Food & Drink

When you're too broke to buy a new rice cooker...

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2004 7:31 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6009 posts
436 upvotes
BC
eelfliw wrote:LOL! I thought you cooked it in a regular pot on hot stove.

In any case, may want to experiment cooking rice in a regular pot. The bottom layer is almost always burnt and it has a nice but different flavour. This is sometimes used in other dishes too.
you might need to turn it down even lower (if possible) i turn mine down to the very lowest temp, min, and i've never had the bottom burn. and i always use my simmer burner, maybe that helps too?
That's my 2cents worth
Jun 20, 2004
893 posts
16 upvotes
wasn't there a rice cooker at walmart for $10 a while ago?

or the dollar store microwave plastic one.. heard to works fine...and can make congee too.

man i have u have house insurance....or do they cover fire damage by faulty rice cooker?
Dec 3, 2001
99 posts
7 upvotes
Check the dollar stores for a new cord. My local one carries several types of power cords with different plugs.
Jan 24, 2004
400 posts
darth wolf wrote:wasn't there a rice cooker at walmart for $10 a while ago?

or the dollar store microwave plastic one.. heard to works fine...and can make congee too.

man i have u have house insurance....or do they cover fire damage by faulty rice cooker?
:lol: I doubt the insurance will cover non-standard electrical work though... I don't know about you but paper isn't the best way to insulate a plug..
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1358 posts
120 upvotes
Edmonton
Somebody in TO give this poor guy their old rice cooker!

Should try using the microwave. works like charm.