Shopping Discussion

When you take the "value" out of Value Village...

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2015 2:05 am
Tags:
None
Mar 15, 2010
50 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Your right. Just got frustrated. I didn't think of the out of country donations at the moment. Those would help a lot. It was easy to just take it to value village as I like to buy baby clothes there.
Mar 28, 2008
368 posts
189 upvotes
A lot of people mistakenly think Value Village is a charity. It is in fact a for-profit company based in the US.

Salvation Army and Goodwill are non-profit, and they will always get my donation.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16602 posts
4288 upvotes
Toronto
ngold wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2015 12:00 pm
A lot of people mistakenly think Value Village is a charity. It is in fact a for-profit company based in the US.

Salvation Army and Goodwill are non-profit, and they will always get my donation.
Some of the biggest scams have involved Salvation Army and Goodwill.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1611 posts
321 upvotes
carmaster wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2015 12:08 pm
Some of the biggest scams have involved Salvation Army and Goodwill.
such as...

you can't just make a statement without providing some evidence backing your claim.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
6980 posts
552 upvotes
Toronto
Still worth it to get the ring around the collar and underarm stains free with purchase.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16602 posts
4288 upvotes
Toronto
mathewvc wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2015 12:23 pm
such as...

you can't just make a statement without providing some evidence backing your claim.
Google
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1611 posts
321 upvotes
carmaster wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2015 12:34 pm
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-hrab ... 76905.html

A ton of cases like the above
i wouldn't call that the biggest scam ever, considering most US companies take advantage of their employees. the same way servers make $2 an hour and rely on tips. that's the american corporate system. not saying its acceptable, but i wouldn't refer to it as the biggest scam ever.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16602 posts
4288 upvotes
Toronto
mathewvc wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2015 12:53 pm
i wouldn't call that the biggest scam ever, considering most US companies take advantage of their employees. the same way servers make $2 an hour and rely on tips. that's the american corporate system. not saying its acceptable, but i wouldn't refer to it as the biggest scam ever.
For a "non-profit" this is pretty big vs. other US companies where are for profit. You can't compare against other US companies.
Mar 28, 2008
368 posts
189 upvotes
scandal vs. scam

I would call those scandals, but Value Village is just scam.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1611 posts
321 upvotes
carmaster wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2015 12:58 pm
For a "non-profit" this is pretty big vs. other US companies where are for profit. You can't compare against other US companies.
a "non-profit" doesn't mean that they can't make money... it just means that their profits are distributed differently.

"A nonprofit organization (NPO, also known as a non-business entity) is an organization that uses its surplus revenues to further achieve its purpose or mission, rather than distributing its surplus income to the organization's shareholders (or equivalents) as profit or dividends."
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
21595 posts
7510 upvotes
Cas77 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2015 9:23 am
diabetes.ca? Where do you think their clothes go? They have a contract with VV and sell it all to them at 5cents a pound.
This is at least somewhat acceptable. I mean someone has to have a storefront.
But to donate the same shirt directly means that VV pays $0.00 for it. At least at $0.05/lb a real charity is getting some money.

Why is it that these 2nd hand clothing stores are the most ambiguous in how they operate? We're here debating what goes where, where donations go, who should we donate to and there's no clear cut answer. It's almost like they want to keep it that way so we can blindly keep giving like idiots.
You literally answered your own question.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1758 posts
565 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Consumers are just dumb and don't do their research before they impulse buy....such a consumerist society.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4094 upvotes
Ottawa
death_hawk wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2015 2:43 pm
This is at least somewhat acceptable. I mean someone has to have a storefront.
But to donate the same shirt directly means that VV pays $0.00 for it. At least at $0.05/lb a real charity is getting some money.
The problem being old, ripped non-sell-able t-shirts sell for about that to rag makers. The whole Clothesline program is incredibly flawed and if you dig a little deeper under the surface it looks like 12 year olds run it. Something is definitely fishy there, so much so that as a diabetic and long time donor to Clothesline they don't see anything from me.
death_hawk wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2015 2:43 pm
You literally answered your own question.
This was more of a rhetoric than anything else.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain