• Nov 12th, 2018 3:25 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2009
2051 posts
1117 upvotes

Where to buy bones for broth?

Hi RFD,

Where do you buy your bones to make broth?

TNT has beef bones, but at $6.35/kg, that seems quite pricey. Seeing if that is the norm or are there alternatives?

http://imgur.com/SmSAccI

I don't see it all supermarkets.
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5625 posts
1267 upvotes
Markham
Be specific... What kind of both do u want to make?

Beef ,pork, chicken ....

I presume beef based on second line but just asking
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2009
2051 posts
1117 upvotes
I am mainly looking for beef bones, but would probably like a source for all 3.
Jul 14, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote
for chicken i usually use buy a whole chicken butcher it and use the carcass/bones and wing tips to make the broth.
For pork, I use feet. it's cheap...

unfortunately, i've never made beef stock
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1824 posts
587 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
They shoud be available at most butcher shops.
Diversity is Our Burden
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31153 posts
5892 upvotes
Ottawa
timonwong wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 12:25 pm
Hi RFD,

Where do you buy your bones to make broth?

TNT has beef bones, but at $6.35/kg, that seems quite pricey. Seeing if that is the norm or are there alternatives?

http://imgur.com/SmSAccI

I don't see it all supermarkets.
Probably more expensive in a store that would have customer base for this. Try a butcher shop that deems bones more as scrap than a usable product. TNT caters to a population that makes more broths and soups.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
4640 posts
1657 upvotes
T&T looks like it has some lame bones; a lot of them are straight marrow bones. I think you want knuckle bones? They have a lot of cartilage on them full of collagen that gives so much more flavour and gelatin. Plus they usually have some meat trimmings on them, and they are loaded with marrow. More flavourful, nothing like those stones T&T wants to sell you.

My mother's strategy was to go to the butcher and claim the bones were for the dog so she needed the cheapest price lol. Had to be a knuckle bone because she wanted the cartilage for the dog to chew. I just had better luck and dignity at independent Asian stores and they usually have both pork and beef bones. For chicken I would consider using skin-on chicken legs with back attached from a discount grocery. They have cartilaginous joints, lots of skin and bone, flavourful dark meat.

For something fancy I would hit a deli like Brant Meats for a smoked pork bone - they will cut it up for you.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2005
6471 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
Try the other Asian Supermarkets... Beef Neck Bones are what I use for good pho or bun bo hue.. if I want an extra treat.. oxtail
Heat 43-0-0
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
1004 posts
449 upvotes
Toronto
Asian markets or local butcher shops.
Dec 1, 2016
100 posts
27 upvotes
For the chicken bone, the nations fresh food has 1.7$/bag, about 3lbs or more , and Ocean food charge 2$/bag, all are Asian market. I do not konw about beef bone but sure btrust or Benthanh , chinese market has it in GTa.
Dec 8, 2008
107 posts
45 upvotes
Winnipeg
We are able to get Veal bones for free at a local Italian butcher.
May 7, 2008
576 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
I hope this doesn't raise the price at my suppliers!

Just to contradict myself in another thread, I do buy 3 average sized chicken carcasses at Upper Cut Meats or Brown Brothers (both at St. Lawrence Market) for around $2 for 3 carcasses. A bag of 2LB beef bones runs for around $3.

I get frozen and sometimes fresh lamb bones from Sanagan's Meat Market (in Kensington) for about $0.99/lb - not usually displayed but ask for them in the back. They also sell beef bones at $1.99/lb from West Grey cows, that they keep in the refrigerator.

T&T is also a reliable source but can be 3X as expensivce.