Shopping Discussion

When you take the "value" out of Value Village...

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2015 2:05 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3410 posts
624 upvotes
London
How about diabetes.CA instead? Details are on their page. Or a local homeless shelter. Garbage is a terrible cop out.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
21644 posts
7550 upvotes
MADCRACKER2000 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2015 8:28 pm
Wow, less than 20%, I didn't know. I thought they were helping the cerebral palsy foundation. My old clothes will now go in the garbage instead.
There's lots of other places you can donate your used clothing.
You just have to find a backer that fits with your philosophy.
For example I avoid the sally ann because of their hardcore religious beliefs.
But there's no reason you couldn't donate to someone like Big Brothers Big Sisters.
Around here there's tons of bins for them.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4301 posts
587 upvotes
Maybe they meant to price it at $19.99?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5466 posts
1631 upvotes
Space
Come on now, no need to throw anything out that's useful. There's a group in my town that collects all kinds of items clothes, electronics etc and they ship it all to Africa. I'm sure with a little research you can find a place that can use your excess ( with charity in mind ).

MADCRACKER2000 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2015 8:28 pm
Wow, less than 20%, I didn't know. I thought they were helping the cerebral palsy foundation. My old clothes will now go in the garbage instead.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4186 posts
1456 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
Solsearchin1 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2015 10:41 pm
Come on now, no need to throw anything out that's useful. There's a group in my town that collects all kinds of items clothes, electronics etc and they ship it all to Africa. I'm sure with a little research you can find a place that can use your excess ( with charity in mind ).
Donating material goods like clothing to Africa prevents their economy from improving. It perpetuates the cycle of poverty, rather than helping people.

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/1623561
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2007
2270 posts
67 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Nov 1st, 2015 8:50 pm

For example I avoid the sally ann because of their hardcore religious beliefs.
How does their hardcore religious beliefs prevent you from shopping there? I volunteer at my local Salvation Army and it is greatly needed in my small town.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5466 posts
1631 upvotes
Space
That's definitely a different point of view. Unfortunately I live in a small town, so it's either that or the garbage. I give to family and friends first and send the rest to people who ship donations out.
Russell wrote:
Nov 1st, 2015 10:51 pm
Donating material goods like clothing to Africa prevents their economy from improving. It perpetuates the cycle of poverty, rather than helping people.

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/1623561
Aug 13, 2011
926 posts
197 upvotes
HP_John wrote:
Nov 1st, 2015 7:34 pm
I saw a report the other day, its far lower than 20% of sales. I dont remember the exact # but basically its a tiny amount
Last time I heard, they paid per pound of donations. I can't remember the exact number but it was only a few cents per pound.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4015 posts
637 upvotes
Richmond
importpsycho wrote:
Nov 1st, 2015 3:58 pm
Problem is VV is charging $100 for that $75 shirt, not $7.99.
There is no way that columbia jacket is worth $200 used, was it retail for $1000 when it was brand new??? For $200 you can get decent brand new Columbia jacket.

Also, I'd take $7.99 chinese sweat shop made brand new t-shirt at walmart over $7.99 used shirt at VV.
lol and sport Chek is having a sale on them. Less than 150 brand new. Soft shell ones were going for 100 bucks earlier.

I got a brand new t-shirt shirt from Rcss for 2.94. Plus a bunch of t shirts for 5 bucks from Rcss as well. Lol value village isn't worth it.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12405 posts
1876 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Gammatron wrote:
Nov 1st, 2015 3:07 pm
You people dont get it do you? My GF tells me the same thing.... why buy a shirt for $7.99 at Value Village when I can buy it for the same price brand new at WalMart.

Let me see. The shirt at Walmart is a chinese cheap garment that will shrink and discolor after washing... a feeble shirt made with thin cotton.

The shirt at Value Village was dropped there by a rich guy and it originally costed him $75 or more. Its thick cotton and genuine quality. It was worn by a millionaire who is cleaner than I am so what? Vallue Village is the best value.
Good point!
De gustibus non est disputandum
Dec 27, 2012
111 posts
36 upvotes
Bowmanville
I find YMMV with them. I like to go in and look for new/barely used name brand clothes. Got a pair of brand new Gap jeans for under $10 last time I was there. A barely-worn Armani sweater for $3 bucks. I haven't been for a while though (a year), so maybe things have changed.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4094 upvotes
Ottawa
snow00774 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2015 8:43 pm
How about diabetes.CA instead? Details are on their page. Or a local homeless shelter. Garbage is a terrible cop out.
diabetes.ca? Where do you think their clothes go? They have a contract with VV and sell it all to them at 5cents a pound.

Why is it that these 2nd hand clothing stores are the most ambiguous in how they operate? We're here debating what goes where, where donations go, who should we donate to and there's no clear cut answer. It's almost like they want to keep it that way so we can blindly keep giving like idiots.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1612 posts
321 upvotes
A lot of people think Value Village donates "their profits" to charity. But as others have stated their donations are pennies on the dollar per pound of donations.

Someone who donates an Xbox One at 7 pounds... that's 35 cents for charity, and whatever profit on top is theirs... and most likely it would have been delivered to one of their facilities, so minimal transport costs.

Donate to the Salvation Army or Goodwill. Or direct to a shelter or facility. Value Village is for profit.

If you want to feel better, sell your clothes to Plato's Closet and donate the money from that to a cause that you care for. You'll be getting more money most likely than Value Village will be "donating" on your behalf.