Tags:
None
Mar 14, 2007
20 posts
1 upvote
Low, Quebec
frogger wrote:
Jul 12th, 2015 2:05 pm
Thank goodness for one year mat leaves... Now if only organic milk was cheaper.
In Canada all milk is so regulated there is hardly a difference buying organic, the biggest difference is the price. Read into it. I always wonder if formula is made from Canadian milk though, the Canadian milk logo is not on the package.

Oh, and I used Loblaws store brand, bought only when on sale.

And about powdered formula, Quebec is warning new parents against using powdered formula below a certain age because of increased levels of bacteria. If you do the math, which i have a few times to convence myself, it is usually cheaper to buy the liquid concentrate, and easier :)
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13095 posts
632 upvotes
Winkle wrote:
Jul 13th, 2015 9:13 am
Rate is high but absolutely no way it's 99%.
Other than medical reasons, I'd be surprised if it wasn't that high. Too often it is used as the easier option...it isn't done for health reasons.
Dec 5, 2016
65 posts
11 upvotes
Is Costco still the best place to buy the formula powder? My newborn has been drinking the Enfamil A+ ready made formula (not powder) for a few weeks now and it is getting pricey. I'm also hesitant to switch brands since he's been drinking this from since being at the hospital.

So far we have been buying from Walmart. Is there any other places that sell this, or a similar brand of ready made formula, for cheaper?
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13690 posts
4257 upvotes
alucky17 wrote:
Mar 25th, 2017 4:03 pm
Is Costco still the best place to buy the formula powder? My newborn has been drinking the Enfamil A+ ready made formula (not powder) for a few weeks now and it is getting pricey. I'm also hesitant to switch brands since he's been drinking this from since being at the hospital.

So far we have been buying from Walmart. Is there any other places that sell this, or a similar brand of ready made formula, for cheaper?
Our son had the Enfamil straight from the hospital, but we switched to the Costco powder and it was fine. Because he was premature he did not eat much at the beginning, but once his appetite picked up we went to the powder. I think we waited until he was able to finish a single Enfamil before switching.

I would really recommend at least trying, the powder is a lot cheaper and will be needed as your child gets older (imagine paying for your child to have 3 of these at a single meal).

Similac, Enfamil, etc. allow you to sign up for their "clubs" on their website that will send you coupons, and sometimes trial packages at the beginning. This gives you a chance to try out different brands if you want.
Dec 5, 2016
65 posts
11 upvotes
Thanks! I'm essentially in the same situation. He's now been gaining weight so I've been thinking of switching to powder soon. You weren't worried about the bacteria scares from feeding powder too early?
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
3905 posts
972 upvotes
nikkers20 wrote:
Jul 9th, 2015 9:37 am
My doctor said brand doesn't matter, buy the cheapest Iron fortified formula, they are all the same nutrition since they are regulated by Health Canada. Ended up buy Walmart one since Costco one is too big, baby cannot eat that much in 1 months. (all formula says it must be used within 1 month or tossed). Not sure whether to believe this, might be a gimmick to buy more...
Family doctor said the same. Kid grew up fine on walmart and superstore (superstore used to go on sale cheap around $12 I think!)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7195 posts
731 upvotes
GTA
alucky17 wrote:
Mar 25th, 2017 5:29 pm
Thanks! I'm essentially in the same situation. He's now been gaining weight so I've been thinking of switching to powder soon. You weren't worried about the bacteria scares from feeding powder too early?
I didn't use formula, but regarding the issue with bacteria, when my daughter was discharged they told me not to use powder until 2 months past her due date. Ready to feed or concentrate (which is a bit cheaper) are both sterile (unlike powder) and I was told either would be ok if I needed formula.

I had a preemie, so you could check with your own doctor for their recommendations for you. In my case, the hospital told me they recommend no powder for the first two months or until two months after the original due date if the baby was premature.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1175 posts
411 upvotes
Toronto
alucky17 wrote:

Costco has a pack of two Enfamil A+ cans of 765 g each for $59.99.

How old is your baby now?

I used a mix of ready to feeds and formula powder for the first two months and everything's been fine.

When I used powder, I always made it with boiling water hot enough to kill potential bacteria then quickly chilled it to room temperature.
Nov 13, 2013
599 posts
204 upvotes
Unless your baby is premature or immuno-compromised no reason to not use treated city water in formula. If you want to boil and cool in abundance of caution fine. Using pre-mixed cans is crazy expensive. There is a reason they give them away for free; to get you hooked.
Dec 5, 2016
65 posts
11 upvotes
Jenuine wrote:
Mar 30th, 2017 9:44 pm
Costco has a pack of two Enfamil A+ cans of 765 g each for $59.99.

How old is your baby now?

I used a mix of ready to feeds and formula powder for the first two months and everything's been fine.

When I used powder, I always made it with boiling water hot enough to kill potential bacteria then quickly chilled it to room temperature.
Baby is 3 weeks old now. He was borderline premature so we are being cautious but once the doctor gives the go ahead, I definitely want to switch to powder asap. Was there specific times you used the ready mix over the powder?

Also question to all. What is your routine with the powdered formula when you take the baby outside, say for a full day? Do you just pre-boil a days worth of formula to bring with you or try to go to places with access to boiling water?
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13690 posts
4257 upvotes
alucky17 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2017 8:16 am
Also question to all. What is your routine with the powdered formula when you take the baby outside, say for a full day? Do you just pre-boil a days worth of formula to bring with you or try to go to places with access to boiling water?
We boiled the water, let it cool, then put it into bottles. We then took the bottles with us and mixed the powder into it when we needed it.

If you are worried about not having water boiled / ready to go, you could just use bottled water and mix it with the powder when needed. We pre-measure the powder we need and bring it in little containers.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1175 posts
411 upvotes
Toronto
alucky17 wrote:
Baby is 3 weeks old now. He was borderline premature so we are being cautious but once the doctor gives the go ahead, I definitely want to switch to powder asap. Was there specific times you used the ready mix over the powder?

If we weren't able to pre-make bottles with formula (we make 24 hours worth) then we used ready to feeds. Now, we really only use ready to feeds when we go out and don't bring a bottle, or have one in the diaper bag as a back-up in case we stay out longer than we intend to.

Here were my struggles with what to do when we were going out:

Initially, I had a formula dispenser and would pre-measure powder, brought a thermos with pre-boiled water and used the measuring lines on the bottles. But it was extremely hard to pour the powder into the bottle without spilling some, without clumping in the dispenser or without the powder leaking into other compartments. I immediately stopped using the dispenser because too little or too much powder can lead to constipation or diarrhea, and incorrect caloric intake.

Now, we pre-make bottles at night for the next 24 hours. So, if we go out, we bring the bottles with us in a small cooler (fits in the stroller basket). We don't have a bottle warmer for when we're out (I just run the bottle under hot water for a bit - I also gradually got my baby used to cold milk just in case), but I saw a thermos bottle warmer at ToysRus that you can look into. You boil water before you leave, pour into the thermos and there's a compartment in the middle for you to put the bottle in to warm it up.

If I'm going out and I don't have pre-made bottles then I measure powder and leave it in empty sterilized bottles. I have a thermos that I use to hold pre-boiled water and a separate container with measuring lines that I use to measure water before I pour it into the bottle to mix. The separate container is actually a salad dressing mixer that I found at Kitchen Stuff Plus. It has a cap that screws on so it won't get dirty and the measuring lines are accurate. Becareful when you use the lines on baby bottles because we realized that they weren't accurate. We use Avent bottles and the lines are underestimated. We used the lines for a little while before I checked the accuracy. It explains why our daughter was gaining weight so fast lol... more powder than water = more calories.

Also, when you switch to powder, look into the Dr. Brown's formula mixing pitcher. Makes it really easy to make formula in batches with no bubbles.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
8073 posts
259 upvotes
Toronto
at1212b wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2015 10:09 pm
Food basics. I buy this regular formula as my daughter is allergic to cow's milk, and it's $18.99 at food basics, while at Walmart and Shoppers it's $20.99. Rexall (near my work downtown in the Path) is $22.99!
have you tried the latouse free milk ?
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9090 posts
1042 upvotes
Toronto
akito925 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2017 11:24 am
have you tried the latouse free milk ?
Heh, no. That brand was also discontinued. But my daughter 'lost' her allergy to milk, so she drinks that now.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
3627 posts
468 upvotes
Richmond
alucky17 wrote:

Chinese usually use boiled rice water or barley water to make the formula from powder. The general view is that powder is "hot" and can lead to constipation, so something cold "rice water or barley water is used to counterbalance that. To make rice water, I'm told to boil the water with a small scoop of rice until the rice turns into little puffs. My uncle used barley water for his grandson on powdered. My mom used rice water for me on ready made liquid formula. Barley is supposedly more cool than rice so depending on the hardness of your water it might be advisable to stick to rice water.
alucky17 wrote:

often times superstore will have weeks where you get free stuff for spending over 250, Quite often they do 25 000 pc points for spending over 250 and that's worth about 25 dollars.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)