Students

Where are the best combined degree PhD in Science + smth else

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2014 1:02 pm
Tags:
Jan 30, 2010
38 posts

Where are the best combined degree PhD in Science + smth else

I finished my Master in Medicine (Biochem) last year and now I'm about to start my PhD in Molecular Biology. Before I apply to schools for a PhD, I'm interested in knowing people's opinion about the best combined degrees out there in Canada or in the US (I'm bilingual Korean/English and could consider Korea as well.. though it isn't on the top of my list). I have a good academic record and can afford to go anywhere, so really the school doesn't matter, I'm interested in the type of education/career I can get out of it.

I've looked at JD/PhD programs though since my PhD will be in science, it seems they only accept PhD students in law-related major. I'm interested in Business, Law, though NOT medicine, so forget about MD/PhD, that isn't for me. Can anyone recommend me a school that according to you offers good combined degree for PhD candidates in science.

I'm thinking mainly of
- MBA / PhD
- JD / PhD

Any other suggestions are welcome :cheesygri
6 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
2492 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
i would say you're wasting your time with a PhD, you sound like you're going to school for the letters after your name rather than a specific purpose

for all intents and purposes an MSc is enough "proof" that you have knowledge in that field to combine with the MBA or JD, or you can do JD/MBA

since the phD is ultimately going to be only complementary to what you're going to actually do (business or law), it's not worth the 4 years of lost income
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
2052 posts
409 upvotes
GTA
medalgo wrote: i would say you're wasting your time with a PhD, you sound like you're going to school for the letters after your name rather than a specific purpose

for all intents and purposes an MSc is enough "proof" that you have knowledge in that field to combine with the MBA or JD, or you can do JD/MBA

since the phD is ultimately going to be only complementary to what you're going to actually do (business or law), it's not worth the 4 years of lost income
maybe OP wants to become a professor
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
2492 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
imflying12 wrote: maybe OP wants to become a professor
yes, common sense tells you that people who want a JD or MBA wants to be a professor.....
Mar 11, 2012
338 posts
51 upvotes
I've done both business and law degrees.

I've been through a few finance interviews and recruiting a few years back and it seems that banks do like applicants with advanced degrees, usually in maths and engineering, for quants positions. I'm not in the field so my knowledge is very limited.

However, I am in the legal field. I've gone through the big law recruitment and IP firms require a science background. Typically, a PhD in Science would be a plus for someone looking to be a patent lawyer with a IP firm, as clients require you to understand what they are trying to patent. Note that several of my friends with just a Bachelors in Science or Engineering have secured positions in prominent Canadian IP law firms. Also, I suppose that someone with a PhD in Science would be valued as in-house counsel for large pharmaceutical corporations, but this is just me guessing. Lastly, I have networked with a fair number of non-IP partners (from big and mid size firms) that say that they do NOT place weight on advanced degrees, unless you are in their IP department. I do feel that law firms do not look at advanced degrees, including a LLM, favourably. If you are interested in law, I'd say forgo the PhD and go finish a JD ASAP. Your science based Masters alone would open the IP law doors for you.
Jan 30, 2010
38 posts
medalgo wrote: yes, common sense tells you that people who want a JD or MBA wants to be a professor.....
Yes, I intend to be professor. Some of our PI have their own companies on the side of being a professor, and, as I have a business running since I started my undergrad., I wish to stay on the same path. My business does both legal (Intellectual Property) and business supporting activities, without going too much in details. PhD isn't only a 3 letters thing to put right next to my name, I have a project going on and a clear goal, it really comes from the top of my heart for me to fight for what I've been doing for a few years. Since I'm specialized in a field where only few succeeded and published, my academic resume impresses a lot and it is already set that I will have a good faculty position.

Now I'm only asking people's opinion about which school offers the best combined degree, nothing else! If you have an opinion about anything else but what is stated in the question, feel free to leave this page.

Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
2492 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
madkitty wrote: Yes, I intend to be professor. Some of our PI have their own companies on the side of being a professor, and, as I have a business running since I started my undergrad., I wish to stay on the same path. My business does both legal (Intellectual Property) and business supporting activities, without going too much in details. PhD isn't only a 3 letters thing to put right next to my name, I have a project going on and a clear goal, it really comes from the top of my heart for me to fight for what I've been doing for a few years. Since I'm specialized in a field where only few succeeded and published, my academic resume impresses a lot and it is already set that I will have a good faculty position.

Now I'm only asking people's opinion about which school offers the best combined degree, nothing else! If you have an opinion about anything else but what is stated in the question, feel free to leave this page.

http://www.gsas.harvard.edu/prospective ... rogram.php :lol:

good luck