Food & Drink

Where to buy bbq spices (in bulk) for wedding favours?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2019 3:44 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
3748 posts
535 upvotes
West Side GTA

Where to buy bbq spices (in bulk) for wedding favours?

So I've been put in charge of doing the wedding favours for a family member (150-200 ppl). They are doing bbq dry rub spices, since they both enjoy bbq'ing. I'm wondering, where do you guys go to buy a TON of dry rub in bulk order? Recommendations on the spice (they wanted a variety for guests to pick and choose before leaving the wedding)

I realize, once i get the spice i'll have to assemble it in house with "shakers", any recommendations for this?
12 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23987 posts
9522 upvotes
-=phelan=- wrote:
Oct 6th, 2019 10:24 pm
where do you guys go to buy a TON of dry rub in bulk order?
I've never purchased 2240lbs of spices before. This is like direct importer level where you're buying a pallet or two.
Recommendations on the spice (they wanted a variety for guests to pick and choose before leaving the wedding)

I'd make my own at this point. Or steal their recipes since they're the ones that like BBQing.
It'd be silly to buy a premade rub especially at the volumes you're talking about. Maybe not an actual literal ton, but a 5oz jar x 500 people (if you're handing out more than one jar plus extras for variety) means 150lbs of spices.
Even if it was one 5oz jar x 200 people that's still 62lbs of spices.

Those types of volumes are easily achievable through someone like Wholesale Club which sells 5lb units of various spices.
Since you're probably doing an "all in one" with salt, the bulk of your volume is salt and sugar. 10+:1 which means that for 62lbs of of rub you'd need one 50lb sack of sugar, either a 50lb sack of salt or a bunch of smaller units but the 50lb sack would be cheaper since it's only like $7 vs $1+/kg, 1 or 2 5lb jugs of paprika would probably do it. Then infill with 32oz of whatever they put in their rubs.

Scale the above up if you actually need 150lbs. Or 2240lbs.
Even 2240lbs wouldn't be that bad since the bulk of a rub is sugar/salt. If you subscribe to 8:3:1:1 that's only 1400lbs of sugar or 28x50lb sacks. Costco would have this easily. 516lbs of salt is only 10 sacks.
I realize, once i get the spice i'll have to assemble it in house with "shakers", any recommendations for this?
Uline sells glass jars for about a buck to $1.50 each.
China would also be an option but a quick look for something "nicer" returns $2USD per jar. Looking harder would probably drop this.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1201 posts
380 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
You might try Johnvince Foods

https://www.johnvince.com/retailstore

here's their catalogue, spices start on page 108. I can't see a specific BBQ rub, but maybe you could mix your own:

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/a70756_1 ... 17ccd3.pdf

In the alternative, you could drive to Buffalo and pick some up at Penzey's. I don't see anything larger than 1.5 lbs, but I'm pretty sure they fill bulk orders. Of course it would be more expensive than the above.

https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/ ... p-327/pd-s
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2491 posts
474 upvotes
-=phelan=- wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 6:29 pm
Thanks for the advice guys, will have to do some research as i got a few months to get it all done.

Going to costco to check out pricings as well.
Go to the Costco Business Center on Eglinton. They carry restaurant size containers that the regular Costcos don't.
Aug 12, 2012
794 posts
327 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Lots of BBQ rub recipes here: https://www.thespruceeats.com/bbq-rubs-4162649

A simple way to have a bit of variety: Pick a sweeter recipe, make a huge pot of it. Scoop out half of it into jars or bags (however you're going to distribute it), then add extra pepper and cayenne to the remainder and you've got a 'spicy' version.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8302 posts
1315 upvotes
Toronto
shutterbug wrote:
Oct 15th, 2019 1:22 pm
Go to the Costco Business Center on Eglinton. They carry restaurant size containers that the regular Costcos don't.
Don't you need a Costco Business membership to shop there?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23987 posts
9522 upvotes
gh05t wrote:
Oct 16th, 2019 1:24 pm
Don't you need a Costco Business membership to shop there?
I'm pretty sure a regular membership will do just fine since it does say "all" locations world wide.
Dec 31, 2007
401 posts
103 upvotes
nope. i think regular costco member should be able to go in. you can buy big containers of spices at a decent price since the business center caters to restaurants and small businesses.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
5771 posts
2365 upvotes
I'm visualizing OP stirring together 62 lbs of salt, sugar and spice in the tub...

Honestly I think you want premixed.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23987 posts
9522 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Oct 16th, 2019 7:44 pm
I'm visualizing OP stirring together 62 lbs of salt, sugar and spice in the tub...
I mean... you could do it in batches.

Or better yet toss it in a bag and throw it in your dryer.
Now you get toasted spices too!
Don't actually do this.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
5771 posts
2365 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Oct 16th, 2019 11:13 pm
I mean... you could do it in batches.

Or better yet toss it in a bag and throw it in your dryer.
Now you get toasted spices too!
Don't actually do this.
Home Depot, concrete mixer.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
2764 posts
2582 upvotes
GTA
House of Spice, bulk spice store at Kensington market

Bulk Barn sells every spice you'll need. They have 15% off sale on bulk spices once in a while