• Jun 20th, 2016 7:22 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 26, 2015
881 posts
736 upvotes
Manitoba

Where to book car rentals?

Looking to book a rental for next month.

I've been monitoring Costcotravel and I'm getting on average $350 for the 4 days I need the car in toronto (picking up at pearson int'l)

I just don't know if there are any other websites I should be checking out for better rates
14 replies
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
893 upvotes
wow..thats crazy..long weekend??what type of car...you can also bid on priceline for car rentals
Dec 26, 2015
881 posts
736 upvotes
Manitoba
Fjr2005 wrote: wow..thats crazy..long weekend??what type of car...you can also bid on priceline for car rentals
I'll check out priceline.

Yeah its not even a long weekend. Its arrive on a thursday morning, leave monday afternoon. 4 days total. I thought it was expensive too, but I've also never done a car rental before
Apr 21, 2011
192 posts
42 upvotes
thornhill
Veeshmack wrote: I'll check out priceline.

Yeah its not even a long weekend. Its arrive on a thursday morning, leave monday afternoon. 4 days total. I thought it was expensive too, but I've also never done a car rental before
Book the cheapest reservation you can find to secure something just in case, when you get closer to the date you are travelling look again usually prices drop, if you are able to find something cheaper cancel the original one. I do this all the time, never failed on me.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6759 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
My experience is that, just like air fares and nexus interview appointment times, you have you keep looking.

We spent February in Fort Lauderdale. We were going to drive unless we could find a reasonable car rental for the month. For a few weeks, the rate was between $650 US to over $1,000 US. Then one day (through Hotwire), I found a deal for $294US for the month at Thrifty but it was off-airport. I jumped on it but kept looking in case I'd find similar or better deals at the airport. I never saw another deal that approached that price.

Uber cost me about $25US each way to pick up and drop off the car.
Phils
May 18, 2008
102 posts
35 upvotes
Halifax
I've used the Westjet website the last couple of times I booked a car. They use some kind of consolidated search. I used it for Canadian bookings, and got better rates than I did on a search that included Costco and my preferred providers.

We had a 5 day rental in Ottawa in April Wed-Sun (booked through Westjet) and I got a much cheaper rate with a weekend rate and a separate one-day booking. When I got to the desk we asked if we could consolidate the two res'ns so we wouldn't have to do the paper work again, and the agent was more than happy to do it. YMMV. But the difference between a weekend rate and a regular rate can be significant.
Apr 15, 2005
234 posts
29 upvotes
Ajax
I usually start with Expedia or Travelocity so I can quickly see where the cheapest 2-3 companies are and then book directly through the company website using special promo codes I find either on mousesavers.com or rentalcodes.com. I then keep checking back at those 2-3 companies and rebook if I a cheaper rate closer to my travel date.
Deal Fanatic
May 8, 2002
5863 posts
2612 upvotes
Do any of you guys use autoslash? Or do you have better results by booking directly with the company using a promo code?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2013
1274 posts
410 upvotes
Veeshmack wrote: I'll check out priceline.

Pick ups at airports are the most expensive. Also, Thursday AM to Monday PM is considered a 5-day rental.
Jan 16, 2009
240 posts
9 upvotes
Use Hotwire.
Book your car off site as Pearson rentals are way high. A short cab ride can save you a pile.
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
893 upvotes
frenchtoast wrote: Book the cheapest reservation you can find to secure something just in case, when you get closer to the date you are travelling look again usually prices drop, if you are able to find something cheaper cancel the original one. I do this all the time, never failed on me.
good advice..i do this for cars and hotels often
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
2174 posts
547 upvotes
St. Johns
I rarely find anything beats costco rates. Could just be where I tend to rent cars but nothing has even come close to the price I receive. I'm also constantly checking sites to ensure I have the best deal and will switch if necessary.
Jul 15, 2003
705 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver
I used to find that booking through the RBC Avion card was a good deal but now it's only the Costco website I find good deals. I booked a car for a week using the Costco website which came out to less after tax than anywhere else before tax.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
2379 posts
504 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

If you're picking up the car at the airport, try picking a later time than your scheduled arrival time. You might save yourself some money by picking up your car during a lull in flight arrivals. Don't get pressured into getting a larger car than the 1 you booked because they don't have any more of the model you picked. If you say "NO" often enough, you will get a free upgrade because they actually don't have any more of the model you picked.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
3586 posts
1993 upvotes
Whitehorse
As you are not an experienced renter, use autoslash.com. They will monitor prices and rebook you if they find something cheaper.