Shopping Discussion

When you take the "value" out of Value Village...

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2015 2:05 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1451 posts
454 upvotes
Winnipeg
chadurban wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2015 8:26 pm
Salvation Army will give you a $10 off of $25 or more worth of purchases coupon with every donation. Donate there.
Try donating to your local mission.
Lorenzo
Sep 13, 2015
372 posts
176 upvotes
makaturing wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2015 3:02 am
Next time you go into hospital for life saving emergency surgery, remember you're going to be lying on sheets that have been covered in "all sorts of body fluids" and insist on brand new ones, rather than ones from the hospital laundry. :razz:
Surgery rooms are as clean as it gets. :D
Let's Go Buffalo
Jan 21, 2013
292 posts
38 upvotes
i stopped donating to VV...their prices are insane now, i take my clothes to a thrift store & get credit to use anytime.

agree about ...if you think they charge too much $$, then STOP SHOPPING THERE!
Mar 28, 2008
368 posts
189 upvotes
makaturing wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2015 3:02 am
Next time you go into hospital for life saving emergency surgery, remember you're going to be lying on sheets that have been covered in "all sorts of body fluids" and insist on brand new ones, rather than ones from the hospital laundry. :razz:
Going to a hospital would be an unfortunate necessity.

Going to Value Village is unfortunately not a necessity.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4094 upvotes
Ottawa
JackWhyte wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2015 7:32 am
and everything you drop off at the front door? 100% to value village.
Worse is usually they won't even help you take it out of your car. It's one BIG F U and people drive out of there all smiley thinking they just did a good deed and earned level 100 karma. Why is the average human being too dumb and lazy to edumacate themselves so all these scammers would be out of business?

Whoever said they drop off their garbage there is one smart man/woman.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5955 posts
1949 upvotes
You must admit the guy who came up with the concept of Value Village is a genius - it's the perfect business model i.e. one group donates the merchandise you sell to another group.... you donate tiny percentage to charity and get to advertise that a percentage of proceeds goes to charity and the general public are none the wiser...and pocket the profit (while paying your employees minimum wage).
IMHO it borders on fraud.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4094 upvotes
Ottawa
plymouthhater wrote:
Nov 4th, 2015 10:41 am
You must admit the guy who came up with the concept of Value Village is a genius - it's the perfect business model i.e. one group donates the merchandise you sell to another group.... you donate tiny percentage to charity and get to advertise that a percentage of proceeds goes to charity and the general public are none the wiser...and pocket the profit (while paying your employees minimum wage).
IMHO it borders on fraud.
I don't think it's anywhere near fraud. There's no high pressure sales tactics...if I put a sign in front of my house to please donate items and place them in front of my garage am I committing fraud?

Just because society if full of gullible idiots does not mean they're being defrauded.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Banned
Oct 29, 2015
190 posts
62 upvotes
None
Cas77 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2015 11:10 am
I don't think it's anywhere near fraud. There's no high pressure sales tactics...if I put a sign in front of my house to please donate items and place them in front of my garage am I committing fraud?

Just because society if full of gullible idiots does not mean they're being defrauded.
If you mislead people into believing ( either directly or indirectly ) that a large portion of what you do goes towards charity, when only a tiny percentage actually does. Plus if you get tax breaks from the gov. for running a so called charity, when its actually a big business & nowhere close to a charity, its fraud.

People can donate whatever they want to you and you can sell it at whatever you want, its not fraud. But if you mislead people into believing its a charity and get tax breaks from the gov, while you are selling crap from your lawn, that's where things get tricky.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12402 posts
1869 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I bought an aluminum baseball bat from Value Village for under $10. The prices for bats at Sport Chek are craaaaazy, so I guess that was a good VV deal.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1688 posts
402 upvotes
Toronto
rfdcanucks wrote:
Nov 4th, 2015 11:25 am
If you mislead people into believing ( either directly or indirectly ) that a large portion of what you do goes towards charity, when only a tiny percentage actually does. Plus if you get tax breaks from the gov. for running a so called charity, when its actually a big business & nowhere close to a charity, its fraud.

People can donate whatever they want to you and you can sell it at whatever you want, its not fraud. But if you mislead people into believing its a charity and get tax breaks from the gov, while you are selling crap from your lawn, that's where things get tricky.
I totally agree with this. I have always been under the impression that this was a charity and donate tons of stuff there but their prices are absolutely outrageous
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
15498 posts
2472 upvotes
Toronto
The realities of Value Village are scary. I need to stop donating there.

Side Note: Someone rear ended my car the last time I was at one and tried to drive away! A little nutty on the horn, refused to give insurance and $803 later (paid by him), I got a new bumper!
But ... I have a sour taste in my mouth these days :razz:
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
15498 posts
2472 upvotes
Toronto
JackWhyte wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2015 7:32 am
20%? :lol:

more like "less than 1%". do you know all these diabetics/clothesline/etc. guys who call you up for clothes and household items? well, they send all that to value village, who pays them a nominal rate by the pound. charities get nothing based on sales, just weight, and I'd be surprised of they even get 1% of the overall revenues of value village.

and everything you drop off at the front door? 100% to value village.

so when value village raises prices, they are making more money, *not* the charities. they already got their cut "by the pound".
This was a big problem I was having in the GTA when I was looking for places to drop off clothes. The Diabetes Association (who I like) ends up donating all of it to Value Village anyways! So do many others!
How does the Clothesline program receive funding from Value Village?
The Clothesline program is responsible for soliciting, picking-up and delivering goods to Value Village stores. The program is paid for the volume of goods delivered. Value Village operates the retail store.

- See more at: http://www.diabetes.ca/how-you-can-help ... 5VIqQ.dpuf

So, what are the GOOD ONES for clothes and STUFF in the GTA???
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4015 posts
637 upvotes
Richmond
instead of donating to value village, my aunt donated the brand new/slightly worn children's clothing to us when my cousins finished with them. And then when we were done with them we donated some of it to my aunt's niece and some of it to my mom's friend's relatives kids over in denmark. Instead of donating to VV, check if your relatives or neighbours could use the clothing. we just use VV as our garbage can when we want to get rid of junk lol.