Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2006
1186 posts
101 upvotes

Where to Buy 1.5" Thick MDF?

I'm looking to put together a simple rack for my stereo gear and was looking to use 1.5" thick MDF for shelves - do the big box retailers like Home Depot carry MDF this thick or do I need to go to a specialty shop? Anyone know where I can source it from in GTA? Thanks!
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1073 upvotes
Mississauga
I don't believe the big box stores carry any sheets of wood in 1.5" unless it's 2x4" or 6" etc. in other words boards. Normally if you want it that thick you would glue two pieces of 3/4" sheets. Any reason why you want it that thick?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
3768 posts
1110 upvotes
Ottawa
I laminated 3 x 1/2" sheets together to form 1.5" for a router table top. At only 3' x 2' it's surprisingly heavy.

If you really want this thickness and solid mass is not one of your goals you may wish to consider a torsion box design using a 1/4" skin.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2008
1607 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
you could also go to a hardwood if you want more strength.

at 1.5" deep the mdf is gonna be preety heavy.
Oct 18, 2006
256 posts
42 upvotes
North York
You can use 3/4" MDF and reinforce the front of the shelf with poplar or oak strip (1x2) and get very good support without sagging. What's the length of the shelf?
Nov 13, 2007
269 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
They sell stair treads that are made with MDF at HD. They aren't 1.5 inches thick but pretty close.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7383 posts
634 upvotes
Toronto
If this is to become an isolation platform type application, use 2 sheets of 3/4 inch and put them together with Green Glue. Green Glue is a sound proofing product, but this is an interesting alternate application:

Green Glue Noiseproofing Compound has a unique polymeric formula that converts the mechanical energy from sound waves into small amounts of heat. When the compound is sandwiched between two rigid layers of material (like drywall), it forms a damping system. So, when sound waves pass through the structure, the energy is dissipated in the form of heat.

The Green Glue never "dries"....it just forms a substance between your two sheets of MDF that will absorb and dissipate mechanical energy, which is EXACTLY what you want in a dampening platform.