Home & Garden

Where is the best place to buy washer and dryer these days?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2012 8:53 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes

My washer smokes today (as the motor producing smoke). My dryer has issues all along.

I have not needed to do the 'research' for 16 years. I am clueless at the moment.

Future shop? Best Buy? Home Depot? Lowe's? Smaller stores?

Any brand/model suggestion. I am using Magtag but I don't think they are as good as they used to be.

Thanks.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
12 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15131 posts
1580 upvotes
Comparison shop - But Sears, West Coast Appliance, Tasco, Quans, etc. Futureshop is OK when on sale, but I've had horrible experience with their delivery people. Home Depot/Lowes seem expensive, but perhaps you'll catch a sale. LG, Whirpool, Samsung, are pretty good brands these days. Maytag is owned by Whirlpool. On the higher end, Miele is good - in house warranty service too.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
coolspot wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2011 11:53 am
Comparison shop - But Sears, West Coast Appliance, Tasco, Quans, etc. Futureshop is OK when on sale, but I've had horrible experience with their delivery people. Home Depot/Lowes seem expensive, but perhaps you'll catch a sale. LG, Whirpool, Samsung, are pretty good brands these days. Maytag is owned by Whirlpool. On the higher end, Miele is good - in house warranty service too.

Thank. How about Inglis?

This is so far I found in Lowe's. Any comment on these packages is appreciated. Thanks.

Inglis
4.0 Cu. Ft. Super Capacity Plus Front-Load Washer & 6.7 Cu. Ft. Capacity Electric Dryer
save $300 pair, SPECIAL VALUE!
now $896
pair price

PRODUCT INFORMATION
4.0 Cu. Ft. Super Capacity Plus Front-Load Washer
• Sensing automatic temperature control
• Auto fill water level
• 1,100 RPM maximum spin speed

6.7 Cu. Ft. Capacity Electric Dryer
• Adjustable degree of dryness with sensor dry
• Electronic controls with cycle indicator lights
• Wrinkle release cycle & wrinkle prevent option

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LG
4.0 Cu. Ft. Extra-Large Capacity Washer & 7.1 Cu. Ft. Extra-Large Load Capacity Drum
save $200 pair, SPECIAL VALUE!
now $1196
pair price

( was $1396)
Offer valid thru Jan 26

PRODUCT INFORMATION
4.0 Cu. Ft. Extra-Large Capacity Washer
• 6Motion™ technology
• DirectDrive motor for the ultimate in durability
• TrueBalance™ anti-vibration system

7.1 Cu. Ft. Extra-Large Load Capacity Drum
• Wrinkle care cycle
• LoDecibel ™ quiet system
• Sensor dry system for intelligent fabric care
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1186 posts
95 upvotes
Red Deer
If you can avoid big box stores to buy appliances I would , main reason is warranty or machine breakdown issues. We had bought a washer/drier from Sears a few years back they were the top of the line machine at the time.
Last year the washing machine quit during the cycle we couldn't open the door to take the wet laundry out , so I called sears and they said a repair man could not get to it for at least 2 weeks. so here we are machine won't open laundry is in the machine and starting to get stinky and mouldy. I called a local mom pop store and they told me what to do, there was a manual underneath the machine with all the codes on there and that would tell you how to unlock the door.

So as far as warranty/ issues I would buy from mom/pop store as they can get to your service call a lot quicker instead of first calling to India or Philipenes to make arragement for a service tech to come out.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12869 posts
574 upvotes
We bought our washer and drier from the Brick (yes, the brick) and purchased a 5 year warranty as well. Since we have very specific requirements (22 inch stairwell down to the basement), there were only two models available of any brand that could fit down the stairs. The brick was the cheapest.

As for service, our dryer broke less than a month before the end of the 5 year warranty (it was a Maytag if it matters). They sent a service person (contracted out) who was there in 48 hours. Motor was damaged so it was easier to get the entire dryer replaced. Since the way they work is credit, we ended up with a new drier and paid only partial price for the new 5 year warranty.
Mar 30, 2004
914 posts
8 upvotes
Newmarket
I found appliance Canada to be a decent store with good prices and free delivery( even on the $300 dishwasher I bought once)
prices there can be haggled, they seem to give an extra discount if you are, or are related to a York region police officer :)
We have enough youth.. what we need is a fountain of smart
Feb 4, 2011
7 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Samsung and LG washer dryers are some of the best quality/price. You can always find a great deals on them at any time of the year. Message me if you need any info or special pricing. ;)
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2005
4966 posts
517 upvotes
Mississauga
gman wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2011 11:45 am
My washer smokes today (as the motor producing smoke). My dryer has issues all along.

I have not needed to do the 'research' for 16 years. I am clueless at the moment.

Future shop? Best Buy? Home Depot? Lowe's? Smaller stores?

Any brand/model suggestion. I am using Magtag but I don't think they are as good as they used to be.

Thanks.

When i purchased my house it came with 5 low end appliances and we upgraded to Maytag. It has been 8 years and only had 2 issues. 1st the icemaker stopped working in the 2nd year it was replaced under warranty. 2nd the dryer started making a scraping noise when the drum was turning so i took it apart and the screws that hold the arms inside the drum were coming loose and rubbing on the case, i tightened all the screws still working good.
A friend of mine sells appliances at Lowes.

They offer.

Everyday Low Prices Guaranteed*
You never have to wait for a sale at Lowe's because we always price our products as competitively as possible. When you choose to shop at Lowe's, you can have peace of mind knowing you're getting honest value for your money.

We strive to offer you low prices every time you shop. We call these Everyday Low Prices*. Guaranteed. It's not a sale; it's a great price you can count on every day. If you happen to find a lower price on an identical stock item at any area retail competitor, and provide confirmation of that price, we'll match it and beat their price by an additional 10%.
Oct 4, 2010
53 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I bought new washer dryer at lowes this past boxing day. Paid $75 for delivery install and removal of old units. My sister got hers from sears and paid $40 for delivery and disposal. Hers got deliver a week before mine and when the guys from sears showed up, they said they have to unplug the unit themselves as $40 only cover disposal not unplug... So they left the new units in the garage and she has to reshedule a different day for them to come back... I was pretty surprised when I got mine the folks from lowes does everything and even brought a free aluminum pipe to install the dryer, level the machine and a short demo.. The experience was very good i think I would go back to lowes when I redo my kitchen. I bought LG.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
3568 posts
31 upvotes
I bought ours at HD 4 years ago, brought in a flyer from FS and they beat the price and gave me free shipping.
shaka braddah!
Mar 19, 2012
1 posts
DELTA
I bought a washer and dryer set. Very upset because the dryer does not work upon delivery. The delivery drivers did not want to take it back after installation, and said that a technician will come out to fix it. But I would have to wait for a day or two. So i just spent a thousand dollars on a dryer that doesn't work? I didn't even get one apology from anyone at Trail. The salesman said he couldn't do anything about it because it's now the service department's problem. The service department says it's fully booked so I am out of luck now.

I will have nothing good to say about this place right now. :mad:
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
11388 posts
2083 upvotes
Toronto
I bought a dishwasher from canadian aplliance recently. The model I purchased was on sale, $500. I did a pick up, so saved on delivery. The next cheapest place was home depot at $600 for the exact same unit. Interestingly, this was the price on the web but their store price was $750. Sears was selling for $700. I had bad experience buying a sofa from the brick and so I would not buy anything from them even if they were the lowest price.

http://www.canadianappliance.ca/
× < >