• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2006 10:49 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 26, 2006
1 posts

Where to Advertise your Cars for Sale

Hey Guys,

Just wondering where do you all advertise when you want you sell your car? And how are your experiences with it?

When I was selling my 91 Corolla, I put a For Sale window sticker in my car, I placed an ad in Autotrader.ca, and I placed a ad in the Journal classifieds.

Results: Newspaper - darn expensive, no calls. Perhaps my ad was too small? For Sale stickers - I didn't drive too many places so I don't think I got calls.
Autotrader - really worked well, I got a couple calls and it's sold now.

How about you guys?
3 replies
Apr 6, 2006
181 posts
17 upvotes
When I was selling my '93 Honda Prelude a couple years ago, I didn't want to spend any money advertising it (I was selling it to put a down payment on a condo and I was saving everything I could). So I:

- Put a sign in the window
- advertised on a few free web classifieds (craigslist, Discover Vancouver, and some others)
- Placed a classified in our local community newsletter (free)
- posted it on my work online bulletin

What did I get from all that? Some genuine calls from interested people (not too many) and lots and lots of scammy emails ("I live in Taiwan, I'll wire you the money so give me your account numbers and drop the car off at a contact").

So after a month or so of that, I finally placed a weekend classified in the Vancouver Sun and the Province. I placed the ad on the Friday and someone called early Saturday, came and looked at it, test drove it, asked the appropriate questions and everything. The car was sold by lunch time.

I called to cancel the rest of the classified run right away and they knocked off like 15% or something like that.

Yeah, it was expensive to place the newspaper classified but if I had known how quick it would have sold I would have gone that route right away.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)