Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 10, 2006
975 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto

Where To Bring In Bell Fiber Into Home?

Bell is coming to put fiber into our home. I’ve seen homes in the area with wires running along the exterior side of the home and then brought in to a hole drilled in from the side. It looks like an eyesore to me.

Is this just the standard way this is brought in or is there a cleaner way this can be done without exposed wires?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
3693 posts
532 upvotes
We brought ours into the garage then into the basement
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2335 posts
328 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
If you have a chance to watch over them during install I highly recommend it. I am an electrician and used to do a lot of repair work as a result of those technicians. They don't check both sides of the wall before drilling in to your home. I've replaced entire breaker panels that were drilled straight through, too many wires to count for various house circuits and even service masts drilled through.

I can guarantee they will do a bad and ugly job. They are only concerned with speed and 100% of the time they take the path of least resistance. It always looks horrible and amateur.
Nov 30, 2015
233 posts
94 upvotes
GTA, ON
I find that some technicians are reasonable and flexible and may be willing to meet your requirements if you are willing to offer help and if access for the cable run is not too restricted like a finished basement. The norm is to run the wiring/fiber cable outside along the wall. And that's true for both Bell and Rogers. And it's ugly.

My basement is unfinished and I wanted the fiber cable to follow the same path as the original copper wire. I offered to help pull out the old wiring and to pull the new one through from the back of the house all the way to the electrical panel area in the basement near the front of the house. I also helped pulled the ethernet cable from the panel to router at the other side of the house through the unfinished basement ceiling.

So it can be done if you are lucky to get technician that's flexible and if you are willing to do some of the extra work involved. My neighbour got their installation done a month ago and was able to do what I did.

I realize there is the argument that we are paying for the installation and there is no way in hell we should lift a finger to help. That's fine if you choose to go down that path. I respect that view. I wanted the install done my way and was willing to compromise to get the desired solution.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2006
975 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
We are thinking of burying the line through the ground and bringing it to the side of our home before coming out off the ground and into the house. Seems like that's the least visible option.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4163 posts
760 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ChicoQuente wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 8:25 pm
If you have a chance to watch over them during install I highly recommend it. I am an electrician and used to do a lot of repair work as a result of those technicians. They don't check both sides of the wall before drilling in to your home. I've replaced entire breaker panels that were drilled straight through, too many wires to count for various house circuits and even service masts drilled through.

I can guarantee they will do a bad and ugly job. They are only concerned with speed and 100% of the time they take the path of least resistance. It always looks horrible and amateur.
Like this guy

Source
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1370 posts
636 upvotes
Toronto
nwwong wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 10:57 pm
We are thinking of burying the line through the ground and bringing it to the side of our home before coming out off the ground and into the house. Seems like that's the least visible option.
Bell isn't going to bury their line for you. It's their problem to maintain to the demacation point inside your home.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2335 posts
328 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
nwwong wrote:
I don't think the wire they bring for this part of the install will even be rated for burial. Unless you run it yourself ahead of time and get burial rated fibre I don't think you'll be getting it buried.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5340 posts
5221 upvotes
Toronto
If they bring it into the basement, ask the tech to leave as much of the coil of fiber cable as possible. I think they come in 100M segments and they just run from your on-pole fiber nipple block, to your house, cut off and throw out the end.

No signal degradation in house and if you have the coil, you can easily reposition the router in the future as needed.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1072 posts
330 upvotes
If your meter on the the garage side of your house, then they will end up running the wire along the house until the point behind the garage. You can install your own conduit if you dont like it, and have them run into it.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2194 posts
190 upvotes
North York
ChicoQuente wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 7:01 am
I don't think the wire they bring for this part of the install will even be rated for burial.
I watched them wire up our section of the street, aecon installed trunked colour coded conduit in the boulevard with it splitting out to individual colours conduit that went 2-3' beyond the sidewalk towards at each house, from there the fibre was direct buried by hand just under the grass with a shovel without conduit - with the extra left coiled at hydro meter, the same shitty install rogers does with their cable. So it would most definitely be rated burial.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2194 posts
190 upvotes
North York
nwwong wrote:
+1, do this before the appointment, I bet the tech won't care

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)