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5465 posts
1631 upvotes
Space
People seem to get the impression VV is a store tied to charity. It's far from it. It's first and foremost a business and I wouldn't be surprised if less than 20% of its sales are donated to charity. I don't blame people complaining. They are donating stuff to what they believe is a good cause but in the end it's just a business with profits in mind.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
21595 posts
7510 upvotes
Solsearchin1 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2015 4:39 pm
People seem to get the impression VV is a store tied to charity. It's far from it. It's first and foremost a business and I wouldn't be surprised if less than 20% of its sales are donated to charity. I don't blame people complaining. They are donating stuff to what they believe is a good cause but in the end it's just a business with profits in mind.
Yeah really.
Where do I sign for a store where my stock costs are literally zero?
Even if I (re)donated 1/2 my stock that didn't sell to anywhere I still have a zero product cost.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4609 posts
646 upvotes
Solsearchin1 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2015 4:39 pm
I saw a report the other day, its far lower than 20% of sales. I dont remember the exact # but basically its a tiny amount
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3907 posts
1018 upvotes
Toronto
HP_John wrote:
Nov 1st, 2015 7:34 pm
I saw a report the other day, its far lower than 20% of sales. I dont remember the exact # but basically its a tiny amount
It's pretty much in line with the popular breast cancer charities
Mar 15, 2010
50 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Wow, less than 20%, I didn't know. I thought they were helping the cerebral palsy foundation. My old clothes will now go in the garbage instead.