• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2018 2:00 pm
[OP]
Jul 15, 2006
736 posts
26 upvotes

Where to buy camping items

Hey folks,

We'll be going camping for the first time with young kids this year. Our friends who are experienced campers will be there, which is a relief.

Gotta buy items such as tent (5 person.. was suggested pop-up), air mattress (or sleeping bags), and a whole list of other supplies.

Wondering if there's a particular store (or 2-3 stores max) to get all the shopping done.

Thank you!
27 replies
Mar 14, 2006
887 posts
382 upvotes
Toronto
MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op)
Mar 24, 2016
459 posts
387 upvotes
scarborough
Canadian tire for sleeping bags, coolers, stove, chair, mattresses etc. air pump, Tarps this stuff goes on sale often

Sail stores, Atmosphere, Canadian tire, Bass Pro, Cabela, Walmart

Just dont cheap out on a tent. Get a good waterproof one and dont forget the tarps for rain and for shade.

there used to be Lebaron and tent city but i think they are gone

My tent i have had for 10 years and still going is an Eureka Tent. Very good tent and waterproof. i bought a for the kids but on heavy down pours, water goes in the tent.
Mar 24, 2016
459 posts
387 upvotes
scarborough
Shop-a-holic wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 12:01 pm
I'm guessing MEC is relatively pricey?

mec is very pricey

They would have stuff for people who portage into campgrounds

Mec does sale camping but i find them too expensive
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3677 posts
4888 upvotes
Ontario
Cdn Tire for the win and a reason to rack up some Cdn Tire e-money (now called Triangle Rewards) at the same time.

GOod idea is to see which items are stocked at a store close to you-might be the deciding factor if you buy there or order online or trek farther to a store with most or all of your items in stock.
Summer 2018-retro candy and treats time
[OP]
Jul 15, 2006
736 posts
26 upvotes
Thank you folks!

Will check out CT for sure and will look into deals at MEC and other retailers.

Though I have a huge checklist of items to gather, is there anything that's fairly essential, but not found on checklists?

We will be going end of August, so hoping it's not too cold by then, as I was advised to bring plenty of warm gear.
Feb 4, 2010
914 posts
305 upvotes
A good portion of my outdoor gear (except sleeping bag and water filter) is from Kijiji...andgear swaps! Almost everything for my kayak is off of Kijiji. I bought 2 tents (practically brand new) as well, I setup the tents before paying to make sure they were in good shape.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1581 posts
95 upvotes
tent or two if the campground is large enough so you can get it on.
Sleeping bags all around, get an air mattress for yourself if you find lieing on the ground rough. Depending on the time of the year it will be nice to have that space buffer since the ground will be cold.
I had a foam floor mat before but I found a bunch of condensation was under the mat and it was gross. Not sure if I was supposed to lift the foam after.

hmmm actually I do have a checklist, some stuff is duplicated, some stuff I copied from other checklists and I don't necessarily bring with me.

crocs
clothes
swimwear
towels
beach blanket
hats
sandals
water jug
ice
nutella
bread
hotdogs
hamburgs
granola
tuna/sardines
can opener
eggs
butter
honey
oatmeal
tea
hash browns
smores
popcorn
cards
games
board games
wash tub
dishes
cutlery
soap
large water bottle?
cooler
aluminiom foil
paper towels
tongs
oven mit
scrub pad
spatula
[ ] Cutting Knife
[ ] Large Serving Spoon
[ ] Strainer
[ ] Pots and frying pans with lids
[ ] Griddle
[ ] Mugs/paper cups
[ ] Mixing bowl
[ ] Measuring cups
[ ] Cutting board
[ ] Soup Ladle
[ ] Coffee Pot
[ ] Cooking oil/Pam spray
[ ] Cork Screw
[ ] Skewers/grill forks
[ ] Pie irons
[ ] Potato peeler
camera
tripod
umbrella
pail and shovel
tarp x 2
dust buster?
tent
pegs
duct tape
matches
lighter
grill?
food poles
water bottles
sunscreen
bug spray
aloe
kobo
book
lightsource
camp stove
propane
pillow
sleeping bag
air mattress
camp chairs
table cloth
table cloth pins
kitchen tent
watch
hammer
extra stakes
dust pan/brush
air puimp
repair kit
garbage bags
newspaper
rope
clothes pin
deodorant
toothbrush
chapstick
gps
compass
candles
sunglasses
bandaids
quarters/loonies
multi tool/knife
umbrella
Dry bag
plastic bags
bike tube repair
bike ppump
beans
chili
quinola
camisol lotion
rock small fry pan
cast ironpan
the correct pills
small plastic bags for various garbage during the week
slat and pepper and seasonaings
kitchen scrubbies
more ropes
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2052 posts
1458 upvotes
Vancouver
My top 3 must-haves for camping that often get overlooked by newbies:

1) Tarps. Essential. Bring at least 3. Cover your cooking and eating areas, your lounging area, and use as a ground sheet under your tent. They're need for sun protection as much as for rain protection.

2) Sleeping pad. Don't get one of those thick air-only inflatable mattresses that you inflate with a bicycle pump or vehicle-powered electric pump. Get a proper Therm-A-Rest or similar sleeping pad. It makes all the difference between sleeping comfortably and being miserable.

3) A bag of McGyver things like clothes pins, electrical tape, zip ties, matches, string...

MEC is more expensive but you can't beat the quality for camping gear. If you think camping is something you'll be doing regularly, then get quality gear. Sleeping bags I bought in the 1990s from MEC are still going strong.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
10774 posts
1352 upvotes
RFD
Speaking about tarps, you can get them on the cheap at Dollar Tree (everything for $1.25 each). You can also get some other camping items at Dollar Tree to save some $$, they have a variety of camping related stuff.
explorer11 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 12:03 pm
Canadian tire for sleeping bags, coolers, stove, chair, mattresses etc. air pump, Tarps this stuff goes on sale often

Sail stores, Atmosphere, Canadian tire, Bass Pro, Cabela, Walmart

Just dont cheap out on a tent. Get a good waterproof one and dont forget the tarps for rain and for shade.

there used to be Lebaron and tent city but i think they are gone

My tent i have had for 10 years and still going is an Eureka Tent. Very good tent and waterproof. i bought a for the kids but on heavy down pours, water goes in the tent.
Kiraly wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 3:21 pm
My top 3 must-haves for camping that often get overlooked by newbies:

1) Tarps. Essential. Bring at least 3. Cover your cooking and eating areas, your lounging area, and use as a ground sheet under your tent. They're need for sun protection as much as for rain protection.

2) Sleeping pad. Don't get one of those thick air-only inflatable mattresses that you inflate with a bicycle pump or vehicle-powered electric pump. Get a proper Therm-A-Rest or similar sleeping pad. It makes all the difference between sleeping comfortably and being miserable.

3) A bag of McGyver things like clothes pins, electrical tape, zip ties, matches, string...

MEC is more expensive but you can't beat the quality for camping gear. If you think camping is something you'll be doing regularly, then get quality gear. Sleeping bags I bought in the 1990s from MEC are still going strong.
May 20, 2010
778 posts
78 upvotes
Start at Costco - they have a decent seasonal section around these parts. Could probably find a tent, sleeping bags, sleeping pads and some odds and ends. Other than that, Canadian Tire and Walmart should have the rest, Princess Auto will have some odds and ends as well (tarps, cookware, etc).
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12668 posts
2255 upvotes
London
Offspring22 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 4:49 pm
Start at Costco - they have a decent seasonal section around these parts. Could probably find a tent, sleeping bags, sleeping pad..
+1 for Costco. Many places don’t accept returns for leaky tents, even if it’s leaky right out of the box. It’s probably better to test assemble the tent and check right after buying.

If there’s a leak, some stores forces you to deal directly with the manufacturer for warranty. Its probably because some folks abuse the store return policies ( buy a tent for a camping trip, then return when done)