• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2011 11:04 am
Tags:
None
Jul 20, 2005
691 posts
2 upvotes

Where to buy Blackstrap molasses?

I need more iron. so I heard Blackstrap molasses contains lots of iron. Anyone know where I can buy some? Specifically in ottawa or any big chain store
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5406 posts
170 upvotes
BC
you should be able to find it in any grocery store, in with the regular molassas.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2006
1007 posts
You'd be better off taking iron supplements if you are anemic.
If you are a little low in iron then red meat, liver and dark leafy green vegetables are good. Molasses has high iron but you'd need to consume lots of it to make a difference.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2001
5275 posts
31 upvotes
..iron can be constipating so adjust your diet accordingly...Dr. Alkapone (Unlicensed)..and for good reason :razz:

...do a google for 'good' iron sources. Google is your friend. :)
:twisted:
[OP]
Jul 20, 2005
691 posts
2 upvotes
First, I don't eat meat. Second, I don't want to take tablet multivitamin. I want to get all my required nutrition from plant based food.

I went to Independent and saw a Crobys family Cooking Molasses. Not sure if I can drink it without cooking. 1 tbsp gives 15% daily iron!

:!:
I thought Bulkbarn sells only dried nuts,grain,fruits. Never thought they sell syrup! Thanks, I'll check it out.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2006
1828 posts
2 upvotes
netriones wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2008 1:36 am
First, I don't eat meat. Second, I don't want to take tablet multivitamin. I want to get all my required nutrition from plant based food.

I went to Independent and saw a Crobys family Cooking Molasses. Not sure if I can drink it without cooking. 1 tbsp gives 15% daily iron!

I thought Bulkbarn sells only dried nuts,grain,fruits. Never thought they sell syrup! Thanks, I'll check it out.
They have an entire section with every molasses you can think of.
Aug 23, 2008
13 posts
1 upvote
Timmins, Ontario
sorry to revive this thread months later... but I do know quite a bit on this subject and thought I would give my 2 cents worth...

Blackstrap Molasses has great contents of iron, and I take it for my anemia. It only took a week of taking one to 2 tablespoons daily of BSM where I started feeling the healing effects of it, and after 2 weeks, I had more energy and my problems were very minimal and continued to get better the more I took it.

Iron supplements may be great for some... but for many, they can possibly work for a short time, but the body is unable to break down the nutrients from it enough for it to be beneficial.

Eating liver for it's supposedly "large" contents of iron is a HUGE misconception and old wifes' tail and your local butcher can tell you all about it! Which actually makes sense when you think of it... liver helps us absorb our nutrients and protects us against what is bad for us, why would it be good for us to eat when the liver of animals does the same for them as it does for us.

And another thing that 'yellowdog' has mentioned which is incorrect, you do NOT need large amounts of blackstrap molasses in order to gain the benefits of having more iron and other nutrients it contains. The nutritional facts on the containers/jars of BSM which I have tried in the past display 15-20% of our daily requirement in only 1 to 2 tablespoons per day. If you can have 2 tablespoons once or twice a day, you can obtain your daily requirement of iron effortlessly... as well as other nutrients such as calcium, copper, magnesium, potassium, etc. And if you don't get much as it is, or enough, just one or 2 tablespoons a day will help... believe me.. I know, I've tried it.. and I've read many testimonials of others having iron efficiencies and anemia who have reaped of the health benefits that BSM has to offer!

I've purchased mine in various grocery stores, but yesterday purchased 2 Crosby Blackstrap Molasses containers from Independent. I have also found it being sold in the organic section of a couple stores (those who have those sections). They can usually be found either in the baking section, syrup isle, or as stated, organic isle(s). If you are lucky to get the chance and see a variety of companies who sell it in the store, make sure to check the nutritional value and see which has a larger amount of nutrients for a smaller portion. Also... checked for unsulphured molasses as much as you can. Unsulphured is best for you as the sugar cane root has not had any additives or chemicals given in order to "mature" it... the root has been given time to grow and been cultivated at the correct time. If the product states Sulphured Blackstrap Molasses, the sugar cane root has been cultivated prematurely and has been given additives and chemicals in order to mature it and make it "okay". Unsulphured is better for you. Unfortunately, Crosby's does not state which it is, but I am in the midst of informing myself with them through email.

I also just found out yesterday, that indeed, Bulk Barn does sell it. They do mostly sell dry items, but they do have items which are in white buckets and of which are filled and covered, and they supply 3 different sized containers in which you can fill. They have fancy molasses which, don't be fooled, can say that it has the same nutritional facts as the BSM, BUT, far for the same amount as you would for BSM... you need much MORE fancy molasses to make up for the nutrients that BSM has for just 2 tablespoons. And of course, they have a bucket for BSM.. they also have other items such as margarine, etc. I personally thought it was cheaper at Bulk Barn... at our location... approx $1.26 for a pound, or .26 cents for 100 grams. I will be purchasing it from there next time I am in need.

If ever you'd like to discuss the topic further, feel free to message me.

:cheesygri
Jan 2, 2008
57 posts
4 upvotes
I tasted it and found it very sweet ...wondering would it increase my sugar level?
Aug 13, 2008
367 posts
4 upvotes
As it tastes different/less sweeter than other similar looking molasses.It has a rather distinct bittersweet somewhat liquorish flavor

I am no expert but ...
sugar levels are effected differently by the type of sugar ingested.
simple sugar-processed ( fructose.....) gets used by faster and goes to liver, and then to fat.

BSM has complex sugars and other minerals as well, hence it metabolizes differently. Something also to do with bio availability of iron. BSM is rich in calcium, an essential mineral to up-regulate pH levels, while white table sugar contributes to acidifying the body.

But yes it is still sugar, healthier but not all that healthy!!!!!!
please do more research if u are concerned abt. sugars.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
49 upvotes
netriones wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2008 1:36 am

I really like Floravit iron
gnc and nutrition house sell it.
it is a liquid, all natural and really works.

My iron is always low if I do not take it.
my doctor actually told me that it would not work and only prescription iron does. but this product is only what works for me and every time I get my iron tested after taking it is is almost normal.
I have to remember to take it though.

it is not super cheap, but works very well.
I usually pay $35 for 500ml and lasts a few weeks.
Sep 25, 2011
5 posts
MISSISSAUGA
Tried taking Iron supplements (ferrous sulphate )for last three years off and on…but it did not help…Ferritin was 4 now it has infact gone down to 3…all my hair have shed…i have a big patch on the front and the temple of the head which shows a total hairloss…..nothings working for me…I am a vegetarian…..Please advice if Blackstrap Molasses can help me???
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2484 posts
210 upvotes
directapply09 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2011 10:37 pm
Tried taking Iron supplements (ferrous sulphate )for last three years off and on…but it did not help…Ferritin was 4 now it has infact gone down to 3…all my hair have shed…i have a big patch on the front and the temple of the head which shows a total hairloss…..nothings working for me…I am a vegetarian…..Please advice if Blackstrap Molasses can help me???

If you're eating molasses, you're doing it wrong. It only works if you're rubbing it on your head.
× < >