Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12575 upvotes
Markham

where to buy 200 dollar visa/mc prepaid card

I went to superstore and they only have 100 dollar card. where I can find 200 dollar one(visa/MC is) or is there any better prepaid product? just want to give as gift,so except activation fee.don't want other any fee.

Thanks
17 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I think you can get $200 or $250 ones at Shoppers Drug Mart.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12575 upvotes
Markham
Jucius Maximus wrote: I think you can get $200 or $250 ones at Shoppers Drug Mart.
Thanks first and check later

Btw.no expiration for this kind of prepaid visa,right? Do I have to pay inactive fee if I don't use it for long time?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
There are many brands and types of prepaid credit cards.
Yes, it is normal to have an inactivity fee if you don't use it for a while.
- casual gastronomist -
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
I always thought prepaid credit cards designated as a "gift" card, had no inactivity fee, while regular prepaid cards do?
Can you believe it? They sent my income tax return forms back to me! In response to question # 4, "Do you have any dependants?" I replied - "2.1 million illegal immigrants, 1.1 million crack heads, 4.4 million unemployable people, 901 thousand people in over 85 prisons, and 650 idiots in Parliament.
Apparently, this was NOT an acceptable answer.

Who the hell did I miss? :razz:
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3075 posts
7283 upvotes
smartie wrote: I went to superstore and they only have 100 dollar card. where I can find 200 dollar one(visa/MC is) or is there any better prepaid product? just want to give as gift,so except activation fee.don't want other any fee.

Thanks
Entire thread devoted to this subject: prepaid-credit-cards-532830/
Activation fee is a given ... you can find some cards without other fees.
smartie wrote: Thanks first and check later

Btw.no expiration for this kind of prepaid visa,right? Do I have to pay inactive fee if I don't use it for long time?
There is an expiration date just like any credit card. Generally no inactive fee but a monthly fee usually kicks in 7-12 months after activation.
Aug 31, 2012
111 posts
25 upvotes
I recommend you spare whoever you are planning on giving these cards to. Just give cash (free), write a cheque (free), send money over paypal (free), or use an interac e-transfer (~$1.50). Prepaid stored value cards are a nightmare in every context, including to receive as a gift. Even the cheapest ones have a multi-dollar activation fee for amounts as large as $100 or $200, which can only be characterised as a rip off. Plus, by giving one of these cards, you are also preventing the recipient from getting whatever benefits they get on their credit card for purchases, including 1-2% cash back as well as various benefits such as purchase assurance.

I realise this is off topic since the thread did not ask for advice on the wisdom of giving one of these cards as as gift. However, I implore you to re-consider. Even if the proposed recipient is a minor who could not get a credit card, they are better off getting Visa Debit, which is freely available for minors and students. Your recipient will thank you for not giving them a prepaid stored value card.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3075 posts
7283 upvotes
sciencegirl wrote: Even if the proposed recipient is a minor who could not get a credit card, they are better off getting Visa Debit, which is freely available for minors and students. Your recipient will thank you for not giving them a prepaid stored value card.
You can't get a Visa Debit card on behalf of someone else in Canada (whereas you can in the US because all prepaid cards are called Visa Debit Cards).
Aug 31, 2012
111 posts
25 upvotes
I wasn't suggesting to get it on behalf of someone else. I was saying that the recipient could use Visa Debit to spend the money that you give them by cash, cheque, paypal, interac e-transfer, or another method.
Jun 22, 2011
113 posts
7 upvotes
sciencegirl wrote: I recommend you spare whoever you are planning on giving these cards to. Just give cash (free), write a cheque (free), send money over paypal (free), or use an interac e-transfer (~$1.50). Prepaid stored value cards are a nightmare in every context, including to receive as a gift. Even the cheapest ones have a multi-dollar activation fee for amounts as large as $100 or $200, which can only be characterised as a rip off. Plus, by giving one of these cards, you are also preventing the recipient from getting whatever benefits they get on their credit card for purchases, including 1-2% cash back as well as various benefits such as purchase assurance.

I realise this is off topic since the thread did not ask for advice on the wisdom of giving one of these cards as as gift. However, I implore you to re-consider. Even if the proposed recipient is a minor who could not get a credit card, they are better off getting Visa Debit, which is freely available for minors and students. Your recipient will thank you for not giving them a prepaid stored value card.
Yes, thank you! These cards are beneficial mostly to the companies issuing them. For recipients, cash or some equivalent is always better.
Bold part: Show-off. Some of us also wanted that one, but were apparently too late.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
OP, did you find your GC? Where did you get it?
- casual gastronomist -
May 29, 2012
743 posts
40 upvotes
MAPLE RIDGE
Vancity offers prepaid Visas. There is a refillable option and a non-refillable one. The latter costs $2. Walk into the bank and ask to order one.
UBC Year 3 BA Student: Major in Mathematics
Unrealistic dream :cry: : Law school...
Goal: Pursue a MA in Economics and a designation- CFA maybe?
Vancouver is nice if you have money and like the rain...
Oct 15, 2012
1 posts
SPRUCE GROVE
Royal Bank sells prepaid Visa in whatever denomination you want to pay up to $500, with a single service charge of $3.95. Non refillable.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2008
1078 posts
324 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
can I purchase a prepaid visa gift card using my credit card anywhere? like shoppers drug mart or walmart? I'll be expensing the purchase at work as it is a promo contest we did internally, and I'd like to collect points on it if possible.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3075 posts
7283 upvotes
l2iceboy wrote: can i purchase a prepaid visa gift card using my credit card anywhere? Like shoppers drug mart or walmart? I'll be expensing the purchase at work as it is a promo contest we did internally, and i'd like to collect points on it if possible.
sdm - ymmv
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
I can confirm RBC can sell you prepaid Visa cards.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2008
1078 posts
324 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
cahk wrote: sdm - ymmv
Thx, I tried one yesterday and they said debit or cash only. I'll try another one or two if I see any on my way.

I don't care about the activation fee since I'm getting this reimbursed through work

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)